More Energy Weapon Perks

AWOLsamurai

Hmm... the idea definitely has merit, but I'm not sure how I'd detect if a weapon is a shotgun.

The only difference is that by default they're set to fire more than one projectile at a time, and I'm not sure one can test that in a perk.

This may very well be a dead end, but there's a NVSE function for you could use to test against, GetWeaponNumProjectiles. I'm not sure you could do it as a condition on a perk directly, ie ?? == 7 (I think all shotgun projectiles are 7) but you could have a running quest script with a updated var from that function and tie the perk to that var;

If GetWeaponNumProjectiles == 7
     Set sShotgun to 1
Else Set sShotgun to 0
and then have the perk condition GetScriptVariable == 1 (ie sShotgun)

Hmm... can I use those conditions in perks, though?

You shouldn't have any problem using GetScriptVariable just select it in the conditions, it's a vanilla function (not NVSE) I believe it's used in a few different perks. Your

Because currently I can't seem to use even all vanilla functions there. I can't seem to check the ammo type.

Huh, that's weird, yeah I don't have any insight there

I'd rather not have a long running script, if I can avoid it.

I wouldn't say it's long (and although it's continuously running it's so simple there won't be any impact on CPU cycles), your just creating and updating a var for the condition check. Say something like;

Scn ShotgunSurgeonPerkScript

short sShotgun

Begin Gamemode

If (player.GetNumProj) == 7 ;format (int) ref.GetNumProj item:ref. Not sure if what I typed is the correct format
     Set sShotgun to 1
Else Set sShotgun to 0

End
and then set the quest to update as often as you feel it needs to be accurate (say 1/10 of a second?). It's just a way for the perk to latch on to a NVSE function's results (GetWeaponNumProjectiles). But the obvious caveat being I havn't tried it personally & I'm not a scripter, however I think it's sound in theory.

Well, one further problem is that ammo doesn't always have 7 pellets. The 3/0 ammo from GRA shoots 3, and the sawn off shotgun shoots 14. If I allow 3, then the three-beam laser for example qualifies too. Which, come to think of it, wouldn't be all that horrible,

Well, one further problem is that ammo doesn't always have 7 pellets. The 3/0 ammo from GRA shoots 3, and the sawn off shotgun shoots 14. If I allow 3, then the three-beam laser for example qualifies too. Which, come to think of it, wouldn't be all that horrible,

Yeah, you could do => 3. I'm not sure on filtering out the tri beam, it seems like there should be something to check against in the script, maybe just the GetEquipped function != tribeam base id if it's the only other weapon with multiple projectiles that's not a shotgun.

Yeah, the tri-beam and multiplas are shotgun-type weapons aren't they?