• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

NinthArcher

NinthArcher

Fan

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 302 posts

OK, I'd like to start off by apologizing if this is the wrong section. I'm not sure if this belongs in the Technical Support or General Discussion. 

I have heard that overwriting a Manual Save is supposedly bad. That I should delete the old manual save, and then create a "new" save. I have searched the internet to the best of my ability for a tangible source explaining "why" this is the case. I have failed to find such, and now I am doubting the validity of this claim. To be honest, it all sounds rather ridiculous to me. 

I always have multiple saves, backups are indeed a blessing. However, deleting a save, then replacing it does become rather tedious at times, regardless of how small the task sounds. I get a lot of freezes and crashes when exploring, likely because of my 200 mods I have active. With that said, persistent saving is important. I have considered using the "save" commend in the console, which would be much faster than saving through the pause menu. The problem is that the save will overwrite other saves.

I would like to know if this "Overwriting is bad" rumor is just a Skyrim ghost story or if it is something to worry about. If it is real, please provide a bit of information explaining why. From what I have read, it seems to be a rumor that was carried from TES:IV Oblivion to Skyrim. 

saurusmaximus

saurusmaximus

Faithful poster

• Premium Member
  • 1,906 posts

I've been doing that for as long as I have been playing Skyrim, and I've never heard that nor experienced any problem from doing so.  There is no reason why it should be a problem, you are simply replacing one file with a new one.

DoctorKaizeld

DoctorKaizeld

That's Miss Dr. Sir Inquisitor to you

• Premium Member
  • 10,365 posts

yeah that is the biggest load of garbage i've ever heard. odds are it was created as either a trolling comment or someone misunderstanding something related to overwriting certain mod/vanilla files.

MotoSxorpio

MotoSxorpio

quod creare nostra res

• Premium Member
  • 6,391 posts

yeah that is the biggest load of garbage i've ever heard. odds are it was created as either a trolling comment or someone misunderstanding something related to overwriting certain mod/vanilla files.

Yep.

There's nothing carried over from an old save when manually saving and then saving on top. However, sometimes using Autosaves or Quicksaves can be detrimental as autosaves do not pause the game for the save, scripts are still running and things can end up missing. Using an Autosave/Quicksave should be in extreme circumstances only for this reason.

Safe saves=Manual through console or Main Menu saves.

Edited by MotoSxorpio, 14 July 2015 - 11:12 PM.

NinthArcher

NinthArcher

Fan

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 302 posts

Yep.

There's nothing carried over from an old save when manually saving and then saving on top. However, sometimes using Autosaves or Quicksaves can be detrimental as autosaves do not pause the game for the save, scripts are still running and things can end up missing. Using an Autosave/Quicksave should be in extreme circumstances only for this reason.

I suspected as much. There really wasn't any tangible evidence backing up the rumor. Thank you guys for the help. Cheers. 

Edited by NinthArcher, 14 July 2015 - 11:40 PM.

MotoSxorpio

MotoSxorpio

quod creare nostra res

• Premium Member
  • 6,391 posts

Yep.

I suspected as much. There really wasn't any tangible evidence backing up the rumor. Thank you guys for the help. Cheers. 

:thumbsup: Happy Gaming!

digitaltrucker

digitaltrucker

Meh

• Premium Member
  • 2,090 posts

I use autosaves and quicksaves all the time, although I only have it set to autosave on travel.  I've never had a single problem with a quicksave, and only once or twice had an issue with an autosave (and that time it wasn't the autosave per se, it was a mod being a bad dog).

MotoSxorpio

MotoSxorpio

quod creare nostra res

• Premium Member
  • 6,391 posts

I use autosaves and quicksaves all the time, although I only have it set to autosave on travel.  I've never had a single problem with a quicksave, and only once or twice had an issue with an autosave (and that time it wasn't the autosave per se, it was a mod being a bad dog).

If you get good performance, I think it's possible to use them. I only save on sleep/rest. The issue is when an autosave is made say when you cross cells during CW with say Deadly Dragons and CW Unrest mods, just at the moment they are getting scripts run, a quicksave or autosave will be missing references. Those eventually can become corrupt. Not saying EVERY autosave and quicksave. I am saying that Menu save or console save is safest for long playthroughs. :)

digitaltrucker

digitaltrucker

Meh

• Premium Member
  • 2,090 posts

Ayup, as always, your mileage may vary ;)

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: save, saves, overwriting, skyrim, stability, corruption

IPB skins by Skinbox
Page loaded in: 1.101 seconds