How can I change the order of Infos in a Topic Info Stack?

BeamerMiasma

Hi all,

I have a topic with a number of Infos. Each Info has some conditions checking for specific actors (GetIsID) or faction membership (GetInFaction). It's basically just your bog standard Topic where the exact wording of the reply depends on which actor you are talking to. Over time this list of Infos has grown quite a bit, and in order to optimize the number of conditions I need to check on each Info, I wanted to move some of the Infos to the top of the stack so they get checked first.

That's when the trouble started. For the life of me I cannot find a way to do this in CK. There are no buttons to move an Info up or down, drag and drop doesn't work in either the dialogue view or the Topic window, and I haven't been able to find any hotkey to do this. Also, copying an Info always puts it directly below the Info you are copying, so I cannot move Infos to the end of the stack by making a copy of them either. So I opened TES5Edit and added a PNAM (Previous INFO) record to each Info, pointing to the Info that should come before it, with the top Info in the stack having a NULL pointer. This is exactly the way things are set up when you create a topic with multiple Infos in the CK.

Now when I load the mod in CK, I get a number of these errors:

QUESTS: Could not find previous info (0400E024) for TopicInfo (0400E025) in Topic "SLECDialogueTrainersAskTopic" (0400DF9C).
QUESTS: Could not find previous info (0400E001) for TopicInfo (0400E002) in Topic "SLECDialogueTrainersAskTopic" (0400DF9C).
QUESTS: Could not find previous info (0400E007) for TopicInfo (0400E008) in Topic "SLECDialogueTrainersAskTopic" (0400DF9C).
.. etc.

I know for a fact the error descriptions themselves are bogus. The Infos it claims are missing exist for sure, they have the same parent Topic, I can see and access them correctly in both the CK and in TES5Edit, there's nothing wrong with them and for all intents and purposes they are exactly the same as the Infos for which these errors are not generated. The only problem is that the Infos with these errors are still in the wrong position in the stack. I checked and double checked the entire linked list for duplicate, missing or incorrect pointers and circular references, but I cannot see anything wrong with it.

All suggestions how to solve this are welcome, ideally I'd like a way to re-order my Infos in the CK, but a TES5Edit solution is welcome too, heck I'd dive inte a HEX editor and do some editing there if that could solve the problem as recreating the whole dialogue branch from scratch is going to cost me several hours.

For those struggling with the same problem, here's how I managed to fix it:

1. Create a new topic in the same branch.

2. Go into the topic with the wrongly ordered infos, right click the info that should be first in the stack, select Move To Topic and choose the new topic you created.

3. Repeat step 2 for all infos in the order in which they should appear in the stack.

4. Finally delete the original (now empty) topic, and optionally rename and set the type of the new topic.

This will make all the topic infos appear in the correct order in the new topic.

• 5 years later...

This is an old topic, but for anyone that stumbles upon it like I did - the left and right arrows can be used to change the order of the infos in a topic, topics within a group, or the order of the groups themselves.

EDIT: Just realized this is in the Skyrim section so it may not be possible (since this is how it works in Fallout 4). Sorry!

• 2 months later...

This is an old topic, but for anyone that stumbles upon it like I did - the left and right arrows can be used to change the order of the infos in a topic, topics within a group, or the order of the groups themselves.

EDIT: Just realized this is in the Skyrim section so it may not be possible (since this is how it works in Fallout 4). Sorry!

Confirmed this also works for Skyrim, but had to do it under the "Link To:" box in the main conversation Topic Info. However, I only used this to change the display order of the dialogue topics in-game.

• 6 months later...

Thank you so much for this info.

I guess this is a well kept secret.

I am working on a mod converting the existing personnel in Levelers Tower to trainers, but the dialog order in the CK Player Dialogue (TrainingBranch) was wrong. With your simple "trick" to use the arrows to move the lines up and down I am all set.