Split-second freezes during dialogue cutscenes

balthazar9086

Hi guys,

Dragon Age was running fine up until a few days ago when I started noticing these split-second freezes every 1-2 seconds during dialogue scenes. The freezes are very short, so the dialogue scenes look like they're stuttering. I haven't added any mods at all except for two weapon mods, both of which have been uninstalled. At any rate, the freezes didn't start when I installed the weapon mods.

FYI, my system is OC'd, but resetting the OC didn't remove the problem. I will provide my system spec below along with an abbreviated list of mods I have installed.

Core i5 @ ~3.00GHz

8GB G. Skill Ripjaws

XFX Radeon HD 5850 1GB

Windows 7 64-bit Home

Mods for DA:O Ultimate Edition:

1. Dragon Age Redesigned

2. Dialogue Tweaks

3. Combat Tweaks

4. Improved Atmosphere

5. JBTextures (removal had no effect on problem)

6. No Auto Deactivation

7. Allow Permanent Summons

8. Bodahn Tweaks

9. Quartermaster Tolby

10. Alistair Dialogue Patch

I'm at a loss for the moment, and very tempted to simply leave the game alone and wait for my copy of DA2.

Edited by balthazar9086

You have three mods here that all have changes to dialogues. I trust you have made sure that you have followed the instructions to make them compatible with each other?

For instance in Improved Atmosphere in group 2. there is are dialogue tweaks here that need to be removed to make sure that the dialogues with Leliana are not interfered with if using Dialogue Tweaks and ADP. Then you also need to make sure that there is only 1 Alistair main dialogue etc.

Weapons mods would not normally interfere with the dialogues.

Please check the compatibility of the dialogues in there respective readme's and if you still have problems let me know and I'll have a rethink.

Regards

Naomi

You have three mods here that all have changes to dialogues. I trust you have made sure that you have followed the instructions to make them compatible with each other?

For instance in Improved Atmosphere in group 2. there is are dialogue tweaks here that need to be removed to make sure that the dialogues with Leliana are not interfered with if using Dialogue Tweaks and ADP. Then you also need to make sure that there is only 1 Alistair main dialogue etc.

Weapons mods would not normally interfere with the dialogues.

Please check the compatibility of the dialogues in there respective readme's and if you still have problems let me know and I'll have a rethink.

Regards

Naomi

Hmm, IA's readme file didn't say anything about it not being compatible with DT and ADP. Should I go through IA's dialogue files and delete everything related to my companions?

Well it seems sometimes the quick freezes would happen pretty early in the gaming session, but other times it could take up to 15 minutes. This is either the dreaded memory leak that others have reported and I have somehow missed, or I need to do a complete reinstall of my game. Would keeping my saved games allow me to pick up where I left off once I've uninstalled and reinstalled the game?

Heyas Bal-

well, at least your's is handling it relatively well. Mine sometimes completely locks up during cutscenes.

Most likely, it's a memory issue. When you're playing, go into the program manager and kill any processes that you know you don't need running at the time.

See if that helps out any.

You can also do a clean up on your system; along with a defrag of your hard drive(s), if you havent lately, and that will take up a lil bit less resources that windows itself would be using. I prefer to use a combo of WinOptimizer and Ccleaner for this task, but Ccleaner being the freebie, works to satisfaction by itself.

EDIT- You can also shut down the game, wait a min or two for it to release ram, then try starting it up again. That might help. Or rebooting never hurts either.

I'd recommend backing up a copy of your savegames. That never hurts, regardless of what is going on. I also back up my screenshots folder, if you're the type that takes screenshots.

Myself, I always just make a backup copy of the entire documents/bioware/dragon age folder. But that's just me, cuz blank DVD's are relatively cheap :D

But yes, you can restore your saved games from a backup copy, if need be ;)

Good luck with the stuttering. Thats gotta be annoying! :(

Heyas Bal-

well, at least your's is handling it relatively well. Mine sometimes completely locks up during cutscenes.

Most likely, it's a memory issue.

Indeed it is! At this point I'll be satisfied to just get DA:O working flawlessly (at least to my eyes) with the bare minimum of mods installed. I'll be getting rid of any mod that might even be related to the stuttering...sigh...

Heyas Bal-

Most likely, it's a memory issue.

Indeed it is! At this point I'll be satisfied to just get DA:O working flawlessly (at least to my eyes) with the bare minimum of mods installed. I'll be getting rid of any mod that might even be related to the stuttering...sigh...

Well the problem is still there after a fresh install. I'm pretty sure that it's not my mods that's causing this, but rather the memory leak/i5 quad core problem that plagues this otherwise stellar game. I say this because, as before, the dialogue scenes in the early stages of each gaming session is smooth as silk, but after about 15-20mins of gameplay, I start to notice the subtle split-second freezes yet again. I will try disabling my frame buffer next, but if that fails, I'm afraid I'll just have to abandon this game and move on to DA2 without an import character from DAO.

Balthazar,

I am very much less than knowledgeable in regards to the quirks of Dragon Age. However, in attempts to solve some of my own array of practical jokes, I have read some possible solutions to the "Multi Core/Memory Leak" business. I believe that there is a solution which involves disabling all but a single core of your cpu. Please wait until others with much more expertise weigh in on the practicality and effectiveness of such an undertaking. Thandal and DarkeWolf seem to be much more informed than I. It would seem, however, that this problem could be solved and that you might not need to abandon Dragon Age.

I have an AMD 3 core which behaves itself. I seem to recall, now that I think of it, that in looking at my system specs in the Dragon Age start screen that it does list "one core". I could be wrong and I will check.

Realize that taking computer advice from me is much like getting investment tips from Lehman Brothers. Hell, I just had to change "DrakeWolf to DarkeWolf".

Cheers (and wait to see what Thandal and DarkeWolf have too say.)

BAlthazar,

I just checked the Dargon Age launcher configure screen.

My Specs:

CPU AMD Athlon II x3 445

CPUs 1 # cores 1 Clock Speed 3099 Mh

Physical Memory 3.25 Gb

Page File 6.49 Gb

Mine seems to work with these specs.... no stutter or freeze.

It would be interesting to see how the configure screen sees your setup.

Cheers

On thinking about this, only one core is in operation unless under high load so it is possible that Dragon Age only detects one core upon installation, hence it does list only one. I am now curious.

All I know is that I never changed the number of cores or the page file. These are both things that I would attempt only at gunpoint.

Cheers