Fix for Skyrim crashing instantly with enb on Windows 10

williamlee

This thread is an intriguing read. I just got a new Win 10 machine with GTX980 and generally the ENB 279 (Skyrim) game runs fine for me. Thanks - I checked the D9 DLL mentioned a few posts back and it is in my system 32 folder.

But what's been puzzling me is two things: the game will start up and run fine one time, another time is takes several goes to get it to fire up - it CTDs just as the save game is about to open (usually a mod order issue but this game is Looted to an inch of its life with a few years of experience behind it, too). Secondly I have been really plagued by the black / harlequin pattern texture bug on the player. These two issues seem to get worse until I reboot to give the PC a fresh start.

Assuming it is memory, I pulled back a bit, got it to work only for the texture bug to return. In desperation I tried my fall-back root "basic" game with only 12 very simple mods in and STILL got the bad textures! Tinkering with ENB settings usually removed it for a while. It's totally frustrating me.

I looked into all this and I believe Win 10's memory compression page file system causes it. I have 16GB RAM, and when the cached "Standby" memory reaches a certain limit it impinges on the completely free memory that is available to run Skyrim cleanly. Microsoft need to have a "Clear Cache" utility. Meanwhile I'll have to find a third party software. Or reboot each time.

Thanks for all your input!

• Replies 157
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thank you for the suggestion! In fact, I have just downloaded Process Hacker and that has a menu option to clear the Standby Cache. It works very well and saves a re-boot! Having used it, I notice there are still some texture issues. (I have actually reduced the texture load on the game, too). I've optimised the textures and tried to make sure everything is smooth as possible.

I wonder if there is still a variation on what is available to the game, and I wonder if 32 bit applications are getting a raw deal under Windows 10 memory management system. I know all legacy apps are given only one Compression Store to work with and of course Mod Organizer's a 32 bit program as well.

I have tried raising the priority for TESV.exe a little, but it made no difference and I expect priority will revert anyway next time the machine loads up.

Looks like Win 10 has a way to go to satisfy legacy gamers. A puzzle.

Update: black bug skin problems cured by converting the problem DDS files to DTX5 interpolated alpha DDS files using Paint.net. A lucky hit on another forum (on LL) had the answer.

Why is everyone looking for the needed DirectX components. When right in the Skyrim root directory is the DirectX folder with the setup.exe and all needed components. Just run that. DirectX 12 is installed to the system, so the system uses it. If a game requires DirectX it will include the nessacary install files. And when the game loads it loads the directX version that is installed to it. I have windows 10 pro installed. And yes, it sucks, but my Skyrim with ENB runs without CTD. And the END message at loading tells me its working. I also have Windows 7 on a 2nd SSD. And duel boot setup. So I still mostly run games on 7 versus 10. Just because 10 is like another Vista or 8 in a new box. So look in your Skyrim root directory. You should see a folder for DirectX in there. And in it is your setup.exe. and all needed components. Hope this helps people find what their looking for.

• 2 weeks later...

So, I've been using 0.251 as that's the only version that works (Weird as nothing works otherwise and the solutions didn't help resolve all the problems as this version does sometimes crash before loading). So the other day I tried 0.292 just to try it. Worked perfectly. I was so happy. 8 hours of play, no problem. Shut down my computer. Came back on the next day, doesn't work now...

Any ideas?

@ZigZag3143 I found the deeper issue. It has to do with the coding of Windows 8.1 and Windowd 10 not allowing DX9 32-bit pc games to utilize more than 4064 Mb worth of video memory, NO MATTER WHAT. You can change the page file size all you want, but running a DX9 Video Memory test it shows 4064 on every test, then I run the DX11 Video Memory test, and it says I have 33644 Mb of Video Memory. And I am sure that seems fine considering that without special treatment almost any 32-bit program cannot utilize more than 4064 Mb. But through hard work and dedication a select few people made it possible to utilize every last byte of video memory for a 32-bit pc gaming application. All in an effort to make it possible to run games, SKYRIM in particular, with many graphic intensive mods. And this was somehow hindered in the transition from Windows 8 to Windows 8.1...and I can attest to this through research and through trial and error. I can guarantee for a fact that when I ran the exact same memory test days before I upgraded from Windows 7 to 10, that I was able to utilize all (roughly) 33000 Mb of video memory even on a 32-bit DX9 game, with those apparent 4064 Mb video memory limitations. And the proof is in the pudding whether windows wants to sit with their arms crossed or not. I can revisit the same in-game locations where I know was utilizing much more than 4064 Mb on Windows 7, and on Windows 10 and the game crashes to desktop every time in the same memory intensive location, where I once was able to glide into smooth as butter. I know it may not seem like a big enough problem for enough people for you to want to fix it, but the truth is there are many of us who would like to see a solution. Because the 3 most beautiful games in history, when modded, all run on that 32-bit DX9 platform. Not sure why the "silent" implementation of the limit was put in place, or may just be a bug, but I ask that you look into it without shrugging it off as stupid. Because it was once possible to exceed that 4064 Mb limit, and it no longer is on your two most recent OS's. And millions of people still play Skyrim to this day because it aged so well, and because of a thriving and active modding community still working to this day. Thank you for taking the time to read this and would appreciate some kind of response, whether good, bad or indifferent an answer is always respected. -Zain H ~~~~~This is the root cause of the issues with ENB and almost all intensive graphic overhaul mods. There is a strict memory allocation put in place either by OS or by Drivers, but this is exactly what I had to say to a Microsoft IT "Master" just a bit ago. Looking forward to a response. All it takes for proof is if you have more than a combined total of 4GB or more of not just VRAM but ram as well run Boris' VRAM size test on a Windows 10 PC, and look at that sweet 4064. Than run the same test on a similar computer with Windows 10 as the OS, and watch that number at least double or triple. I am willing to get a petition going for it here soon, because I am not honestly trying to pay for an External and another OS, for the opportunity to play my favorite games the way I used to be able to, when it should be easily available. If they want to end support for the other OS's I expect them to make this OS the end-all-be-all they claim it to be.

Typo, meant to say when you run the test on Windows 7, watch those number be exponentially higher. My apology. But still hopefully it makes sense to one of you exactly what I am saying

• 2 weeks later...

@ZigZag3143 I found the deeper issue. It has to do with the coding of Windows 8.1 and Windowd 10 not allowing DX9 32-bit pc games to utilize more than 4064 Mb worth of video memory, NO MATTER WHAT. You can change the page file size all you want, but running a DX9 Video Memory test it shows 4064 on every test, then I run the DX11 Video Memory test, and it says I have 33644 Mb of Video Memory. And I am sure that seems fine considering that without special treatment almost any 32-bit program cannot utilize more than 4064 Mb. But through hard work and dedication a select few people made it possible to utilize every last byte of video memory for a 32-bit pc gaming application. All in an effort to make it possible to run games, SKYRIM in particular, with many graphic intensive mods. And this was somehow hindered in the transition from Windows 8 to Windows 8.1...and I can attest to this through research and through trial and error. I can guarantee for a fact that when I ran the exact same memory test days before I upgraded from Windows 7 to 10, that I was able to utilize all (roughly) 33000 Mb of video memory even on a 32-bit DX9 game, with those apparent 4064 Mb video memory limitations. And the proof is in the pudding whether windows wants to sit with their arms crossed or not. I can revisit the same in-game locations where I know was utilizing much more than 4064 Mb on Windows 7, and on Windows 10 and the game crashes to desktop every time in the same memory intensive location, where I once was able to glide into smooth as butter. I know it may not seem like a big enough problem for enough people for you to want to fix it, but the truth is there are many of us who would like to see a solution. Because the 3 most beautiful games in history, when modded, all run on that 32-bit DX9 platform. Not sure why the "silent" implementation of the limit was put in place, or may just be a bug, but I ask that you look into it without shrugging it off as stupid. Because it was once possible to exceed that 4064 Mb limit, and it no longer is on your two most recent OS's. And millions of people still play Skyrim to this day because it aged so well, and because of a thriving and active modding community still working to this day. Thank you for taking the time to read this and would appreciate some kind of response, whether good, bad or indifferent an answer is always respected. -Zain H ~~~~~This is the root cause of the issues with ENB and almost all intensive graphic overhaul mods. There is a strict memory allocation put in place either by OS or by Drivers, but this is exactly what I had to say to a Microsoft IT "Master" just a bit ago. Looking forward to a response. All it takes for proof is if you have more than a combined total of 4GB or more of not just VRAM but ram as well run Boris' VRAM size test on a Windows 10 PC, and look at that sweet 4064. Than run the same test on a similar computer with Windows 10 as the OS, and watch that number at least double or triple. I am willing to get a petition going for it here soon, because I am not honestly trying to pay for an External and another OS, for the opportunity to play my favorite games the way I used to be able to, when it should be easily available. If they want to end support for the other OS's I expect them to make this OS the end-all-be-all they claim it to be.

Get that petition my friend, and I will be the first to sign it after you. I hate the fact I have 12GB of VRAM and can't use but 4. Considering I built this computer for the use of a massive pair of cards, and bought windows 10 thinking it would at least compete with 7, I was massively disappointed when I finally took on skyrim again and was looking at 4064 as my limit. Thanks for sticking up for the rest of us, and I hope this gets resolved.