Dragon Age "freezes" pc

Gaoxin

Hi Codifer I've opened the links and will download and test tomorrow, I'll let you know how I get on.

Gaoxin, I'll check out your link also and see if that helps resolve the problem.

What a team we are lol.

Researching and finding solutions, thanks guys I'll let you know if it works for me.

Take care for now

Naomi

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Naomis,

Any luck so far in curing your slow down issues?

In some of the threads I read, there was an indication that Dx 10 and Dx 11 are not as fully backwards compatible as advertised. There was some suggestion of installing both Dx 11 and Dx 9.0c. I have no idea how that would work or if it is even possible. I will look a bit further.

Cheers

Just checking that I have everything I need in case the worst case scenario pans out and I have to reinstall after doing a full wipe lol. Will be working on it over night to get the problem resolved hopefully one way or another. May need to check my bios also as its a new card and processor and the settings may be limiting my speeds (never thought of that as I don't tend to muck with the bios in case I blow it up lmao).

Will drop a line through the night to let you know how I go.

Thanks for your help and advice as I'm sure this thread will help others with similar problems.

Naomi

Naomi,

I understand your trepidation about the bios.... but there is always an option to reset defaults. I feel the same way about updating drivers.... I always figure that the screen will go black or sideways and stay that way. But even drivers can be rolled back.

Have your mama board manual handy and you will do alright.

Cheers

-.- ..and here we go again. Seems like I was too hasty with my success picture. Tried DA2 today, with the same result: it freezes my pc after a few minutes, doesnt matter if I play in dx9 or 11. My DA:O and DA:A does it also. Created a thread at bioware forums ...bleeeeeeh

I even installed win7 64 yesterday, and it still freezes my PC.

I can run pretty much all games without problems, but DA and DA2..hooorrraaay :|

Edited by Gaoxin

Damn.

I should have sacrificed something larger.

I was starting to think that somehow your DA:O install disc was corrupt but if DA:II will not play either.......

The memory leak thing is one known issue with DA:O but there must be some other condition unique to the game that does not like one or more of your settings.

After you set the CPU core usage to one, what was the longest duration of play before the problem manifested?

Did the settings for your CPU core revert to default when you installed DA II?

We shall keep trying.

Just to be clear, Gaoxin can't have installed DA2, just the Demo, which doesn't have the entire core game mechanics. DX11 support, (and who knows what else) isn't included.

But still, with that rig DA:O should run fine. Something else is going on. I have had DA on my Win7/64-bit, QuadCore, 8GB RAM system since I got the game in 2009. I have had some CtD issues, and found a workaround for them (the "Large Memory Area Flag" fix) but the precise, repeatable nature of Goaxin's problem points to something else.

Perhaps an anti-malware utility that scans executables/services when they attempt to contact the internet (which DA does to validate the "authorization" of DLC)? Perhaps a disc clean-up utility is being triggered? Don't know. But SOMETHING is set off at 8:30 after start that ISN'T happening on over a million other people's systems!

Good point Thandal. The curious thing is that whatever is happening affects only Dragon Age.

I just installed DA2 and did notice the choice presented for installation; Custom or recommended. I remembered that Goaxin said that she used "Custom". Not that I would know the difference.

DA2 will not run in my configuration...... it is looking for Dx 9.

I am in no hurry to start fiddling with things this morning. Perhaps tomorrow.

Cheers