Dragon Age "freezes" pc

Gaoxin

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

ok then all I can suggest is that you uninstall the game again, make sure all DAO folders are deleted (I mean all) both on the c and wherever else you install it. Remember there are two sets of Folders so make sure there are none left.

Keep your mod files hidden (ie the ones you've carried over) and then re-install the game again. Patch up one at a time and test ie install DAO patch to v1, if that works patch to v2 see if that works. Install DAA and it patches itself then test, if all is well then save the files or create a restore point, then patch to v4.

If its ok doing it step by step then try some mods

Let me know how it goes.

you know now you've mentioned it, I don't have DX11 on this machine only DX9a, could that be the problem, trying to run it on a 64bit using a lower spec DX??

A long shot for sure, but what do you think?

Discussion on this site: http://www.sevenforums.com/gaming/140166-dx11-problem.html........... seems to indicate that Dx 11 is backward compatible, that is, if you have a game that likes/requires Dx 9x, then Dx 11 will run it as Dx 9x.

So, even if my DA:O launcher says Dx 11, it is running Dragon Age at Dx 9x.

Mystery continues

Oh another hope dashed lol. We keep trying then, there must be a workaround for this problem to say the least.

It could boil down to:

Vista vrs Win 7

32 bit vrs 64 bit

Is there any description of the problem in the event log?

The event log might also indicate what might happen every 0:08:3x minutes. Is there some virus check? (just pulling stuff from the air here).

What other programs would be running in the background? If yours is a newly built machine there might not be much. On mine, about the only program I have installed is Dragon Age but there are a host of things listed under applications that are running that I do no know the nauture of and with which I do not mess.

But, even if there were...... why would your other games be un-effected?

Edited by Codifer

Nothing for me, all I get is some serious lagging and then Win7 closes down with a Windows has encountered a problem and needs to close like message. Maybe it is a problem of copying files from one os to another like Gaoxin, but if they try installing the game like I said and one step at a time maybe we can pinpoint the problem and it maybe a mod that is causing this.

These posts are a year or so old but do seem to describe the "freeze" problem.

http://social.bioware.com/forum/1/topic/58/index/529436/1

This is a post in that Bioware thread from "Ammobake" I hope that I can post this without getting into trouble.

"I think I fixed my problem. I've been playing for about an hour with no hiccups yet and everything seems a lot smoother than before.

This is how I did it:

1. I went to the microsoft website and downloaded and installed the latest version of the DirectX software. I downloaded and installed

a.."DirectX Redistributable (August 2009)

b.."DirectX SDK (August 2009)"

Both files can be found at the following URL (you may need to copy and paste it):

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/en/resultsForProduct.aspx?displaylang=en&productID=9C954C37-1ED1-4846-8A7D-85FC422D1388

NOTE: The executable file for the "DirectX SDK (August 2009)" is over 500 mb in size. I have cable modem and it took me 20-30 minutes to download it. I'm still not even sure if it is required to play Dragon Age. But I figure it doesn't hurt to make sure you're current. Download/install of "DirectX Redistributable (August 2009)", the other file, goes pretty fast.

2. I downloaded and reinstalled the latest patch for Dragon Age (1.02a). It took me 5 days to figure out where the patches were on this website... When I did it before, I got the patch from an outside website. Simply click on "Games" (above), Select "Dragon Age Origins", then "Game Patches". You do not need any of the previous patches either. The patching is retroactive, meaning installing the 1.02a patch will keep you current. I just wish they'd have a link to the patches on the homepage (which they don't....).

For some stupid reason, If you've already installed the latest (1.02a) Dragon Age Origins patch from Bioware, reinstalling it seems to result in an error message. Hopefully they fix this. But the secondary program that runs the patching for 1.02a should go through and tell you that all the latest files are already there (one by one).

3. I downloaded and installed the latest driver for my vidcard from the Nvidia website. (Ensuring vidcard driver was current).

4. Once the vidcard driver was installed, the computer rebooted.

NOTE: If you have the videocard, itself, set up to run differently for certain games or programs, Installing or reinstalling the driver will reset the vidcard to default settings (which means you will have to reset all your individual program settings). If you're like me and use "Global settings" for everything you do it isn't such a big deal. I'd expect that most people smart enough to configure program-specific video card settings would know this.. but you never know.

When you run dragon age, you shouldn't have to change any video settings at all unless you just want to. But I tested it out with a couple different configurations and everything seems to work fine without any freezes/crashes.

I'll keep you guys posted if I have any other crashes. But so far everything is running great and the game seems so much smoother than before too (for whatever reason).

-ChriS"

Also this one"

http://www.unigamesity.com/dragon-age-origins-crashes-freezes-and-problem-fixes-and-solutions/

Which seems to deal with 64 bit.

It would almost seem that Dragon Age is more than a bit picky.

Or...... it is cursed. About twenty minutes into this searching my machine..... um.... froze. Had to shut Windoze. The MAKER does NOT want you to know!

Cheers

http://image-upload.de/image/O2K1cP/a82a51e7f2.jpg

this thingy here helped: http://social.bioware.com/forum/1/topic/58/index/189269#189314

disable core 0 and 1 for i5 users. Tested for 30min, no freeze, so I guess its solved. In case its still buggy and crashes after 30 minutes, Ill post a frowny pic :O

Oh, and thank you two for the help and additional research!:D

Edited by Gaoxin