Fallout style trap disable

Guest deleted2588518

Guest deleted2588518

Ok, so while I've been plugging away at the CK and doing all sorts of little things. I've learned a bit on the activators and whatnot in skyrim and how they differ from FO3/NV.

One thing that bothers me is that you can't disarm traps in Skyrim, you can only set them off. There is only one type of trap you can attempt to disable, the door/chest trigger. And it uses the lockpick UI!? Its not a lock... IDK what they were thinking. If they were thinking at all. Or perhaps they just felt that console players either wouldn't care or notice the difference. Or, my personal fav, they were super lazy.

So what if there was a system that allowed you to disable the traps. Like, completely remove bone chimes if your skill in stealth is high enough. Or disable door/chest traps without lockpicking. (no security skill in skyrim so lockpicking is pretty much the only relevant skill, which doesn't really make sense. Or using the lockpick UI to disable traps.)

I've been looking over the activators in the CK and thought I could manage a dialogue option to disable some traps, but I couldn't figure out how to get them to work. I figured it would be like locked chests, but it doesn't seem to work becuase it isn't a container. There is also the issue of removing the LPUI from some traps (because its stupid). And those do have dialogue options...

I'm still pretty new to this whole thing. I wonder if anyone else has attempted to do something relatively similar? Is there a mod that already does this or is there someone who knows how to make it work?

Using the lock pick to disable traps seems like a reasonable compromise to me. Instead of thinking of it as a lock, think of it as a landmine. To disable one you have to carefully tinker around inside with special tools until the mechanism disengages. With that in mind there are parallels between picking a lock and disabling a trap but to highlight the differences would have meant programming in a new interface, new tools, and probably a new skill to learn as well as separate mechanics from that of lock picking. People hate the lock picking minigame enough as it is, how do you think people would like another one? Another thing to consider is the traps themselves would be fairly primitive in keeping with the time period and so would be very simple trigger mechanisms. Likely the only way to "secure" the inner workings was by creating a casing that locked, hence the lock picking to disable traps.

Guest deleted2588518

You're right, no one wants another pointless mini-game. I'm not looking to create a new one, I'm looking to remove the mini-game from trap disabling and use an alternate means to disable them outside of lock picking.

Picking a lock and disabling a landmine are worlds apart. The traps I'm dealing with here are simple wire based trips. The way they function is based on pulling a rope in a specific direction. I shouldn't need to be a master locksmith to cut a rope (provided I actually notice it before I spring the trap). Bone chimes are as simple as cutting a rope and moving the whole mess without making any noise.

See, Fallout you can disable tripwires to the traps no matter what. Zero skill investment. Its as simple as cutting a wire. Because any idiot with a sharp object can cut a wire. (provided they actually notice its existence) The difference between the Fallout style and the Skyrim style is; When you cut a tripwire in Fallout the trap is dead and can't spring. In Skyrim cutting the tripwire just sets off the trap. Also, while you can disable the majority of traps in fallout without any skill based requirements, there are still traps in the world that require a skill to disable. Rigged shotguns you can render inert, but to actually disable the trap, you'll need the repair skill. Stuff like grenade bouquets, rigged computers and bomb collars you can't disarm unless your skill in explosives is high enough. But in Skyrim? Want to cut a wire? Hows your lock picking? That doesn't make any sense.

I've got an Alchemy based grenade mod in the works currently (along with molotov cocktails) and thought I would add some explosive traps to a few places around Skyrim for some flavor. But since there isn't an explosives skill in Skyrim perhaps I'll tie those to the sneak skill and see what happens. Or perhaps I'll create a whole new skill tree based around traps. There are a few mods out there that allow you to create and place your own traps. Who knows.

So, Throwing Weapons Lite is a thing. Guess I can scrap my grenade mod I'm working on.

Edited by TotalMeltdown