Removing gendered language towards player - possible? How?

jaycravn

I want to make my game refer to the player with gender-neutral language (person instead of man/woman, they instead of he/she etc).

1) Is this possible? The only game I've ever modded is Sims 2, in which editing game strings was very simple, but I highly doubt it would be so with Skyrim.

2) If it is possible, would it be so difficult that someone with as little experience as me would be completely incapable of doing it, or would it just take a very long time due to the amount of text in the game?

3) If it is possible both in general and for myself specifically, does anyone have any advice on how I would go about doing it? Would I have to edit each instance of gendered language individually, or could I have a mod which returns, for example, 'they' when the game asks if it should say 'he' or 'she' ?

Thank you!

Thank you for your reply. I had looked there before a little, but not very much. Would it be possible to edit the audio with instances of the new words from elsewhere, or will the edited dialogue always be voiceless?

The text changes would be easy but very, very tedious both to find and to edit. You would also want to change all of the conditions referencing sex at the same time. Again, that's not hard but tedious. The audio editing is a bit harder but the biggest problem will still just be the massive number of edits required and the fact that you can't automate the process.

• 3 years later...