(PETITION) unskippable video adds cross the line

mikeloeven

I was thinking how about adding some sort of maybe a shirt site in which we make it so 50 precent or more of the money goes to the nexus site itself.

I would buy a Tes Nexus or fallout nexus shirt any day! It can bring some money. Not a lot but still would not be a bad idea. What do you think?

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'll chime in here too. I don't download a lot, and I only contribute when I feel like what I have to say will be helpful to someone.

I bought Premium membership because I do have some notion of what it costs to run a site like this, and, I believe that the entertainment value alone is worth the cost of membership.

Unless you're a pirate, you spend $20.00 to $50.00 (USD) for a game. The downloads available here extend the value of these games by far more than the cost of the games themselves; by simple arithmetic, that makes the cost of premium lifetime membership a great deal.

Frankly, If I were Dark0ne, I don't know that I would have lifetime membership, as that just limits the revenue stream to a single payment.

To sum up; Nexus offers an outstanding service to a large number of members. If the price to pay for this is watching some ads, well, deal with it.

As everyone keeps saying, if you hate the ads so much, get yourself a premium account (if possible). If it's not possible, save your pennies until you can :)

Or how would you like a Rapidfiles system that makes you wait 15 minutes between each download and then 60 seconds before it starts with no video, no nothing... just sitting there. :blink: It would take you an average of 2 hours just to download 5 mods. Now THAT is a terrible system.

I tried adding pop-unders, they failed because of the negative connotation they have with adware/spyware/malware (and I listened to these complaints and acted accordingly) and I'm quickly running out of revenue streams I can try. So far the only complaint about these ads is that (1) the sound has no mute, which is annoying but I'm not sure I can do anything about it and (2) "OMG I HAVE TO WAIT 30 SECONDS TO DOWNLOAD!"...these complaints are not enough for me to remove a necessary revenue stream from the sites.

While I know your opinion and that of many of us differs when it comes to pop-unders, I think the switch to video ads was a good thing. I hope you can see these complaints here about them now as just inevitable small speed bumps on the road toward further success for your site.

I really dont think a Petition is gonna help here! The ads are one way to help keep the site running, to give us access to the 1000's of mods we download and use for FREE! over multiple games..

Like others have said, If these ads bother people SOOOO much, it only cost a few bucks to become a Premium Member....jeez, i found the money for mine in my couch! (not really but...) :thumbsup:

I to realized that keeping this and the other sister sites running is a costly expense, i to hated the ads, i bought the premium membership, oh look....No Ads!....there are different kinds of memberships you can buy....so check your couch. :tongue:

Anywho.....ya. :biggrin:

Daynox

The other thing y'all need to remember is this:

None of the staff, from Dark0ne right on down to BlackBaron2 (who moderates chat) don't get so much as a penny for being on staff.

It's strictly a volunteer thing - their hobby if you will.

The mods might be volunteering, but I don't believe for one second that the site owner is dishing out the kind of time and money it takes to keep these sites up without bringing in at least a little more than they cost. Call me cynical :P

Don't get me wrong, I don't have any problem with this site paying for itself, or even making money. However, only a small % of people will actually take the time to complain about something that bothers them, so I think it's very safe to say the number of people who are upset about this change is much more than you see actually posting about it. Many people just go elsewhere.

Personally I find the video ads very annoying. It's not as bad as the add-viruses I've gotten from here, but when I get the video on every single file I download it is excessive (IMO). I have my cookies on and even enabled 3rd party cookies for each session, so I have to assume that the site is set up to force the ad every time. Time will tell whether the annoyance begins to outweigh the convenience. I have always liked this site more than any other TES/Fallout mod site I've been to, despite the ads. It really comes down to whether the revenue generated from people that continue to use the site outweighs the number who leave because of the ads. I expect that will take time to see, and only Dark0ne can look at the site stats to determine that. I can't justify the expense of membership right now due to personal reasons, but might reconsider that if my financial situation improves. There is a little voice inside my head that rebels against the idea of paying to get rid of an annoyance though

Cheers,

Vaul

3 pages down and only one person has volunteered an idea which might be capable of replacing some of the adds.

No thread of this type will go anywhere, or achieve anything given that it relies on one, two maybe 3 people assuming that for something they consider "invasive", everyone else considers it in the same way. I consider them mild compared to most of the alternatives out there, and I know there are a fair few who agree with me.

I suggest we change the direction: If a portion of the site bothers you so much, ask for information on it, such as what role it performs and how much it contributes($/%). With that knowledge go and find alternatives, run them past someone who has experience and if they are ok with them then start up a thread and get public support for them. Just complaining against a section isn't going to achieve anything: while it works, its not worth the effort to find a new way.