Would it be wise to install Windows 10 right now?

I really like the new look but there's one thing that's bugging me.

Because Windows 10 is so new; games, mods, programs, etc. might not (at least at the moment) be compatible with it. I'd hate to install

Windows 10 and find that I can't run Fallout 3 or other games that I love because a patch or workaround hasn't been released. Many people

have reported that Fallout 3 only works seamlessly on Windows Vista/Windows 7 but isn't compatible with anything higher however, I play the

game perfectly and I run on Windows 8.1.

I'm just wondering if it'd be wise to leave it for a few months so that the guys at Microsoft or even some of you guys can iron out the creases

aka. any bugs or incompatibilities it may have with older games/software. Let me know what you think... If it's worth the risk or not really atm.

I plan to hold off for a while to let the major bugs be resolved first. And as with every new OS there will be bugs that need resolving. If you wish to help find those bugs, then by all means jump in with both feet. :thumbsup:

I plan to hold off for a while to let the major bugs be resolved first. And as with every new OS there will be bugs that need resolving. If you wish to help find those bugs, then by all means jump in with both feet. :thumbsup:

That's what I was thinking... I was looking pretty forward to having the old Windows start button back though but guess I'll just wait a while like yourself.

Of course I could contribute and help find those nasty bugs but unfortunately, I have a huge backlog of games which I'm currently at war with so I'll let some other guy sort it out. :dance:

I've tried Skyrim with 86 mods, Red Orchestra 2 and Final Fantasy XIII, no problem here, same performance as Windows 8.1.

Maybe some games dont run or have issues, but i think most the games will run perfectly, Windows 10 is very similar to Windows 8.1, maybe the most core files are the same.

For this build I'm less concerned about the compatibility issues as I am the abundant and serious privacy and security ones. I don't trust Windows security well enough to let them monitor and record my every action in detail. All it takes is one leaked exploit to hand all that info to just about anyone.

If you want to give up a huge part of your privacy (see the other topic) for the alleged performance increase provided by Directx 12 then, by all means, go ahead. But wait until Service Release 1, which is expected to be released in about a month.

Some food for thought:

http://www.neowin.net/news/windows-10-service-release-1-expected-to-roll-out-next-month

And:

https://edri.org/microsofts-new-small-print-how-your-personal-data-abused/

Thanks for your opinions, guys. I'll have to give it a bit more thought. As for security... Well, let's just say I'm always a little
paranoid so I'm not too worried about that. Anything in my room with a camera/lens is covered up... I'm more worried that there's something inside the TV screen watching me. I'm not even joking. :mellow:

I read that you have until July 9th to install it so...

I really like the new look but there's one thing that's bugging me.

Because Windows 10 is so new; games, mods, programs, etc. might not (at least at the moment) be compatible with it. I'd hate to install

Windows 10 and find that I can't run Fallout 3 or other games that I love because a patch or workaround hasn't been released. Many people

have reported that Fallout 3 only works seamlessly on Windows Vista/Windows 7 but isn't compatible with anything higher however, I play the

game perfectly and I run on Windows 8.1.

I'm just wondering if it'd be wise to leave it for a few months so that the guys at Microsoft or even some of you guys can iron out the creases

aka. any bugs or incompatibilities it may have with older games/software. Let me know what you think... If it's worth the risk or not really atm.

I haven't installed it yet mainly because all Microsoft programs and OS's are extremely crappy at first launch, bug ridden. I mean, Win 93 crashed on it's orientation. My friend has it and he's getting around 80 updates a day.

The red stuff is important.

I used my dad's laptop which has Win 10:

Driver support: Amazing, installed all the Nvidia drivers along with the necessary realtek and dell touchscreen and touchpad drivers.

Security: Same stuff, useless antivirus/firewall

UI: Nice, not on par with OS X or IOS (If you're considering mobile)

Privacy: If you're one of those guys obsessed with privacy e.g. you don't want them selling your data to your respective government then don't install it. Windows 10 takes information stealing to another level

Start Menu: Better than windows 8 because it doesn't have the start menu that shifts you to another page but I prefer the good o'l start menu.

Glitches: I experienced one crash, it has lag spikes occasionally

Gaming Optimization: DirectX 12 support means better 3D support, it supports all games that run on Windows 7, 8, Vista so yeah it is better for gaming, except Windows 10 uses slightly more RAM than 8

Gaming Optimization: DirectX 12 support means better 3D support, it supports all games that run on Windows 7, 8, Vista so yeah it is better for gaming, except Windows 10 uses slightly more RAM than 8

Actually, there is no performance gain from installing Windows 10. Better 3D support is something that remains to be seen in future games. Current tests by e.g. Guru3D show no performance gain over Windows 8.1.