Windows 10 Officially Released - How is the experience?

ElmoTheMuppet

Hi! The users here who have tried or will try Windows 10, would you mind sharing what your experience has been so far?

I'm sure some of the user experiences may change as Windows 10 provides new software updates and drivers in the coming days, weeks, and months.

What are the pros and cons of Windows 10?

Were there any issues during the upgrade?

What new features did you enjoy?

What platform did you install Windows 10 on? (desktop, laptop, tablet, etc)

How is the driver support?

How is the security?

How is the privacy?

How is directx12? (3D applications that actually support it)

How is the multi-gpu experience?

How is the multi-monitor experience?

How is windowed gaming?

What games have you tried and how well do they perform?

How well does Cortana perform as a digital assistant?

How is the new Edge browser?

How well does Windows 10 manage heavy CPU and RAM usage in comparison to Windows 7/8?

Is Windows 10 worth it, for a pc gamer?

Got any benchmarks? Post them below.

Edited by ElmoTheMuppet

Just installed Windows 10 on an old (Vista era) laptop, so I thought I'd post some initial impressions.

Driver support seems excellent in the case of my laptop. I have an old laptop with exotic video hardware (ATI Firepro M7740). Windows 10 detected *all* of the devices and installed drivers for all of them. I have no orphans in Device Manager, and everything seems to work.

My GPU is too old to support DirectX 12. I have *not* noticed an increase in FPS in Skyrim, but informal testing seems to show less stuttering and fewer FPS dips.

The upgrade process was nice and smooth. I had one hiccup when Windows Update reported that it couldn't install Win10 because there was an update already in progress. A reboot fixed that problem. Otherwise, no problems.

What are the pros and cons of Windows 10?

Were there any issues during the upgrade? No it updated perfectly, No errors, nothing.

What new features did you enjoy? The new start menu is my favorite, and the browser.

What platform did you install Windows 10 on? (desktop, laptop, tablet, etc) Laptop

How is the driver support? Amazing, automatically detected all my driver, even my touchscreen driver and my NVIDIA driver, installed them all without hassle

How is the security? The same I think, but I haven't really tested it in any way.

How is the privacy? The same I think, but I haven't really tested it in any way.

How is directx12? (3D applications that actually support it) untested

How is the multi-gpu experience? untested

How is the multi-monitor experience? untested

How is windowed gaming? untested

What games have you tried and how well do they perform? Skyrim + 140 mods: Good

Fallout NV: Excellent

Fallout 3: Excellent

GTA V: Lags because of crap computer

How well does Cortana perform as a digital assistant?

Voice recognition: 8/10

How well it preforms to help me out: better than google now which is the best in my eyes but with less voice recognition prowess, I have a heavy accent so..

Chatting: N/A - the only AI assistant that can do that is Siri but it has extremely bad voice recognition.

How is the new Edge browser? Much much better than IE but not as good as chrome or safari.

How well does Windows 10 manage heavy CPU and RAM usage in comparison to Windows 7/8? Not any better not any worse

Is Windows 10 worth it, for a pc gamer? Not yet. 8 still might have better support, also 10 is rolling out 150 updates an hour.

Got any benchmarks? Post them below.

it's not to bad now that i fixed the idexing problem i had with a video directory still seems slow but then again i'm on a standard harddrive and a UPGRADED windows 10 install

i'll have to get a SSD and run a CLEAN install and hopefully it will be better

What are the pros and cons of Windows 10? - Over Windows 7? Nothing.
Were there any issues during the upgrade? - It upgraded fine.
What new features did you enjoy? - Uhhh???? I disabled or didn't use them.
What platform did you install Windows 10 on? (desktop, laptop, tablet, etc) - 2 different PCs
How is the driver support? - Unsure.
How is the security? - Unsure.
How is the privacy? The privacy sucks considering they default options that allow MS access to information about your activities.
How is directx12? (3D applications that actually support it) - There are no DX12 games yet.
How is the multi-gpu experience? - N/A
How is the multi-monitor experience? N/A
How is windowed gaming? - About the same
What games have you tried and how well do they perform? - I lost 2-3 FPS in DAI, Witcher 3, GTAV
How well does Cortana perform as a digital assistant? - I disabled it so I don't really care.
How is the new Edge browser? - Slower than Firefox
How well does Windows 10 manage heavy CPU and RAM usage in comparison to Windows 7/8? - I got less performance in games or other tasks that put a heavy load on my PC compared to 7.
Is Windows 10 worth it, for a pc gamer? - Maybe once this OS is optimized better, and DX12 games start rolling out. But currently, no.

I tried Windows 10 on 2 different PCs, and it broke both of them and I had to roll back. What I mean by broken is it took an otherwise fast PC and made it slow. Checked the event log and there was at least a dozen errors. Took 3 minutes to boot up which is mind numbingly slow. I figured updating might solve some problems but the update hung up at 89%. That was the last straw for me. It didn't screw up my older PC quite as bad, but the OS was still slower than 7. I got less FPS in games too. The Edge browser is slower than Firefox. I've already reserved my free copies, so I'll probably wait another year for them to fix most of these issues before I upgrade. I don't like troubleshooting PCs and only do so out of necessity, so they can look for somebody else to be their beta tester.

Edited by Beriallord

How is the security?

I don't actually have Windows 10 because of something that relates updates with security (unless it's changed. I haven't kept up with Windows 10 for awhile)

Anyway, updates are forced on. You can set them to install within a month or right away. This can be a good thing, until you look back at some of the updates released on Vista and 7 which would cause things to break and blue screen. Like the update for Vista that started updating your computer when you pressed shut-down, and never finished. Upon a force reboot, still goes on and on.

Now while none of this has nothing to do with security, the next bit does.

It said somewhere that if you manage to find a way to avoid the updates completely, which is sometimes necessary to do important things, like, you know, make the computer work; then Microsoft claims that all of your security will be shut off. So at this point it doesn't matter how good or bad the security is, because there is none. So I'm staying away from Windows 10 for as long as possible.

(As I said above, this might have changed. If it has, It'd be great to know so I can see if I might actually get Windows 10 or continue to avoid it completely)

Edit: Just found another post in Hardware and Software which other people have said about the updates thing aswell, If you wanna look at that.

Edited by Codeslamer