ctd enb troubleshooting stability crash

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

name523

name523

• Members
  • Pip
  • 17 posts

Hi all, I wouldn't quite consider myself a novice with ENB's; i'm quite comfortable with their installation and understand how to meddle with values, however I am far from familiar with the nitty gritty stuff or exactly how they work. I have nearly 600 hours logged into skyrim on this machine alone and the vast majority of that has been with an ENB successfully installed. The issue I've been experiencing has only surfaced in the past few months and it has completely prevented me from further enjoying the game. Currently, every time I kill anything, from troll to dragon to skeever to town guard, my game will CTD 30 seconds later. I've tested and replicated the crash in a number of different scenarios including killing guards at various cities, killing wolves, skeevers or frostbite spiders on the road, and bandits both above and below ground - even in the "qasmoke" testinghall. After starting with a list of nearly 150 some odd mods, I've slowly whittled away at ALL of them to the point of completely re-installing vanilla skyrim. As I was 1 by 1 re-installing mods, I noticed that the basic enbseries files don't have the same effect, only ENB presets seem to be causing the crashes. At the moment I am only running CoT, ELFX, SkyUI, MemoryBlocksLog, and SSME while testing various enb presets, No texture mods, no additional content mods. After mindlessly droning at this issue for nearly 3 months I believe I have completely exhausted my minimal knowledge base and I'm desperately seeking advice from any of the brilliant modders here on the nexus. Please feel free to message me if you have inquiries or would like further details on the situation. Also feel free to post any wild ideas you may have, I'll gladly consider any advice anyone else has at this point ;) -Thanks a bunch!!

korun

korun

Old hand

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 859 posts

SSME no longer needed if you use the last Skse 

you just need to have a Skse.ini with these lines

[General]

ClearInvalidRegistrations=1

[Memory]
DefaultHeapInitialAllocMB=768»»»max memory block size use by skyrim
ScrapHeapSizeMB=256

and you get the same as SSME

then a Enb is just there to enhance graphics and lighting, even it's not compatible with a mod , usualy any weather mod, it works anyway you just have weird colors and weather behaviour.

do you used overhaul for npcs, animals kind of mods? if you have a CTD as soon you kill anything, it's because it trigger something which was modified or, not in your game anymore.  

post your old mod list and load order if you can, Vram + Ram

@@

Edited by korun, 11 August 2015 - 01:37 PM.

name523

name523

• Members
  • Pip
  • 17 posts

Hi there, thanks so much for the quick response.

My current hardware is as follows, GPU: GTX 770 2gb, and 16gb of corsair RAM.

I'm no longer using my old load order as I've re-installed the game and am now working off of a clean vanilla installation. As such I have not added any mods other than the ones I previously mentioned (COT, SkyUI,ELFX, MemoryBlocksLog,SKSE). I've also disabled SSME since reading your post - thanks for the tip.

I do currently have the Project ENB preset installed for testing purposes however I am relatively familiar with the installation and removal of different presets.

It's worth noting that the crash only occurs when I have a modded preset installed, however when it's just the default ENBSeries files without a modded enblocal.ini it runs perfectly smooth.

korun

korun

Old hand

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 859 posts

it's worth noting that the crash only occurs when I have a modded preset installed, however when it's just the default ENBSeries files without a modded enblocal.ini it runs perfectly smooth.

ok so, how your Enblocal.ini is set?

by SKyrimTuner (RealVision Enb) :
  • MEMORY]
    ExpandSystemMemoryX64=true
    ReduceSystemMemoryUsage=true 
    DisableDriverMemoryManager=false 
    DisablePreloadToVRAM=false 
    EnableUnsafeMemoryHacks=false 
    ReservedMemorySizeMb=XXX <--- start with 64, increase in increments of 128 ( 256, 384, 512, ..., 1024 ) until stuttering has ceased.
                                                             Only use >=512 with at least 2-3Gb VRAM.
    VideoMemorySizeMb=XXXX <--- RAM + VRAM - 2048 (1Gb=1024) if your RAM < 8Gb. If you have RAM bigger or equal to 8Gb (8192Mb) use 
                                                        (Total Available Video/Graphics Memory - [170 (for win7) or 350 (for win8/10)]).
    EnableCompression=false 
    AutodetectVideoMemorySize=false
  • [ENGINE]
    ForceAnisotropicFiltering=true
    MaxAnisotropy=16 
    EnableVSync=true
    AddDisplaySuperSamplingResolutions=false
    VSyncSkipNumFrames=0

with Enb.221  or .279/262/277 ?

you have EnbHost from preset or the one from the Wrapper file?
which option file you use?
@@

saurusmaximus

saurusmaximus

Faithful poster

• Premium Member
  • 1,906 posts

It's been reported by some that setting ExpandSystemMemoryX64=false when using ssme/skse will sometimes result in a more stable game, due to some memory allocation weirdness. 

name523

name523

• Members
  • Pip
  • 17 posts

It's been reported by some that setting ExpandSystemMemoryX64=false when using ssme/skse will sometimes result in a more stable game, due to some memory allocation weirdness. 

I think that's done it!!! Thank you sooo much. Now I'm off to go one by one install my previous mods - so until I encounter my next incompatibility, thank you both for your assistance and take care!!

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: ctd, enb, troubleshooting, stability, crash

IPB skins by Skinbox
Page loaded in: 1.101 seconds