• Please log in to reply
65 replies to this topic

Bl00dSpatt3R

Bl00dSpatt3R

Fan

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 253 posts
My suggestion isn't actually a credit card and it's much safer than using your debit card............but, OK.

Cyberlazy

Cyberlazy

Faithful poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,740 posts

My suggestion isn't actually a credit card and it's much safer than using your debit card............but, OK.

Actualy his debit card supports 'One time use' transaction codes that most credit cards do not.
The only way it would be as secure as his debit card is if he only loads it with the amount of money hes planing on using to pay then cancels it after one use.

Basicly meaning that once the code is used, even if the code is leaked plaintext by later hacks/employees/whatever, it can't be used to take a single cent. As the code is used right after being sent, it would have to be a man in the middle attack acting very quickly to take advantage of the code. You can usally protect yourself from those by running antivirus programs and making sure you have no trojans.

Even if you have a trojan however, unless its designed to explicitly target your one time use code in real time, it still would be 'secure' since keylogging/packet logging used non real time would be worthless.

Most credit card fraud is due to phishing, Trojans/viruses that do keylogging/redirecting/packet sniffing/etc and hacking of company databases or rogue employees.

The first two you can protect yourself from, More or less. The last one you have absolutely no control over if you give out your credit card numbers, you just have to 'hope' they spend enough money on something they do not see as vital (security) and have hired people who actualy know what they are doing to not leave such information easily accessable and poorly encrypted. Anyone who follows the news will know that many large companys have been hacked and had there CC databases downloaded.

One time use codes offer great protection against all these problems.

That all said, Credit card companys are known to be very 'Customer is right' when it comes to reported fraud unless they can prove the customer himself is trying to defraud the CC company. Linking a credit card with paypal is known to be low risk, At worse you tell your credit card company paypal defrauded you and your CC *WILL* reverse the charges. And then paypal will close your account and put you into a negative balance and sometimes send phony legal threats you can safely ignore. But you will basicly be unable to do business on ebay.

Linking a debit card to paypal is known to be high risk. Most banks will not reverse the charges as giving your transaction info gives them access to do whatever they want with your account... At least thats what my bank told me.

One time use codes may be considered 'Secure', but of course nothing is 100% and things the banks consider 'secure' are often considered much harder to get refunded due to fraud. This is one downside to one time use codes.

You can guess why paypal does not support one time use codes: Its not a link. They want the ability to automaticly withdrawl money from your account.

Post summery:
Debit card = insecure, Random customer service.
Credit card = insecure. Good customer service.
Paypal = ?. Poor customer service.
One time use code debit card: Secure. Unknown customer service if fraud is reported.

AltDunmer

AltDunmer

Fan

• Account closed
  • PipPipPip
  • 487 posts
@Bl00dSpatt3R
Well actually the most comfortable and from my knowledge most secure system is that what I actually using (direct online banking or Sofortüberweisung with TAN) and even that isn't 100% safe.
I know that I am a bit fussy but it is my money so I surely have the right to be on the safe site from my point of view :)

@Cyberlazy
Thanks for the clearance :)

I just can repeat what I've said. It is me who want to donate money for supporting this site. But therefore I shouldn't have to do something special to be able to donate the money (Pay Pal account, getting a credit card or using your method).
I've a bank account and this is enough payment method for me.
If that don't work than it is like I said: I'm not able to donate this site because of the lack of available payment methods :(

Edited by AltDunmer, 31 July 2012 - 02:37 PM.

AltDunmer

AltDunmer

Fan

• Account closed
  • PipPipPip
  • 487 posts
Well even if I still don't trust such a payment system...
Another need of PayPal got me to finally create an account.

After I used it for purchasing that wat also could only be paid with PayPal I thought it would be nice if I finally can support this site :)
Probably the last thing which I do with my PayPal account for a long time.
I even sent the rest of my money on the account back to my bank now :P

But enough of the bad trust in such a payment method...

"Premium Member"

Is it ok if I feel a bit special now? XD

Hope this money can be used to run, improve and support this site a bit more and all its awesome work.

Cheers

AltDunmer

AltDunmer

Fan

• Account closed
  • PipPipPip
  • 487 posts

I'll response that here since I have already a history in this thread ^^

Dark0ne, on 09 May 2013 - 22:53, said:
We’ve always only offered Pay Pal as a payment method for Premium Membership which has become a point of contention for some people who would like to support these sites but don’t like Pay Pal, don’t want to use Pay Pal or can’t use Pay Pal for whatever reason. I promised that if that ever changed and we offered more payment methods I would let you guys know in the site news so here I am to let you know that we’ve (finally!) got some more payment processors for Premium Membership.

We’ve now added 2Checkout, a popular and well known payment processor to our list of payment processors which you can now use in place of Pay Pal for 1 month, 3 month, 6 month and 12 month memberships. Unfortunately 2Checkout weren’t big fans of the idea of a “Lifetime” membership for some reason so unfortunately we can’t offer 2Checkout as a payment method for that package. To pay via 2Checkout all you need to do is pick a package from the Premium Store and select “2Checkout” from the payment drop-down box. You’ll be redirected to 2Checkout for payment and then your membership should be applied within 10 minutes of payment being received.

Well I was once in that group but I got a Pay Pal account nowadays and only used it twice yet (once for this site :biggrin:)
So it isn't that big deal.

But if you now consider in adding new payment methods I still will point at SOFORT Ueberweisung:
https://www.sofort.c...t-ueberweisung/

Through my personal use I can say that it's a very user friendly and easy payment method :wink:
I don't know which countries are all supported by it but it's still a joy to use such a comfortable and secure system.
Well this sounds extremely subjective...
But maybe other people which will use that system too become entitled to that opinion?

Dark0ne, on 09 May 2013 - 22:53, said:
I’ll finish by simply thanking, once again, those people who have helped to keep these sites running by becoming Premium Members. I really do mean it when I say these sites most definitely wouldn’t still be here without your support.

Well thank you, for running such an awesome site.
And donating it was probably the best way for me to use that amount of money. :biggrin:

JennaF

JennaF

• Banned
  • Pip
  • 10 posts

well done

IPB skins by Skinbox
Page loaded in: 0.895 seconds