Windows 10 Officially Released - How is the experience?

ElmoTheMuppet

Were there any issues during the upgrade? None. Upgraded in 17 minutes after moving to setup UI...However, I used the MediaCreationTool from MS with an ISO download, not from within Windows Update.

What new features did you enjoy? There are no new features besides Cortana and Edge. You have to buy features from the App Store.

What platform did you install Windows 10 on? (desktop, laptop, tablet, etc) Custom built desktop, evolved over several years.

How is the driver support? Here's where I get miffed. Windows 10 will not let you install over there Windows Update installed driver/software. 6 tries for upgrading from the 326.xx to 353.62 eventually caused the drivers and software to completely fail, even from Windows Update.

How is the security? Without turning off most of the "features", which is basically device connectivity, hard to tell.

How is the privacy? See Above.

How is directx12? (3D applications that actually support it) After drivers failing, I didn't have the patience to try installing 3DMark (which is the ONLY DX12 supported software to date).

How is the multi-gpu experience? Windows installed an early version of nvidia drivers, along with all the goodies except GForce Experience. I was able to utilize SLI through Nvidia Control Panel as usual.

How is the multi-monitor experience? Not Tested.

How is windowed gaming? Not Tested.

What games have you tried and how well do they perform? Before the drivers conspiracy, I was able to play Skyrim. No change from Windows 7 installation, except CPU was limited by power settings that seemed to be ignoring my BIOS.

How well does Cortana perform as a digital assistant? Ermm...not really an "assistant", it more or less is Help.

How is the new Edge browser? Not Tested, I grabbed 64bit Mozilla.

How well does Windows 10 manage heavy CPU and RAM usage in comparison to Windows 7/8? Since I had more control over power settings and a LOT of other things, I would say slight advantage in Windows 10.

Is Windows 10 worth it, for a pc gamer? Enthusiast, Gamer, Power User...IMHO, no.

Got any benchmarks? Post them below. After the Drivers Conspiracy, I was too miffed to try any kind of benchmarking besides a few files unzipped and a try at Skyrim.

I've done a clean install back to Windows 7. I'll be staying with it for the time being.

Edited by MotoSxorpio

Were there any issues during the upgrade? Nope.

What new features did you enjoy? Cortana was fun(mostly because of the Halo reference,) but got annoying quick.

What platform did you install Windows 10 on? (desktop, laptop, tablet, etc) bit.ly/azterixrig

How is the driver support? My GPU drivers, Headphone Drivers and Razer Synapse all updated. No problems there for me. Will probably take a while for the rest of my drivers to upgrade.

How is the security? Ran a .bat virus and keylogger(hidden behind a .zip,) .bat got the usual warning(sure ya wanna do this bro?,) while the keylogger went unnoticed but didn't register(my fault.)

How is the privacy? Not Tested.

How is directx12? (3D applications that actually support it) I got Cinebench, 3D-Mark, UE4 Five Demos-- all were worse rates than my Windows 7(Main) drive, Same(give or take 2-3 fps,) as my Windows 8(Testing,) drive. Altogether fine.

How is windowed gaming? Fine. Counterstrike, Skyrim, FNV all ran at similar rates to Windows 8(lower than fullscreen.)

What games have you tried and how well do they perform? STested Skyrim, CS:GO, FNV. All ran at similar rates, though i feel like load times were longer and there was more stuttering-?

How well does Cortana perform as a digital assistant? Never using it again, just for uselessness :confused:

How is the new Edge browser? Better than Internet Explorer, however Chrome is still preferred(faster.)

How well does Windows 10 manage heavy CPU and RAM usage in comparison to Windows 7/8? I enjoy the new preference's customizability, however still prefer Windows 7's simplicity.

Is Windows 10 worth it, for a pc gamer? Nope. Went back to my main SSD(Windows 7,) and never looked back :blush: .

Got any benchmarks? Post them below.

Were there any issues during the upgrade? None. Upgraded in 17 minutes after moving to setup UI...However, I used the MediaCreationTool from MS with an ISO download, not from within Windows Update.

What new features did you enjoy? There are no new features besides Cortana and Edge. You have to buy features from the App Store.

What platform did you install Windows 10 on? (desktop, laptop, tablet, etc) Custom built desktop, evolved over several years.

How is the driver support? Here's where I get miffed. Windows 10 will not let you install over there Windows Update installed driver/software. 6 tries for upgrading from the 326.xx to 353.62 eventually caused the drivers and software to completely fail, even from Windows Update.

How is the security? Without turning off most of the "features", which is basically device connectivity, hard to tell.

How is the privacy? See Above.

How is directx12? (3D applications that actually support it) After drivers failing, I didn't have the patience to try installing 3DMark (which is the ONLY DX12 supported software to date).

How is the multi-gpu experience? Windows installed an early version of nvidia drivers, along with all the goodies except GForce Experience. I was able to utilize SLI through Nvidia Control Panel as usual.

How is the multi-monitor experience? Not Tested.

How is windowed gaming? Not Tested.

What games have you tried and how well do they perform? Before the drivers conspiracy, I was able to play Skyrim. No change from Windows 7 installation, except CPU was limited by power settings that seemed to be ignoring my BIOS.

How well does Cortana perform as a digital assistant? Ermm...not really an "assistant", it more or less is Help.

How is the new Edge browser? Not Tested, I grabbed 64bit Mozilla.

How well does Windows 10 manage heavy CPU and RAM usage in comparison to Windows 7/8? Since I had more control over power settings and a LOT of other things, I would say slight advantage in Windows 10.

Is Windows 10 worth it, for a pc gamer? Enthusiast, Gamer, Power User...IMHO, no.

Got any benchmarks? Post them below. After the Drivers Conspiracy, I was too miffed to try any kind of benchmarking besides a few files unzipped and a try at Skyrim.

I've done a clean install back to Windows 7. I'll be staying with it for the time being.

I have found a workaround for Nvidia VS. Windows Update driver installation failures. I had to give FULL PERMISSION to the installer exe (the one that is normally extracted to C:\NVIDIA).

If you are unfamiliar with the "Nvidia VS. Windows Update driver installation failures", after Windows installs GFW.exe and its updates, attempts to update with Nvidia's drivers ALWAYS fail. Windows then tries to reinstall the outdated driver version that it somehow thinks is newer than what Nvidia tells me is newer. The installation fails after about 10 seconds of thinking, and windows prompts me with a reboot for changes to take effect message. I reboot, and whatcha know, windows is installing Nvidia 353.xx. This goes on for about an hour or two, again!! and AGAIN!!

I had tried: turning off updates, uninstalling several updates including the gfw.exe, even UNPLUGGING from the net and turning BITS off, installation of drivers from Nvidia failed.

I can't tell you how frustrated and purely infuriated I am at Windows making mandatory updates, and causing driver failures for custom built rigs like mine.

I haven't built a gaming rig yet, so I'm speaking purely from my experience on my tablet with keyboard:

I'm really enjoying the User Interface of Windows 10 a lot more than Windows 8. The start menu is back, and the oddly frustrating "tile" menu is gone. The Windows 8 "tiles," or whatever they were, were oddly frustrating in a way I can't explain.

I can't speak for any other features like Edge or Cortana; I use Google Chrome as my browser. Maybe I will try Edge in the future.

didnt install it bought a new gaming laptop already had 10 on it. I like the start area. and I like the apps so far just got the laptop so am just getting to know stuff. can't say if anything is faster since it came with it already installed so basically I am no help. but I do like windows 10 so far.

Thanks to all of you for all the info, I was searching out the net on NMM and Win 10 compatibility. All of the info here pro and con has helped me a lot. I recently built a new system specifically for gaming and will retain my old system for modding and webmaster/graphic work, I was thinking of allowing the upgrade on my old system but after reading this forum I believe I to will wait till Microsoft wades through it's test freebie and fixes any and all issues before I make the move. I do have it on one of my laptops that isn't too shabby and I find it to be very sluggish and non responsive as well as not that impressive, reminds me of Android on a computer I guess it's ok if you like that sort of thing but I'm a Linux user with several systems/laptops with multiple distros so I'm a bit critical of Microsoft (they should have stayed with the win 2000/XP server platform it was bomber) but mostly use it out of necessity. Once again thanks for the information!