Fix for Skyrim crashing instantly with enb on Windows 10

williamlee

Hello!

First of all, I don't know if this damages somehow the built in DirectX 12 installation of Windows 10 but I think it doesn't and don't see the reason how it would for DirectX installers do check if components of the installations need to be updated and don't replace the whole installation. Still, if you somehow damage your Windows 10 installation or hardware by doing this, I am not responsible.

So, I made a clean install of Windows 10 after upgrading to it. After getting all of the drivers and other software installed, I installed Skyrim and restored my mod setup. When I tried to boot the game, it would crash instantly, before the Bethesda logo. This could be fixed by deleting the d3d9.dll binary that is required for ENBs, so it clearly was not a load order issue (as it shouldn't have been as my load order was identical to the load order on Windows 7 installation).

Well, first I tried to install the injector version of the ENB. That got me through the Bethesda logo, but crashed after that.

The fix that worked for me, so I could run the wrapper version of ENB was to install the DirectX End-User Runtimes (June 2010) from Microsofts official website.

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=8109

There is the link for it. I haven't posted to these forums much, so I am not sure actually if we are allowed to post links, so moderators feel free to edit the post if it is against the rules and apologies for the inconvenience. D:

And if the link is removed, you can find the right page (Microsoft's official website) by googling "DirectX End-User Runtimes (June 2010)", at the time of writing this.

After following the link it gives a download for directx_Jun2010_redist.exe, which asks you for a location to unpack the files. Give it a temporary location, then find the files that were unpacked and run the DXSETUP.exe. This is what actually installs the DirectX 9 components that ENB neets to start without crashing. (Thanks for this clarification to Realfriend)

As this is getting rambly, I hope that I helped at least someone. It took me 8 hours of stressful googling and not finding a solution. Somebody in the ENBseries forums had posted half a year ago that he had had some very similar crashing with a preview build of Windows 10 and had installed DirectX 9.0c to fix this. As the web installer DirectX 9.0c versions are unsupported on Windows 10, at least for me it popped an error, and those seem to come up very easily when searching for DirectX 9.0c, this information didn't solve the problem for me, put it pointed me to the right direction so credits to him, I guess. :3

Thanks for reading and have fun with Skyrim on Windows 10! :3

Edited by williamlee

• Replies 157
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have been ripping my hair out trying to get Skyrim to run since upgrading to Windows 10 from 8.1. CTD before Bethesda screen just like you said. I tried everything I could think of, including loading it as just Vanilla (thank you MO) and reinstalling the video drivers. Looking around the Forums didn't help, because it didn't seem like anyone else was having any problems.

Deleting d3d9.dll fixed it. Thank you very much for figuring that out.

I haven't taken the step yet of downgrading to DirectX 9...I'm hoping for a new version of ENBSeries that will fix the problem.

Anyways, now I'm rambling too. Thanks for the tip/fix.

Gah! I knew it was ENB but I hadn't found the fix yet. Google was little help. I was preparing for a ENB free run. Thank you!!

If you are waiting for ENB support for Win 10 you might be waiting awhile, Boris wont be supporting it.

Thanks for the responses, glad I could help :smile:.

Installing the DirectX 9.0c does _NOT_ replace your DirectX 12. The installer looks for components in the installation that need updating. DirectX 12 includes (or it is supposed to at least) all of the previous DirectX versions like 9.0c. Boris pointed out in one of the forum threads I came across while doing research that some updates don't include all of the files though, even though they might be needed for certain applications like enbhost.exe.

The disclaimer in the first post is just to say that how you act is your responsibility and I don't want the wrath of people if they somehow managed to screw it up, though that should be pretty hard. D:

After installing the DirectX 9.0c redist update linked above, DxDiag still reports DirectX version to be DirectX 12, if that acts as a proof. :D

Just wanted to clarify this, for ENB has so many benefits, including ENBoost and it really add to the stability. Also for many of us running 144hz or 120hz monitors, ENB is basically a must for it is an easy and safe option for locking fps to 60.

Hope this helps! :3

Edited by williamlee

So I kept digging, and found a better solution (I think).

As background, I'm running on an HP envy m7, with a NVidia 840m gpu. For me, the issue ended up being that DirectX 12 was only using the integrated gpu, not the 840m. The integrated gpu grinds to a halt when it gets to ENBSeries, causing CTD. I eventually found that in the NVidia control panel I could specify the 840m, which I did for everything related to Skyrim. I attached a picture of the NVidia control panel for reference. Sorry, can't help out if you have an AMD or something else.

My assumption here is DirectX 12 is handling switching differently to try to help conserve power, and isn't recognizing until it's too late that the integrated gpu just isn't up to the task.

I hope this helps.

I have an NVidia 960. It was not recognized by Windows 10 when I did the install - but that is another story.

I tried a wide range of resolution / window options. Kept crashing before the splash screen.

I installed the DX9.0C Redistributable package as recommended in this thread.

Major improvement - now it crashed after the Splash screen, but before listing files to load.

The only thing that really worked for me was to follow the uninstall directions on Realistic ENB.

Now Skyrim is working well again - just without ENB. I can live with that. Beats not working at all.

Man was this a time sink, trying to figure out what was wrong. Next time - google it first. Someone else will have hit it already.

Edited by rmm200

So I kept digging, and found a better solution (I think).

As background, I'm running on an HP envy m7, with a NVidia 840m gpu. For me, the issue ended up being that DirectX 12 was only using the integrated gpu, not the 840m. The integrated gpu grinds to a halt when it gets to ENBSeries, causing CTD. I eventually found that in the NVidia control panel I could specify the 840m, which I did for everything related to Skyrim. I attached a picture of the NVidia control panel for reference. Sorry, can't help out if you have an AMD or something else.

My assumption here is DirectX 12 is handling switching differently to try to help conserve power, and isn't recognizing until it's too late that the integrated gpu just isn't up to the task.

I hope this helps.

Hmm, interesting. My CPU doesn't even have an integrated GPU so I guess this is problem can be caused by various different things then. Well, great that we have now a few different fixes for different configurations. :)

The fix that worked for me, so I could run the wrapper version of ENB was to install the DirectX End-User Runtimes (June 2010) from Microsofts official website.

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=8109

I need to add to your comment because the instructions are incomplete. After following that link it gives a download for directx_Jun2010_redist.exe, which asks you for a location to unpack the files. Give it a temporary location, then find the files that were unpacked and run the DXSETUP.exe. This is what actually installs the DirectX 9 components that ENB needs to start without crashing.

I'm on a fresh install of Windows 10 also and I was ready to flip the table over after struggling with this for at least 3 hours.