• This topic is locked This topic is locked
14 replies to this topic

gruberscomplete

gruberscomplete

Journeyman

• Members
  • Pip
  • 32 posts

So I've been playing skyrim, stopped for a while, and now nmm won't open, as in, I right click on the shortcut as administrator, and shows a loading sign on my mouse, "the pointer with the glass", and it won't start. Never gets to loading screen, or splash screen.

Please help!

DuskDweller

DuskDweller

Resident poster

• Premium Member
  • 3,091 posts

Uninstall NMM removing config files when asked, then install the latest version and make sure to select the previous Install Info and Mods folders (to restore your mods list and install settings).

BlackfoxKitsune

BlackfoxKitsune

Regular

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 99 posts

exsact Same problem. :confused: its looking like there are a few posts on this problem now to. (might be time to mash them all together?)
I'm running windows 8 its claiming its not compatable, but it was running fine a little while ago. I've also done the uninstall and reinstall, run as user and admin. it does not work you still get left with a NMM that wont load.
I am now starting wonder if it might be a windows update thats done this.

Oh its worth posting this agian to, for the sake of this OP. On the reinstall launch it will do something and it will be the only time the error message comes up.

" Unable to Execute File: C:\Program Files\Nexus Mod Manager\NexusClient.exe  
CreateProcess failed; code 740. 
The requested operation requires elevation."

Edited by BlackfoxKitsune, 11 July 2015 - 11:21 AM.

gruberscomplete

gruberscomplete

Journeyman

• Members
  • Pip
  • 32 posts

Hello moderator, I really DO NOT WANT TO uninstall nmm cuz I would lose all my mod progress and I would have to start a new save. Isn't there another way to fix this? 

I fixed it once by going to c\users\"username"\appdata\local\blacktreegaming\  and then deleting something there, I tried to delete stuff there but it still doesn't load, isnt there another way?

BlackfoxKitsune

BlackfoxKitsune

Regular

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 99 posts

Hello moderator, I really DO NOT WANT TO uninstall nmm cuz I would lose all my mod progress and I would have to start a new save. Isn't there another way to fix this? 

I fixed it once by going to c\users\"username"\appdata\local\blacktreegaming\  and then deleting something there, I tried to delete stuff there but it still doesn't load, isnt there another way?

hi one user to another, I have uninstalled NMM a few times for all kinds of reasons, and still kept my mods intact. I always back them up, key to everything these days. The other thing to do which is where the nexus log in comes in handy is track & endorse mods you like. They also show up under your profile under download history.

anyway I think you might find the NMM Wiki useful.
http://wiki.tesnexus..._and_load_order
What OS are you running? because I have got this horrid feeling a window's update on our frameworks could be responsible for our NMM's just suddenly not working. As we both seem to have they were working fine on skyrim one day, we stopped for a month or so to play other games and such, come back and NMM  just doesn't load. If you run windows trouble-shooter it will tell you why. Mine claimed to suddenly not be compatible. So I uninstalled and reinstalled as the mod here said for you to do, got the error message when it tried to launch after install, I then tried running it again as admin, it failed to load, so I ran the trouble-shooter and it tells me that it is not compatible with windows 8, I have since tried running it with the windows 7 emulator, still fails to load and still reading as incompatible. :/ the sudden way in how NMM stopped working points at a windows update somewhere messing things up for us.

It is also worth pointing out that my boyfriend is running windows 7 on his desk top and is having no trouble at all with nexus. However my desktop runs windows 8 and my laptop is running 8.1 and both are having issues running nexus.

Edited by BlackfoxKitsune, 12 July 2015 - 02:40 PM.

BlackfoxKitsune

BlackfoxKitsune

Regular

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 99 posts

Ok Gruber Before you resort to reinstalling I'm going to give you some things to check and change. I've got mine working I'm hoping this will help you.

Go to your NMM Icon and go to properties > then go to tab Compatibility
While you are in the compatibility tab check "compatibility mode" and try and run it as win 7 (if your using 8.1) if your using 8 and its running as win 8 leave it.
 Now while still in the Compatibility tab at the bottom there is a sub heading "settings" the only check box that should be ticked is "run as admin"

Next go to tab "Security" you will see a list of users, you need to click on each one and go to the edit tab and click on the check box "full control" and apply this to each and every user in that list. Click apply.

Then try and run your NMM manger by right click your mouse over the icon "run as admin"

If that fails I'm sad to say you are going to need to reinstall and do all of this from the set up exe and that WILL fix the problem.

gruberscomplete

gruberscomplete

Journeyman

• Members
  • Pip
  • 32 posts

how do I back up my mod files?

Also I'm going to switch to mod organizer.

BlackfoxKitsune

BlackfoxKitsune

Regular

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 99 posts

well the newer NMM leaves mods intact on uninstall I've had to uninstall this time (just trying to find a way to fix it, so it has infect been un-installed 11 times I am hoping to spare you that that pain.) and much to my pleasant shock I've so far not had to re-download any at all, and this time I have not backed up any mods.

I am going to use Skyrim like the wiki, because Skyrim is easy to remember. once you get the idea of it you can apply it to all games. I like to open 2 windows for this task to just make transfers easier. One window open in my new folder, and the other window open in the file I'm going to copy.

How to back up your games and Mods on NMM

1. create a folder on your desktop or somewhere you can remember to find on your heard drive (or cloud drives), name it something like Mod backup

2. click on this new empty folder and create 4 more folders
    a: Data
    b: ini
    c: install info
    d: Plugins

3. Back up your games Data folders (for example: C:\Steam\steamapps\common\skyrim\data) by copying ( not moving ) all the files to do with your games in the game data folder into your new backup/data folder  (for games like Skyrim you can skip the default BSA files)

4. Go to your nexus mod manager for the games you are backing up (Example: C:\Nexus Mod Manager\skyrim ) and again Copy (not move) the content of the install info into your new backup/install folder.

5. Go to where your games ini files are located. (Example: My documents\My Games\Skyrim) and again Copy (not move) the <game>.ini and <Game>.prefs.ini files into your new folder backup/ini.

6. Go to where your game plugins.txt and Loadorder.txt are located. (Example: C:\Users\<your User name>\AppData\Local\skyrim ) You may need to find the folder by using the address bar if you have not turned on hidden files on your computers' settings. Once you have located the files once again Copy (not move) the LoadOrder.txt and plugins.txt files to your new Backup/plugins folder.

Restoring your NMM back to your Backup Settings.

This is something like how to back it up but doing it backwards.

1. go to your games Data folder and copy the contents of your back/data folder into it. (Say yes to overwrite if asked)

2. Go to your NMM folder for skyrim (or appropriate game you've backed up), open the install info folder and delete everything then copy across the content of your backup/install folder into it. 

3. While still in your NMM game's folder go to the Mods folder and delete the modprofiles and VirtualModActivator if they exist.

4. Got to where .ini files are located and overwrite them with your Backup/ini

5. Go to where the loadorder.txt. and Plugins.txt files are located and again overwrite them with your backup/plugins folder.

stephanos57

stephanos57

Journeyman

• Premium Member
  • 40 posts

Hi, I am suffering the same problem.This morning loading NMM or adding mods from Nexus just shows the loading screen. In the last 2 days Wiindows has added 28 updates.

The NMM problem started after these updates were installed. I will try a system restore to pre update date and see if the problem is rectified.

I will post my findings

DuskDweller

DuskDweller

Resident poster

• Premium Member
  • 3,091 posts

If you have issues running NMM, please post here: http://forums.nexusm...ager-open-beta/

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: nmm, start, wont

Page loaded in: 1.164 seconds