Aftermath - Multiplayer mod is looking for 3000 players willing to inhabit Skyrim

Bargheimer

I have come to request your current talents for a unanimous undertaking on a universal multiplayer Skyrim mod. Here is where we are enlisting volunteers. http://steamcommunity.com/app/72850/discussions/0/535152511362743333/ At the very least, your advise and knowledge in this matter may prove fruitful for the whole of Skyrim communities. Best of luck in your current endeavors. I do believe there is a way to reproduce a synchronized Skyrim without removing Npcs and scripts. The method likely involves keeping a copy of one load and configuring every save file according to that. It would mean possibly removing what a save keeps and cares about. Maybe not. Others have achieved enough margin of sync that it appears a full sync is possible without removing precious parts of the game. A master load file may be the only thing that is needed, to regulate the positions of Npcs and trigger of scripts. I have read about the override of other client computers' scripts as well. I am sure your judgement and considerations will be invaluable to the team which arises to handle this most earnest wish of you and your fellow Dragonborn. Thank you for your initiative and hardwork. Lok Bo, Thuum Tuum...

Edited by ModtheSequel

If any of this is even possible (which I'm skeptical about), wouldn't it make for a much more satisfying experience to simply allow them to form parties of 4-8 people and leave the NPCs and quests as they are (perhaps with some difficulty scaling to account for the extra players)?

I don't think the Elder Scrolls world works as an MMO (which is why I don't care for ESO), but would be perfect for small party cooperative play. For example, the dragon hunts could be 4-player missions. Larger dungeons and treasure-hunting quests could be 4-8 player PvE missions, while Civil War skirmishes could be added as an 8v8 or 16v16 PvP mission, with some kind of system for matchmaking. Perhaps larger groups (up to 20) could share an instance when you're in a non-hostile environment like a city, but attacking NPCs and other players would not be possible. Beyond that, you just have chaos, where everyone is an adventurer and the experience is simply not immersive.

I'm a professional game developer but, of course, you shouldn't trust me.

See, this is where you provide details, to show that you're not some ol' malware distributor. Who are you, what have you worked on, what's your website, which company do you work for, etc.

You'll also be wanting to display footage of your current progress, detail how you have hooked into the engine, how you have synced the players, where the server is located, etc.

So far, we've just got a couple of posts and a few download links; that's, uh, sketchy, to say the least.

On the off chance that this is legit, and you've got the evidence and whatnot to prove it, I'm willing to see how it plays.

See, this is where you provide details, to show that you're not some ol' malware distributor. Who are you, what have you worked on, what's your website, which company do you work for, etc.

You'll also be wanting to display footage of your current progress, detail how you have hooked into the engine, how you have synced the players, where the server is located, etc.

So far, we've just got a couple of posts and a few download links; that's, uh, sketchy, to say the least.

On the off chance that this is legit, and you've got the evidence and whatnot to prove it, I'm willing to see how it plays.

I can't provide additional details about myself. Working on another game project is a breach of contract and my employer won't pay attention that it's just a pet project that won't be commercialized.

Details about hooking in the engine are here - https://www.reddit.com/r/skyrimmods/comments/3g89cx/aftermath_multiplayer_mod_is_looking_for_3000/ctvt9ca.

I can't provide additional details about myself. Working on another game project is a breach of contract and my employer won't pay attention that it's just a pet project that won't be commercialized.

Details about hooking in the engine are here - https://www.reddit.com/r/skyrimmods/comments/3g89cx/aftermath_multiplayer_mod_is_looking_for_3000/ctvt9ca.

Considering how you've managed to hook into the actual .esm files, and are allowing players to build the settlements themselves (which, I assume, is done by placing the houses, objects, doors and whatnot manually), how will you approach navmeshing?

Will it be generated on the fly, will it have to be done outside of the game (through the CK or some such) or will the meshes have navmeshes "baked" into the more significant meshes (homes, stairs, floors, etc.)?

Considering how you've managed to hook into the actual .esm files, and are allowing players to build the settlements themselves (which, I assume, is done by placing the houses, objects, doors and whatnot manually), how will you approach navmeshing?

Will it be generated on the fly, will it have to be done outside of the game (through the CK or some such) or will the meshes have navmeshes "baked" into the more significant meshes (homes, stairs, floors, etc.)?

I removed navmeshes completely. A bot ran all over the Skyrim to build waypoints, which will be used to detect cheaters. I have not implemented collision detection for player-placed objects yet, maybe I'll use bounding boxes.

I removed navmeshes completely. A bot ran all over the Skyrim to build waypoints, which will be used to detect cheaters. I have not implemented collision detection for player-placed objects yet, maybe I'll use bounding boxes.

Seeing as how you've removed navmeshes, how will you approach fauna? The game will be much less impactful if there are only humanoids; the addition of birds, rabbits, deer, wolves and the like do much for a game's atmosphere.