Dawnguard quest "Prophet" not triggering - won't advance beyond "A New Order"

DjaySaint

Long post describing the problem and troubleshooting done to try to solve.

TL;DR version - Dawnguard is broken, can't advance past completion of "A New Order" ("Prophet" will not trigger). I've tried force starting via console and tons of solutions like resetting Serana, etc. Please help fix.

EDIT: Load Order (some of the plugins like X pack combined are done by me and aren't "normal" mods, they are just merged armor sets or other things)

Skyrim.esm
Update.esm
Unofficial Skyrim Patch.esp
Dawnguard.esm
Unofficial Dawnguard Patch.esp
HearthFires.esm
Unofficial Hearthfire Patch.esp
Dragonborn.esm
Unofficial Dragonborn Patch.esp
Skyrim Project Optimization - Full Version.esm
Falskaar.esm
Wyrmstooth.esp
Gray Fox Cowl.esm
SkyTEST-RealisticAnimals&Predators.esm
Schlongs of Skyrim - Core.esm
SGHairPackBase.esm
RaceCompatibility.esm
hdtHighHeel.esm
PubicMeshColorRE.esm
Lanterns Of Skyrim - All In One - Main.esm
TERAArmors.esm
RSkyrimChildren.esm
SkyMoMod.esm
EFFCore.esm
ApachiiHair.esm
ApachiiHairMales.esm
Campfire.esm
Unofficial High Resolution Patch.esp
dD - Enhanced Blood Main.esp
WondersofWeather.esp
mintylightningmod.esp
UnreadBooksGlow.esp
TrueEyes.esp
Traps Are Dangerous.esp
TheEyesOfBeauty.esp
Smoking Torches.esp
The Ningheim.esp
Smoking Candles.esp
Skyrim Particle Patch for ENB - Flame Atronach Fix.esp
Weapons & Armor Fixes_Remade.esp
WetandCold.esp
WetandCold - Ashes.esp
TKDodge.esp
Raven Warpaints.esp
RaceMenuOverlayCompilation - Combined.esp
RaceMenuMorphsUUNP.esp
RaceMenuMorphsCBBE.esp
RaceMenuMimic.esp
SkyComplete Merged.esp
dD - Realistic Ragdoll Force - Realistic.esp
NailsUNP.esp
NPCWaterAIScripted.esp
Matera.esp
SGHairPackAIO.esp
LunariRace.esp
RaceMenuPlugin.esp
Lanterns Of Skyrim - All In One - 1_5x Brighter.esp
Kitsune.esp
KS Hairdo's.esp
SmartCast_1_0.esp
K2 HDT Boots.esp
RaceMenuOverlays.esp
Immersive detection of NPC.esp
HousecarlsAreTanks.esp
MomoDash.esp
Halo's Poser.esp
HHairstyles.esp
HDTTailsEquipable.esp
HDT Female Hairstyles.esp
Gray Fox Flora Overhaul.esp
TreaclemanFalskaarPatch.esp
FreckleMania.esp
Footprints.esp
Fantasy Soundtrack Project.esp
FantasySoundtrackProjectCombatMusic.esp
FNISSexyMove.esp
EquipableMap.esp
Extended UI.esp
Dovahkiin Mercenary Armor and Weapons CBBE.esp
Loks Eyes.esp
SkyUI.esp
TrueBrows.esp
DYNAVISION Dynamic Depth of Field.esp
Craftable Horse Barding.esp
HelmetToggle2.02b.esp
Seductress Serana.esp
DeadlyMonsters.esp
Dual Sheath Redux.esp
Shadows - Skyrim.esp
Shadows - Dawnguard.esp
RelightingSkyrim_DLCs.esp
Witch Of The Wild.esp
Tamriel Reloaded.esp
EpisodeParallax.esp
RealisticWaterTwo - Combined.esp
JKs Skyrim.esp
Beards.esp
AzarHairPonyTail 03 - Havok.esp
Better Stealth AI for Followers.esp
SOS - VectorPlexus Regular Addon.esp
RevampedExteriorFog.esp
ImmersiveSpells.esp
HDTPhysicsWeaponSling.esp
Alaric-AssasinsBladePlusBows_NoMarksmanDesc.esp
3DNPC.esp
Blaze Of Eventide.esp
Clothing & Clutter Fixes.esp
better_torches_brighter_torchlight.esp
Immersive Citizens - AI Overhaul.esp
SDO Full-LOD - The Morthal Swamp Complete.esp
Skyrim Bridges.esp
Book Covers Skyrim.esp
Skyrim Immersive Creatures.esp
RealShelter.esp
Helgen Reborn.esp
SkyFalls + SkyMills + DG + DB + FS + WT.esp
Companion Pack.esp
ethereal_elven_overhaul.esp
Bijin Wives.esp
VioLens.esp
Dragon Combat Overhaul.esp
RBB - New Lands Merge.esp
Falskaar Wildlife.esp
Breezehome_Fully_Upgradable.esp
Skyrim Immersive Creatures - DLC2.esp
SkyFalls DB + FS Small Waterfalls.esp
FalskaarClouds.esp
DragonTreeTemple.esp
Tamriel Reloaded Mountains.esp
dD-DG-DB-MM-SiC EBT Patch.esp
RealisticNeedsandDiseases.esp
UIExtensions.esp
AddItemMenu.esp
Dark Dungeons for Dragonborn.esp
Real Feeding.esp
Immersive Weapons.esp
Throwing_Weapons_Redux.esp
Spell Pack Combined.esp
Throwing_Weapons_Redux_PerkTrees.esp
Hebrock_Der Schatten von Meresis - EV.esp
DeadlySpellImpacts.esp
Hothtrooper44_ArmorCompilation.esp
aMidianborn_Skyforge_Weapons.esp
BirdsHFclean.esp
CrossbowsRevamped.esp
Unique Uniques.esp
Bijin Warmaidens.esp
Schlongs of Skyrim.esp
AMatterOfTime.esp
Whiskers.esp
Additional Player Voices for Skyrim.esp
Chesko_WearableLantern.esp
360WalkandRunPlus-RunBackwardSpeedAdjust.esp
Footprints - Ash.esp
AHZmoreHUD.esp
RaceMenu.esp
TrueStorms.esp
randomthunder.esp
RaceMenuPluginXPMSE.esp
Inconsequential NPCs.esp
iWil_BelethorsGoodStore.esp
Further Dark Dungeons for ENB.esp
Inigo.esp
Weapons Pack Combined.esp
Cloaks - Dawnguard.esp
Dark Dungeons for Dawnguard.esp
Cloaks.esp
MammothManor.esp
SMIM-Merged-All.esp
Immersive Armor Pack Combined.esp
RealShelterJKLargeCities.esp
NonEssentialChildren.esp
RSChildren - Complete.esp
RSChildren_PatchUSKP.esp
RSChildren_PatchNEC.esp
HorsesGoneWild.esp
RND Patches Combined.esp
WerewolfPerksExpanded.esp
SDO Full-LOD - Whiterun Trundra Creeks.esp
RND_AnimalLoot.esp
Watercolor_for_ENB_RWT_RND.esp
CerwidenCompanion.esp
Populated Cities 2.esp
KK_Lola_companion_wolfdog.esp
DeadlyDragons.esp
Elisdriel.esp
Skyrim Flora Overhaul.esp
SFO - Dragonborn.esp
forested_skyrim.esp
Skyrim Bigger Trees Full.esp
Verdant - A Skyrim Grass Plugin.esp
Sexy Armor Pack Combined.esp
SofiaFollower.esp
Doge.esp
EFFDialogue.esp
FSP - Unique Towns & Locations.esp
IAmATankToo.esp
Draconic Bloodline.esp
Beautiful Whiterun.esp
Jewelry Pack Combined.esp
RealisticWhiterun.esp
Sevenbase Pack Combined.esp
JaxonzOutfitter.esp
Morning Fogs.esp
1nivWICCloaks.esp
1nivWICSkyCloaksPatch.esp
Immersive Speechcraft.esp
Dovah Vault.esp
FunctionalBags.esp
bm_SimpleAction.esp
JaxonzEnhGrab.esp
TemptressVixen.esp
SuccubusRaceLite.esp
Moonlight Tales.esp
Unicorn.esp
SDO Full-LOD - Giant Campfires.esp
vMYC_MeetYourCharacters.esp
My Home is Your Home.esp
sandboxcylinderheight.esp
RBB - Row Boats - Hearthfire Hotfix.esp
LPotD Armor.esp
LpotDHorse.esp
RaceCompatibilityUSKPOverride.esp
12FemaleBrows.esp
enhanceddynamicweathersystem.esp
SPTConsistentOlderPeople.esp
JaxonzRenamer.esp
0VampireCatEyes.esp
Immersive Horses.esp
Immersive Patrols II.esp
Alternate Start - Live Another Life.esp
Better Vampires.esp
Better Vampire Lord Transformation.esp
Predator Vision.esp
3D Paper World Map.esp
TES5Edit Merged Patch.esp
RSPatch.esp
Bashed Patch, 0.esp
Dual Sheath Redux Patch.esp

So as the title says, I'm having a major issue with Dawnguard at the moment which I cannot figure out. I have Googled for hours and tried everything I can possibly think of to troubleshoot it. With that said, I'm only having this issue on my Thief character Grace. My Ranger character Alyssa has already completed Dawnguard with 0 issues, which is why I can't figure out the cause of the quest line getting stuck on Grace. Anyway, some background:

I restarted my character Grace after Alyssa (who has already completed Dawnguard). I turned Grace in to a vampire at the start of the game (not vampire lord though) via MCM menu with Better Vampires. I played through the game and have ran in to a couple issues here and there (Lydia using Throw Voice shout instead of normal follower dialogue which is a known bug, Proventus Avenicci not selling me Breezehome because dialogue is missing, etc), but no quests were broken that I knew of until I hit Dawnguard.

So I completed the following Dawnguard quests:

1. Dawnguard

2. Awakening

3. Bloodline (I chose to refuse the "gift" which put me on the Dawnguard side)

4. A New Order

So in the last stage of "A New Order", when you enter Fort Dawnguard with Gunmar and Sorine, Isran will shine light down and see who is a vampire... and discovers that I'm a Vampire and gives me the "Rising at Dawn" quest to cure myself. I have done so, report back and Isran finally finishes his speech and tells me that Serana is upstairs waiting for me and to follow him to go talk to her.

Upon completion of "A New Order", the next quest "Prophet" does not start. After Isran tells me to go upstairs and the journal is updated to reflect "A New Order" is complete, nothing happens. The journal doesn't update with a new quest, and the quest marker to follow Isran is not present. I go upstairs, and Serana is not in the torture room where she should be. She is still in Castle Volkihar when I use the "player.moveto" console command. Isran just goes upstairs to the torture room, stops for a second where he would normally engage Serana in conversation, and turns around and walks off because she is not there.

I have loaded previous saves to restart the Dawnguard quest and this happens every time. I have used the "moveto player" command to move Serana to me, and she just casually walks out of the fort after to go back to Castle Volkihar. I have tried using the "resurrect" command, the "recycleactor" command. I have tried using the "setstage DLC1VQ03Hunter" to every single stage of the quest just trying to advance it at all, and no matter which stage I try to set (even 200 which completes the quest), it remains stuck at 00 and will not start. Now I can use the console to start the next 2 quests, "Chasing Echoes" and "Seeking Disclosure" just fine. However, the quest line is then broken because "Prophet" was never completed and I am missing an objective to obtain the Dragon Elder Scroll.

So at this point I'm just at my wits end trying to figure out how to advance my Dawnguard quest line without having to restart my game. I have seen a suggestion somewhere to uninstall Dawnguard, save, and reinstall Dawnguard to restart the whole Dawnguard quest line, but the problem with that is like half of my load order requires Dawnguard and I would have to disable those mods... which breaks my game. So far with every single thread, reddit post, or anything said anywhere on the internet I have not found a single solution to this or a good means of fixing it.

Does anyone have any ideas of what to try, or know what I can do in order to force the "Prophet" quest to start so that I may continue with my Dawnguard quest line? Again, I didn't have this issue with my other character Alyssa. I was able to complete it with her just fine. I'm just wondering if starting out as a vampire on Grace may have contributed to breaking Dawnguard somehow. The only new mod I've installed since my other play through was Immersive Citizens - AI Overhaul and updates to Unofficial Skyrim Patches, but I'm pretty sure that doesn't touch Serana. Either way, help please :smile: It would be greatly appreciated if anyone could help me solve this issue.

Edited by DjaySaint

i suffered from the same problem. Reinstalling Dawnguard actually helps. I've also got some graphical mods that require Dawnguard but I luckily managed to run the game without them, install the DLC and voila! The game works as it should :-)

Have you tried using Better Vampires to cure her vampirism before returning to fort dawnguard, thereby avoiding the Rising at Dawn quest and going straight to Prophet to see if that fixes it? Or perhaps curing the vampirism even earlier?

Is this character a custom race? Custom race+vampire+dawnguard seems to cause lots of quest issues it seems.

Ok, I've just had a look at DLC1VQ03Hunter in the creation kit. It has a lot of quest aliases that need to get set up for it kick off properly. If just one of them fails to fill, you'd get the results you describe. Some of the aliases involve npcs like Hulda and innkeepers which would be affected by something like immersive citizens. It might be a long shot, but if that's the only mod you've changed apart from the unofficial patches, it might be worth uninstalling it and replaying from the later stages of A New Order to see if it fixes it.

i suffered from the same problem. Reinstalling Dawnguard actually helps. I've also got some graphical mods that require Dawnguard but I luckily managed to run the game without them, install the DLC and voila! The game works as it should :-)

I can't reinstall Dawnguard though. I have too many mods that rely on it. The main mod that relies on it is the custom race I'm using for the character I'm playing. Disabling Dawnguard means I have to disable at least 1/3 of my load order and most of those mods are essential. Unfortunately, the game wouldn't even load if I did that or else I would reinstall it. I'd like to though :sad:

Have you tried using Better Vampires to cure her vampirism before returning to fort dawnguard, thereby avoiding the Rising at Dawn quest and going straight to Prophet to see if that fixes it? Or perhaps curing the vampirism even earlier?

Is this character a custom race? Custom race+vampire+dawnguard seems to cause lots of quest issues it seems.

I haven't tried using the Better Vampires to cure. Perhaps I could give that a go instead of doing the Rising at Dawn quest all together. I have loaded a save earlier in the quest line (right before I dropped off Serana to the castle and told her father to piss off again), and did the Rising at Dawn quest before even starting the "A New Order". I still ran in to the same problem. Although I wasn't a vampire anymore and didn't have the quest interrupted, the end result was still the "Prophet" quest not triggering, and Serana just casually chilling in her castle.

Also, my character is a custom race. Temptress. I used a custom race for my first Dawnguard playthrough but she wasn't a vampire so that could be it.

Ok, I've just had a look at DLC1VQ03Hunter in the creation kit. It has a lot of quest aliases that need to get set up for it kick off properly. If just one of them fails to fill, you'd get the results you describe. Some of the aliases involve npcs like Hulda and innkeepers which would be affected by something like immersive citizens. It might be a long shot, but if that's the only mod you've changed apart from the unofficial patches, it might be worth uninstalling it and replaying from the later stages of A New Order to see if it fixes it.

I'll try uninstalling it and giving it a shot, but I'm not sure if it will work. With Immersive Citizens, you have to start a new game for the changes to become persistent and take effect. I think in order to completely remove the effects of the NPCs it has, you may have to restart a new game as well. I'm not sure, but I'll give it a shot and see what happens. I'll pop open Dawnguard in the creation kit again and look at the quest aliases and try to do some more investigating.

Thanks for the replies. I'll try curing via Better Vampires, and/or removing Immersive Citizens and see if that does anything.

Edited by DjaySaint

• 1 month later...
  • 4 months later...

I had the problem that Bloodline never starten after awaking ended. serana just walk away. I fixed the problem by isolating the source to girls army, girls overhaul and tiny children fix. I also ran tes5edit cleaned heartfire multiple adoptions (HMA). what i've found while cleaning is tes5edit showed me some dirty files/edits on HMA dialogs. It seems that in combination with http://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/65155/? these dialogs conflict with each other and the quest doesnt start.

So i've uninstalled the thos mods, cleaned HMA with tes5edit then typed in the console the setstage command to go to the previous quest then back to the actuall quest. The exact lines were:

this should restart the quest awaking:

setstage DLC1VQ01 10

then

setstage DLC1HunterBaseIntro 20

I have not tried it out with The Bloodstone Chalice Quest yet so i can't say anything for that. I hope this gives you at least a lead if not solves your problem.