Fix for Skyrim crashing instantly with enb on Windows 10

williamlee

The fix that worked for me, so I could run the wrapper version of ENB was to install the DirectX End-User Runtimes (June 2010) from Microsofts official website.

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=8109

I need to add to your comment because the instructions are incomplete. After following that link it gives a download for directx_Jun2010_redist.exe, which asks you for a location to unpack the files. Give it a temporary location, then find the files that were unpacked and run the DXSETUP.exe. This is what actually installs the DirectX 9 components that ENB needs to start without crashing.

I'm on a fresh install of Windows 10 also and I was ready to flip the table over after struggling with this for at least 3 hours.

This is exact;y what worked for me, thank you so much for the post.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 157
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...

The fix that worked for me, so I could run the wrapper version of ENB was to install the DirectX End-User Runtimes (June 2010) from Microsofts official website.

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=8109

I need to add to your comment because the instructions are incomplete. After following that link it gives a download for directx_Jun2010_redist.exe, which asks you for a location to unpack the files. Give it a temporary location, then find the files that were unpacked and run the DXSETUP.exe. This is what actually installs the DirectX 9 components that ENB needs to start without crashing.

I'm on a fresh install of Windows 10 also and I was ready to flip the table over after struggling with this for at least 3 hours.

This is exact;y what worked for me, thank you so much for the post.

This didn't work for me. I checked my folder and see D3DX9_43.dll from 2010, is that the right one or is the X not supposed to be there?

I also run the skse loader in Win 7 compatibility mode, verified the integrity of my files in Steam and pretty much every other trick listed in this thread, no luck.

Weird thing for me is that I can start the game and play for a bit and then CTD. It seems to be in specific locations too, but when I delete all the ENB files it runs just fine.

• 1 month later...

I GOT IT TO WORK AND HERE'S HOW:

If you're like me, then you dug 10 pages in to find a solution here and nothing was working.

The DirectX 2010 didn't work right? Same here. Downloaded, extracted into a new folder on my desktop, ran the DSETUP.exe inside the folder, still nothing!

That's where I goofed. I didn't realize you had to then place that folder into your Skyrim directory (duh I feel so stupid). I placed the DirectX10 folder from the Skyrim directory onto my desktop (not sure if that helps but I'm not interested in testing it now that it's working) and put the 2010 folder I'd created in its place. I didn't expect it to work, but it did.

So if you made the same mistake I did and are still looking for a solution, I hope this was the one.

Ok holy ship I got it to work, hjad to uninstall my av and malware programs and turn off all windows exploit setings. off exploit settings was suggested by someone in askwoody I think a while ago that was told by ms because of program malfuntiions. I am reinstalling everything 1 at at a time checking, ill post when I have a fault.

Follow this guide for fallout NV, it makes it work in the vanilla form but you can add other mods and make them work together with Loot or NVEdit, this stuff is to complicated for me with out step by step guides on where and how to merge and edit files using these tools but the guide in the link will help you get the game going. REMEMBER it was my stupid av software that screwed me up so I reformatted and reinstalled before AV and made exceptions of everything that had to do with the mod manager and the mods including placing Steam directory and everything else outside of the program or program x86 files. They cause UAC windows to stop everything.

https://www.reddit.com/r/fnv/wiki/moddingguide

https://www.pcgamingwiki.com/wiki/Fallout:_New_Vegas This has more links to help adjust the game, just follow their step by step directions and you should be good. Hope this helps in Skyrim as well. There are some crossovers that can make skyrim run smoother.

Edited by rambo187

• 6 months later...