Split-second freezes during dialogue cutscenes

balthazar9086

My config is given thus:

CPU - Intel® Core2 Duo CPU E4500 @ 2.20GHz

#CPUs - 1 #Cores - 2 Clock Speed - 2206 MHz

Physical Memory - Total 3.25 GB

Page File - Total 5.09 GB

Display Adapter - NVIDIA GeForce 8500 GT VRAM - 512 MB

I don't have any problems with stuttering during cutscenes; I do, however, suffer from slight choppiness & lag during exploration and combat.

Well Sync, it looks as though Dragon Age is reading both of your cores. Curiouser and curiouser.

My first wonderment is how does Dragon Age "read" this value and (pulling this one out of middle earth) does Dragon Age differentiate between Intel and Amd CPUs? For that matter, is there an operational difference between Intel and Amd?

I understand telescopes, hammers , Audis and red-headed women but this computer stuff is the work of the devil.

Cheers

Well Sync, it looks as though Dragon Age is reading both of your cores. Curiouser and curiouser.

My first wonderment is how does Dragon Age "read" this value and (pulling this one out of middle earth) does Dragon Age differentiate between Intel and Amd CPUs? For that matter, is there an operational difference between Intel and Amd?

I understand telescopes, hammers , Audis and red-headed women but this computer stuff is the work of the devil.

Cheers

Here's what DA config utility says about my system:

Processor: Intel Core i5-750 @ 2.67GHz // # CPUs = 1 // # Cores = 4 // Clock Speed = 3.204GHz

Memory: Total = 7.99GB // Available = 5.99GB // Used = 2.00GB

Page File: Total = 15.9GB // Available = 13.8GB // Used = 2.11GB

Alas, I've only been able to find a fix that works around my problem: by disabling "frame buffer effects" under Video options, I've been able to completely remove the stutter during dialogues & gameplay...so far

I will keep my fingers crossed, but at this point, I'm willing to suffer the lack of frame buffer effects if it means having smooth gameplay. What I really don't understand is how it went from silky-smooth gameplay & dialogue scenes on the same rig to the problem I've been experiencing...sigh...

That happens sometimes. In my game, King Cailan's armour changed from shiny and reflective one day to rather dull the next. I have no idea why. Lots of mysteries in Dragon Age. I suspect that the solution is something simple.

To quote Flemeth: ".... it's always in the last place you look..... like socks."

Cheers

If you suspect that it might be a memory related issue you might consider this:

http://www.thenexusforums.com/index.php?/topic/215630-need-some-help-here-pleaserandom-crashes/page__st__10__p__1891783__hl__%2Bfallout3+%2Bmemory+%2Bfix__fromsearch__1#entry1891783

"Large Memory Area Flag Fix"

I believe that it may deal more with the weirdness that Patch v1.03 introduced a while ago. It might be something to consider even if it is an extreme long shot.

Cheers

http://www.thenexusforums.com/index.php?/topic/215630-need-some-help-here-pleaserandom-crashes/page__st__10__p__1891783__hl__%2Bfallout3+%2Bmemory+%2Bfix__fromsearch__1#entry1891783

I believe that it may deal more with the weirdness that Patch v1.03 introduced a while ago. It might be something to consider even if it is an extreme long shot.

Cheers

Thanks! I will try this right now. Also, a quick question, are there some dazip mods that you're not supposed to use DAModder to install? I looked in my Dragon age folder in My Documents last night and couldn't find the folders for Dialogue Tweaks, but it was installed with DAModder. After uninstalling it using DAModder and then reinstalling with DA updater, the folders appeared.

Edited by balthazar9086

Cheers

Thanks! I read through the thread but can't seem to find a link that directs me to download the fix...or is it simply a modification that I'd do to the executable myself?

The original fix was posted on the BSN by akanounnikoff.

It's about halfway down the page. Here's the link: "FO3 Large Memory Area Flag Fix - also works for DA!"

Hi guys,

Dragon Age was running fine up until a few days ago when I started noticing these split-second freezes every 1-2 seconds during dialogue scenes. The freezes are very short, so the dialogue scenes look like they're stuttering. I haven't added any mods at all except for two weapon mods, both of which have been uninstalled. At any rate, the freezes didn't start when I installed the weapon mods.

FYI, my system is OC'd, but resetting the OC didn't remove the problem. I will provide my system spec below along with an abbreviated list of mods I have installed.

Core i5 @ ~3.00GHz

8GB G. Skill Ripjaws

XFX Radeon HD 5850 1GB

Windows 7 64-bit Home

Mods for DA:O Ultimate Edition:

1. Dragon Age Redesigned

2. Dialogue Tweaks

3. Combat Tweaks

4. Improved Atmosphere

5. JBTextures (removal had no effect on problem)

6. No Auto Deactivation

7. Allow Permanent Summons

8. Bodahn Tweaks

9. Quartermaster Tolby

10. Alistair Dialogue Patch

I'm at a loss for the moment, and very tempted to simply leave the game alone and wait for my copy of DA2.

You know, I am having the same problem and it is slowly getting worse. The only place that I have a freeze is just after the Landsmeet cutscene and Alistair/Anora confront the Warden about the choice for the crown. I can't for the life of me figure out why it is sticking, but I have to shut the game down as it eventually freezes to the point where it is not moving at all. I know it is not a memory issue, as I have lots of memory on the installation. I thought maybe it was Video related so I updated my video drivers, etc. Still nothing. I am going to try one more last ditch effort and run the game absolutely clean and see if it could possibly be coming from an add-on. Any thoughts on something else would be great. Thanks.