Idea on how to provide additional revenue for the modder community

domixlt

Hey, a while ago I had a pretty decent idea that has sat on my mind for quite a while.

Please keep an open mind when reading this.

Most of you reading this might be really experienced at installing mods/finding resolutions for compatibility issues, etc., but a new person just joining the community might be absolutely clueless about how to do it. Sure there are a ton of guides, compatibility issues stated in mod descriptions, a helpful community, but it is very importand to understand how important convenience is. A new person coming to nexus for the first time might be overwhelmed with the knowledge they have to acquire just to be able to succesfully mod a game like skyrim. And the more mods they install, the more issues arise, not to mention people with a poor undestanding of the english language and inability to read/interpret guides/install instructions/etc, also there are tons of people who are just too lazy to read the guides and put in any effort into bettering the game, because it's not worth their time. I think that is a market opportunity.

What if there were thematic modpacks that had all/most compatibility/load order issues resolved, decent descriptions, updated reguraly. And all a user needed to pay a one time fee and click download and install.

These modpacks could sell for ~5-10$ and revenue split among modders whose mods are actually included in those packs. Of course mods would still be available for download individually for free.

The only real problem I see with this is legal issues with bethesda, idk if that is possible to resolve.

Edited by domixlt

The only real problem I see with this is legal issues with bethesda, idk if that is possible to resolve.

dont forget permission from all the mod authors and the fact that the Nexus site doesnt allow that. (though i think it has to do largely with the asking for permission thing.

From the Terms of Service:

Do not upload compilations of other users work irrespective of whether the authors of the work you would like to compile together have agreed to your using their work in your compilation. For example: no "my favourite mods" lists or "best weapon" compilations.

Do not upload files that require users to pay any sort of financial sum for parts or all of your file. You cannot charge money for the files you upload to Nexus sites.

- and I doubt Bethesda would be happy with it, since they wouldn't be getting a cut of the take.