Fix for Skyrim crashing instantly with enb on Windows 10

williamlee

I know Im a few years into the future but thank you so much dude I was getting so aggravated with it I knew it was the ENB that was doing it because the second i removed it it worked just fine but I didn't know exactly how to find a fix then I found your post THANK YOU SO very much man!

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 157
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I found a great solution this morning that is the only thing that's actually resolved this for me. I tried literally everything else described above and still had ANY d3d9.dll based mod causing crashes on launch. Hopefully this will help other people having this issue!

I can't believe this. I've literally tried everything in the world to make ENB work w/ Windows 10 and eventually gave up trying.

Until I saw your message. Honestly, mixing up libraries from three different wrappers didn't seem to be a good idea, but...

SEVEN HELLS, IT'S WORKING!

Dude, you're truly a saint. I don't even know how to express my deepest gratitude. Just... You're the f*ckin' BEST.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

• Set up VideoMemorySizeMb properly in enblocal.ini.
  • Set ExpandSystemMemoryX64=false in enblocal.ini.
  • Try EnableCompression=true in enblocal.ini.
  • Try turning off your antivirus/firewall temporarily. If that works, then make an exception for enbhost.exe.

Edit: forgot antivirus

Can someone help me with these last few points, please? Not sure how to set up VideoMemory.

I've been trying to make this work forever but nothing has worked.

• 2 weeks later...

Trying to get skyrim legendary edition to run with skse and realvision 315 using enbseries 315. When I run the game with skse I get an error sound, but no error. I've been googling and browsing nexus forums and looking under every rock trying to get the game to just run, and nothing is working! Can anyone provide some insight as to what my problem could be? I tried everything in this thread mentioned from page 14, among other things. I know it has something to do with the ENB, as the game runs fine right up until I install the enb. I really miss this game, I used to use an enb and a ton of mods but the only thing that has changed is I'm now on windows 10.

• 3 months later...

Posting here because I also encountered this problem and just could not get ENB to work at all on W10 using all the standard advice - installing the 2010 DX SDK and redistributables, installing the DX libraries included in /skyrim/DirectX10, running everything in administrator mode, etc - nothing worked. For what it's worth, I'm on a 980TI and noticed a couple other people in the threads about this problem who weren't able to solve it were too, so I think there's probably a hardware specific hiccup some of us are running into. No matter what, I always got the application failed to start error as soon as I launched, with a preset or just ENBoost.

However, EighmyLupin suggested a couple years ago on a different thread to try this mod: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/33227/?

I don't have an optimus card, and can't tell you why this fixed the problem. But dang it absolutely works now. I saw at least one other user in a different thread reporting the same - nothing worked till they tried this fix.

Also, critically: I tried this fix earlier and it didn't work, because my computer was stuck on Windows 10 1803. You *need* to be on 1809, the creator's update, for these fixes to apply. There are other fixes for memory issues in DX9 games included in the recent windows updates you want anyway - you won't be able to allocate more than 4GB of video memory to ENB without them.

I know this is an old thread, but it looks like people still bump into this issue from time to time and it was one of the first Google results for me. If the advice above for updating your OS, drivers, and DX 2010 SDK/redistributables didn't work, try out this mod.

Edited by AjWasHere