An unusual texture issue (and maybe CTDs)

DEKMStephens

So, I am having an unusual (as in I haven't seen it in the last month of collecting skyrim mods for an ultimate experience) texture issue as you will see in this picture here: http://i.imgur.com/GN6ekn7.png

First you'd just assume that I am missing some textures but the thing is these textures are loading inconsistently, that is to say if I exit and enter more/different textures would be messed up.

I narrowed down the mods causing these texture issues to Hothtrooper's Immersive Armors, the Official High Res patch and the Unofficial High res patch, where if any individuals of these are turned on it will lead to these inconsistent textures.

I'm guessing my load order could be better, and I have attached it as a file, so someone smart could tell me I'm stupid >_<

Also I think there are probably some less obvious mod conflicts based on how big my papyrus log is (apparently too big to attach, if someone tells me where else I could upload it I'll do so)

Anyway I will mention I followed the advanced installation procedure for Perkus/Patchus Maximus so that shouldn't be too much of an issue. I also have XCE installed which doesn't have an esp, as well as some other stuff for stability like SSME and safety load, but these shouldn't be an issue/should make the game more stable.

On a side note I have the DBM_IW_Patch.esp instead of the DBM_IWIA_Patch.esp (these are patches for Immersive weapons/armors for Legacy of the Dragonborn) because the IA part of the patch causes crashes that I never figured out why. Guessing it conflicts with something else somewhere.

If sometimes you're loading textures and sometimes not, it's because you're using too much VRAM.

Here's my copy-pasta from the last time someone had this issue:

"If it is DIFFERENT things every time you see this, you are running out of VRAM and your graphics card is refusing to render random textures to compensate. The best way to test this is to find a purple texture, save, quit, and reload that save - if that texture is no longer purple, then it's a VRAM issue.

If you are running out of VRAM, first make sure that ENBoost/ENB is properly configured. Second, you'll have to make some hard choices. How much VRAM do you have? What resolution textures are you running? Do you have a lot of mods that add different objects to the world, or different NPCs/armor that is causing many different textures to need to get loaded in one scene? Are you running an ENB that demands a lot of VRAM (most do)? Which of these are you willing to compromise on to bring your VRAM usage back below what you have available?

You'll have to make those decisions yourself. My advice is to first remove mods that are 4k textures, and make sure you're using nothing higher than 2k textures.

Here are some other things to look at:

remove mods add a ton of different grass types (like verdant or tamriel reloaded, even SFO if you're still having trouble - reduce it to the "basic" version), although dense grass should be ok as it's just the same object loaded over and over and so shouldn't take more VRAM (I think).

Decrease SMIM (you'll have to reinstall it) to the "low" options instead of "ultra high" ones (sorry, no high-poly chains for you).

If you're still having trouble make sure you're using the "lite" version of texture packs (mix of 2k and 1k) or even full 1k textures (still better than vanilla).

If you're using JK's, dump it, and take a moment to explore the other city overhauls that don't get as much press but are in many ways better (like... for performance).

Turn off some ENB features like DoF or Ambient Occlusion, or switch to using ICBINE or a better performance ENB than what you're currently using."

It appears you may be right, as I did the reload of a save in front of some purple companions

Kinda odd, I would have thought my Radeon 7970 with 3 gigs of VRAM would be fine with this but perhaps not?

I guess I can use this as a starting point then to figure out what I need to cut back on, but I don't suppose anyone can tell me what the Hothtrooper44_Armor_Ecksstra.esp actually does and whether it is required? It has a very vague description

Download gpu-z and check if your vram is maxed. Its free, small and works with enbs.

Edit:

The esp is required. Hothtrooper isnt a plain texture replacer, its newly created items. And if I remember correctly its a damn big download which means lots of textures (prob high quality) and therefore it eats vram like candy.

Edited by fiewiel

So I just ran gpu-z while playing until I encountered some textures not loading, but it is only using up about 2,600 mb max of "dedicated memory usage" which I assume is the vram, and 50 of dynamic which I have no idea what that actually is.

But either way both of these numbers fall short of the 3000ish mb of vram I have

am I'm missing something? I'm new to this particular Skyrim issue.

Right, so I realized I didn't have ENBoost installed (mainly because I didn't know it was advised to be installed when NOT running ENBs) and followed the configuration as per S.T.E.P, and now haven't seen any issue with textures in the places I typically saw them over a 25 minute time period (though I did experience a CTD, which I imagine is probably stemming from a dirty mod or conflict somewhere that I'm not aware of)

So long story short this texture is technically resolved and the only thing I did uninstall is the Ultra HD Talos statue I had turned on, though I'm not sure if I needed to or not