New ransomware targets game files!

t3hWAR10CK

I searched the forums for this topic already and could not find it so I decided to start. This is very important information!

Anyway there has been a new set of ransomware programs making the rounds on the internet recently called Tesla Crypt and Alpha Crypt. These new programs are designed to encrypt all game files including ones for Skyrim and such. They encrypt the files with the AES-256 Symmetric Block Cipher which has been approved by the NSA for protecting top secret data and then demand bitcoins in exchange for the key to decode them. (The program itself claims to have encrypted them with 2048 bit RSA but that is not true.)

Here is the article: http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/virus-removal/teslacrypt-alphacrypt-ransomware-information

If your files have been affected then there is a program that can decrypt the files on your computer by the Cisco Talos Group (Yes actually use that name.). And there are also a few others that work with the more recent AlphaCrypt listed in the article too.

Best bet. Make a full backup now. Store it somewhere safe. Then if this, or some other malware infects your computer - Nuke it. Do a full format and reinstall windows and all of your programs. Do not even reply to any ransome demands as that gives them your email, isp and some other basic info that they can use to target you. By not replying, they get none of that, and that lessens the chances of being infected again.

Remember to update your backup every so often.

Also make sure that you keep an air gap between your backup files and your computer since both programs will search for connected drives and encrypt them too. Keep your backups isolated from the computer. Also watch out for what you download off of other sites as this malware can spread through that too and via covert drive-by downloads from compromised webservers (sites). Keep your anti-malware up to date and also it is best to maunally scan all files you download from any site before opening them.

Personally I only backup my libraries and program and game files since the OS files are expendable and can be reinstalled at anytime.