Blender Weight Painting Help?

SGTbayk47

Hey all,

I'm currently trying to export some armour, but I've ran into a problem. When I export, some vertices are apparently unweighted. I don't actually know anything about weight painting, but I'm sure the vertices must have some weight, judging from the images below.

If anyone knows how to weight these vertices, or any good tutorials on weight painting, it would be appreciated.

Cheers, BayK.

These are the 'unweighted' vertices:

http://i.imgur.com/jDDktuU.jpg

And these are the 'unweighted' vertices in Weight Paint mode:

http://i.imgur.com/XOXAoq9.jpg

I think the red means they have weight? Although I could be completely wrong. I assumed they'd have weight already because this is a vanilla mesh.

It's fairly easy to end up with unweighted vertices when parts of your meshes overlap.

Vertex weight is a fairly simple concept. Imagine a really simple person with just two arms, two legs, a spine and a head. Now put a pair of pants on him. The left leg of the pants will move with the left leg of the person, so you want to weight all of the vertices on the left leg to the person's left leg of their skeleton. Similarly with the right leg. But what about the pelvis area? You want the top of the pants to move along with the spine, so you weight the vertices along the top of the pants to the spine instead of to either leg. But what about the parts in between the top of the pants and the legs? They will move partially with the spine and partially with the legs. So you weight them 50/50 if they are in the middle, maybe more towards the spine as you get to the top of the pants and more towards each leg as the pants parts get closer to the leg parts. You would not weight any part of the pants to the arms.

If you did weight part of the pants to the arms, then those vertices would move along with the arms.

The actual Fallout skeletons have a lot more parts than just two arms, two legs, a spine and a head. The spine is segmented into 3 parts for example, and legs are divided into upper and lower parts, etc. But that's the basic concept.

Often when you auto generate the weights, Blender ends up weighing parts of your pants to the arms and other stupid things like that, requiring you to manually edit the weights or else parts of your pants move as your arms swing back and forth, which ends up looking really weird.

When you have overlapping meshes like that, it's often difficult to get into the mesh and paint some of the vertices. There are different weight paint modes that you can try. You can also select face mode (F) and then select all (A) and then paint all of the vertices in that mesh with the selected bone and weight that you have chosen in Blender. Have a look at the Blender documentation for more details.

Hey, thanks for the info.

I found out why the vertices where unweighted in the end, one of the bones in the skeleton was named incorrectly for some reason, 'Thigh.00.R' instead of 'Thigh.R'. All I needed to do was rename and it exported. :D