Fallout 3: Mouse Lag vs Screen Tearing

dsDoan

Disabling vsync in ini files resolves the mouse lag issue, but initiates screen tearing during quick camera pans. Vsync doesn't bother me, if it weren't for the mouse lag. Can the mouse issues be resolved without disabling vsync (or screen tearing issues resolved after disabling vsync)?

When you say "mouse lag" do you mean something that you can legitimately observe/measure (e.g. the game is skipping/jerking), or is this driven more from the realm of "some online guide said vsync makes tons of lag and I want buzzword compliance"? (sorry if that seems combative I'm not sure how else to ask). As far as "fixing screen tearing issues" - that's what vsync is for. The first one may be fixable with ini tweaks, see here for more:

http://www.tweakguides.com/Fallout3_3.html (yes there's a lot to read; scroll down to the bolded "Note" section, and also see the Advanced Tweaks sections)

That guide suggests this mod, which I've never tried (or had cause to try): http://www.nexusmods.com/fallout3/mods/8886/? Might be worth a shot if ini tweaks don't fix it.

Also if the "mouse lag" is just on the 2D segments (menus, pipboy, etc) that's another variable that you can directly address from the ini (covered in the Advanced Tweaks sections of the tweakguides link). You may also want to do that (and/or consider a UI replacer) if you have a higher resolution monitor.

If instead it's just "some guide said vsync is awful" I'd probably just bin the guide and enjoy the game. :blush:

The mouse lag issue occurs both in menus, and in-game. In-game, the mouse feels weighted while panning the camera. I'm not regurgitating text - this is a real-world issue I've experienced. As I mentioned, I don't mind vsync, if it weren't for the mouse issues. I'll check out your references.

The mouse lag issue occurs both in menus, and in-game. In-game, the mouse feels weighted while panning the camera. I'm not regurgitating text - this is a real-world issue I've experienced. As I mentioned, I don't mind vsync, if it weren't for the mouse issues. I'll check out your references.

In menus is a mouse accel variable in the ini (see the links) - just turn it up and it will move faster. You might also look at UI mods too, like MTUI, which will allow more text/menus to be shown on screen at once, which can make things feel less clunky. This is separate from the 3D side, which may be the jerkiness/stutter problem (admittedly I've never experienced this myself, even across multiple machines). From the linked articles it seems this is the result of a disconnect between the physics and 3D components; I would guess that if you had tons of mods running for physics or 3D enhancement it could create/exacerbate such a problem.