Alright, well simply turning off HDR is probably not an option for me tbh, without it, the game looks a lot worse to me.

I can't seem to find this 'ForceWare' program. From the looks of it, through internet research, it seems obsolete and old. I can't seem to find a proper download for it.

And for DSR, I have no idea what I'm doing with that thing...

Welp, looks like the score so far in the technical difficulties department is Gamebryo: 5, Me: 0.

Man, I hate dealing with old Bethesda (Obsidian) games.

ForceWare = nVidia drivers.

DSR will be activated there too - see this article for more information:

https://techreport.com/review/27102/maxwell-dynamic-super-resolution-explored

Ok, thanks now I understand what you mean a little better.

I've already tried forcing AA through both Nvidia Control Panel and Nvidia Inspector if that's what you mean. No effect had taken place in-game so I ditched that idea, tbh I always though that forcing AA and enabling AA in-game is the same thing? Is that true?

I guess I'll try DSR, but without guidance I am pretty terrible with these 'ForceWares'.

See MotoSxorpio's answer for the guide on nVidia Inspector as well. As far as the rest:

In theory AA from the drivers and AA "in-game" (from whatever configurator or in-game menu or whatever) should be the same, however it is not always, depending on the game. Some games are incompatible with MSAA or other conventional means, which is where DSR comes from (you have the GPU render at an even higher resolution than your monitor and scale the output back down, which should be compatible everywhere), and some games also add support for things like FXAA (e.g. Skyrim) which requires developer support to work properly. There's also other forms of AA that most games won't expose, like SSAA and CFAA, which you would need to configure externally.

I've had mixed results over the years with creating profiles for New Vegas with nVidia or ATi driver (from what I've seen, both nVidia and ATi ship an application profile of their own and it seems to sometimes conflict with the profile you may create yourself), and usually what I do instead is just go into the control panel and make whatever settings I want as a global setting (e.g. just set 8x AA on all the time) and then remember to turn it off if I'm going to play another game where it may be a problem. This has worked much better, but you may run into a situation where a game that previously had worked suddenly is lagging, and you have to remember to go back and turn off the AA/AF settings you had ticked on earlier.

TheSleepwalker: There's no "requirement" for AA at any resolution, nor is there any resolution where AA becomes entirely unnecessary (that is, jaggies will always exist, and are still likely visible at 1080p, especially depending on monitor size). The argument that a given high resolution will negate AA is more based on pixel density than static resolution, but even having seen very high density displays, AA can still have some visual advantages.

Edited by obobski

Alright, well simply turning off HDR is probably not an option for me tbh, without it, the game looks a lot worse to me.

I can't seem to find this 'ForceWare' program. From the looks of it, through internet research, it seems obsolete and old. I can't seem to find a proper download for it.

And for DSR, I have no idea what I'm doing with that thing...

Welp, looks like the score so far in the technical difficulties department is Gamebryo: 5, Me: 0.

Man, I hate dealing with old Bethesda (Obsidian) games.

ForceWare = nVidia drivers.

DSR will be activated there too - see this article for more information:

https://techreport.com/review/27102/maxwell-dynamic-super-resolution-explored

Ok, thanks now I understand what you mean a little better.

I've already tried forcing AA through both Nvidia Control Panel and Nvidia Inspector if that's what you mean. No effect had taken place in-game so I ditched that idea, tbh I always though that forcing AA and enabling AA in-game is the same thing? Is that true?

I guess I'll try DSR, but without guidance I am pretty terrible with these 'ForceWares'.

See MotoSxorpio's answer for the guide on nVidia Inspector as well. As far as the rest:

In theory AA from the drivers and AA "in-game" (from whatever configurator or in-game menu or whatever) should be the same, however it is not always, depending on the game. Some games are incompatible with MSAA or other conventional means, which is where DSR comes from (you have the GPU render at an even higher resolution than your monitor and scale the output back down, which should be compatible everywhere), and some games also add support for things like FXAA (e.g. Skyrim) which requires developer support to work properly. There's also other forms of AA that most games won't expose, like SSAA and CFAA, which you would need to configure externally.

I've had mixed results over the years with creating profiles for New Vegas with nVidia or ATi driver (from what I've seen, both nVidia and ATi ship an application profile of their own and it seems to sometimes conflict with the profile you may create yourself), and usually what I do instead is just go into the control panel and make whatever settings I want as a global setting (e.g. just set 8x AA on all the time) and then remember to turn it off if I'm going to play another game where it may be a problem. This has worked much better, but you may run into a situation where a game that previously had worked suddenly is lagging, and you have to remember to go back and turn off the AA/AF settings you had ticked on earlier.

TheSleepwalker: There's no "requirement" for AA at any resolution, nor is there any resolution where AA becomes entirely unnecessary (that is, jaggies will always exist, and are still likely visible at 1080p, especially depending on monitor size). The argument that a given high resolution will negate AA is more based on pixel density than static resolution, but even having seen very high density displays, AA can still have some visual advantages.

Realize that DSR is only available on 970-980.

True: higher resolution needs less AA...and AA does smooth the picture out, but poor implemented AA like FXAA can leave a glow around your player character and possibly screw with enhancements like DOF and Bokeh, rendering blotches instead of pretty bokeh and blur from DoF. I can attest to AA sometimes being necessary...Big monitors with lower resolution (like mine; 1360x768) But in such cases, using textures closer to your resolution helps with the jaggies, eg, for horizontal resolution under and up to 1080, 1k textures usually do the trick. hopefully the authors of such textures rebuild the mipmaps for each texture as well (some don't, because scaling is faster than mipping). There are many factors especially when modding comes into it.

Between us, you've got plenty of starting places. Good luck @ OP.

Don't get me wrong but... Why enabling AA (especially at highest setting) if you're playing in 1080p, which I assume you do? It's a useless ressource overkill imao.

The issues you described are really similar to what you can get when overclocking your GPU too much, but other members above seems to know your issue better than me. Is your GPU OC'ed?

Really? Aliasing is sooo noticeable and distracting on 1080p, shimmer everywhere, jagged faces, guns, lamp posts, hills etc. Ugh it's so gross.

nVidia Inspector is what I use for tweaking game profiles instead of Nvidia Control Panel. You can use it to change the AA compatibility from "0x2000000" to "0x200100C5". You cannot do this with Nvidia Control Panel. Then change "Treat 'Override any application setting' as 'Application-controlled'" to "None" instead. Once these have been tweaked, you should be able to adjust AA from the normal Nvidia Control Panel, and get AA and HDR.

Get a brief guide and link for nVidia Inspector here: http://wiki.step-project.com/Guide:NVIDIA_Inspector

Unfortunately, that method didn't seem to work. I've tried forcing AA through only Inspector, I've tried forcing AA through Control Panel and I've tried doing both like you suggested. Nothing's worked.

I guess I'll just stick to ENBs, Enhanced Shaders is the most vanilla ENB out there...

I was thinking about forcing AA as a global setting, but like you said, I would have to remember to keep turning it off/on again after again.

Edited by RogueSeagull

Realize that DSR is only available on 970-980.

True: higher resolution needs less AA...and AA does smooth the picture out, but poor implemented AA like FXAA can leave a glow around your player character and possibly screw with enhancements like DOF and Bokeh, rendering blotches instead of pretty bokeh and blur from DoF. I can attest to AA sometimes being necessary...Big monitors with lower resolution (like mine; 1360x768) But in such cases, using textures closer to your resolution helps with the jaggies, eg, for horizontal resolution under and up to 1080, 1k textures usually do the trick. hopefully the authors of such textures rebuild the mipmaps for each texture as well (some don't, because scaling is faster than mipping). There are many factors especially when modding comes into it.

Between us, you've got plenty of starting places. Good luck @ OP.

Re: 970/980 - on the first page he/she said this was on a GTX 980; should be good to go.

I agree with everything else you said.

Don't get me wrong but... Why enabling AA (especially at highest setting) if you're playing in 1080p, which I assume you do? It's a useless ressource overkill imao.

The issues you described are really similar to what you can get when overclocking your GPU too much, but other members above seems to know your issue better than me. Is your GPU OC'ed?

Really? Aliasing is sooo noticeable and distracting on 1080p, shimmer everywhere, jagged faces, guns, lamp posts, hills etc. Ugh it's so gross.

nVidia Inspector is what I use for tweaking game profiles instead of Nvidia Control Panel. You can use it to change the AA compatibility from "0x2000000" to "0x200100C5". You cannot do this with Nvidia Control Panel. Then change "Treat 'Override any application setting' as 'Application-controlled'" to "None" instead. Once these have been tweaked, you should be able to adjust AA from the normal Nvidia Control Panel, and get AA and HDR.

Get a brief guide and link for nVidia Inspector here: http://wiki.step-project.com/Guide:NVIDIA_Inspector

Unfortunately, that method didn't seem to work. I've tried forcing AA through only Inspector, I've tried forcing AA through Control Panel and I've tried doing both like you suggested. Nothing's worked.

I guess I'll just stick to ENBs, Enhanced Shaders is the most vanilla ENB out there...

The shimmer may also be related to texture filtering - do you have AF enabled? Also if you don't have it ticked-on, transparency AA will help too.

hence...AA +HDr sucks for dat game, right?

lol

This is kind of sad to hear - I honestly did not encounter these kinds of problems with nVidia cards for Oblivion/Fallout 3, and have not seen them with my newer Radeon cards in New Vegas or Skyrim. The GTX 660 had some minor issues in NV but I did get it sorted - it had no problems in Oblivion or Skyrim. I'm not trying to say AMD is better or anything - it's just kind of unfortunate that newer nVidia drivers seem to be causing problems that were "fixed" years ago.

The shimmer may also be related to texture filtering - do you have AF enabled? Also if you don't have it ticked-on, transparency AA will help too.

Yep, I'm using AF. And when you say transparency AA, I can't really force anything AA related, the game just doesn't seem to want to play along and nothing has worked.

• 2 weeks later...

Not sure if you're still looking for a solution to this problem. recently i spent some time modding Fallout NV only to run into this same issue. In my case, I was using Fallout NV 4GB to allow the game to use more RAM. I was launching this EXE instead of the standard FalloutNV.exe so the Nvidia drivers were not recognizing it as Fallout New Vegas and thus not applying the fix for the AA white flicker that was added to the drivers years ago. I corrected this by downloading Nvidia inspector and adding FalloutNV4GB.exe to the Fallout New Vegas profile. Hope this helps.

Not sure if you're still looking for a solution to this problem. recently i spent some time modding Fallout NV only to run into this same issue. In my case, I was using Fallout NV 4GB to allow the game to use more RAM. I was launching this EXE instead of the standard FalloutNV.exe so the Nvidia drivers were not recognizing it as Fallout New Vegas and thus not applying the fix for the AA white flicker that was added to the drivers years ago. I corrected this by downloading Nvidia inspector and adding FalloutNV4GB.exe to the Fallout New Vegas profile. Hope this helps.

Wow, and there we have it! This worked, thank you so much man. I thought I was on my own for a minute there...