[Tutorial] Resource & Content swapping or replacing -- faces, mode

• Please log in to reply
130 replies to this topic

SapphireFire

SapphireFire

• Members
  • Pip
  • 11 posts
Thank you for this...but could you give a more step by step instructions? I'm really at a loss of what to do with these files now that I've downloaded them. I'm trying to change Hawke's current mage armor to a warrior-style armor model.

AmmonLymphater

AmmonLymphater

Regular

• Banned
  • PipPip
  • 62 posts

i dont know if im too stupid for this, but this doesnt work for me.
if i try to extract the model.erf with the above tools:
erfextract.exe tells me:
Traceback (most recent call last):
File "erfextract.py", line 17, in <module>
ValueError: need more than 1 value to unpack
(when dragin and droppin models.erf on erfextract)
not a supported file (after giving me a lot of hash lines to choose from)

Well erfextract.exe is a command line tool, it requires input from the user vefore being able to process files.

Normal users only should ever use these files to mod:
editor.exe -> it will provide a graphical user interface (GUI) to tell erfextract.exe what to do, everything can be done with buttons in there
(you can also drag erf files and mor files etc on editor exe, but never on erfextract.exe)
and
Gibbed.Bioware.ErfPack.exe -> also command line but you only have to drag a folder onto it, this program is smart enough to process the files on its own

also i overwritten the fnvhashes.sqlite file from the original tool with one of the lower ones from the link you posted earlier.

Yes that's correct, always keep this file up to date just like the editor.

you say its easy but it seems very difficult to me..
first i need to find out the name of the armor i wear (and the one i want to replace with the carver appearance) - how do i do that? from the savegame or how?
then i need to find something with carver from a file im not even able to open or extract and replace that in an editor which doesnt even open up the models.erf..

well easy is something diffrent (to me at last) :biggrin:

I probably should make a guide with pictures what I have done to create my mod. Hope this helps.

edit: dont want to sound ungratefull - im really thankfull four you help!
its guys like you why i love PC gaming soo much :thumbsup:

Thanks, I'm making tutorials like this so people can try to create their own mods and change their game how they want it to be, rather than to rely on other modders.

lustrianna

lustrianna

Fan

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 289 posts
I see no way of extracting the files from an .erf. Ive tried everything. im wanting to try and edit isabellas armor texture and make her skin tone lighter, that must be in a .dds file under the models.erf. okay, so i can edit the dds with photoshop and repack it into an .erf and place it into my override. But how do i extract the dds from the models.erf to begin with? Of all the tools provided in this thread none actually extract any dds files from an .erf...

AmmonLymphater

AmmonLymphater

Regular

• Banned
  • PipPip
  • 62 posts

I see no way of extracting the files from an .erf. Ive tried everything. im wanting to try and edit isabellas armor texture and make her skin tone lighter, that must be in a .dds file under the models.erf. okay, so i can edit the dds with photoshop and repack it into an .erf and place it into my override. But how do i extract the dds from the models.erf to begin with? Of all the tools provided in this thread none actually extract any dds files from an .erf...

That's because textures are in files called like texturepack.erf and models in model.erf files.

I will post more about that later, still working on a better tutorial.

SapphireFire

SapphireFire

• Members
  • Pip
  • 11 posts
The equipment models appear to be in a file called designerresources.rim. In this file, the equipment models appear to be .uti files. I opened that with the editor and selected a chest armor I want, then I tried to save it with the name of my current chest armor so that I could move to the override folder, but nothing saves.

AmmonLymphater

AmmonLymphater

Regular

• Banned
  • PipPip
  • 62 posts

The equipment models appear to be in a file called designerresources.rim. In this file, the equipment models appear to be .uti files. I opened that with the editor and selected a chest armor I want, then I tried to save it with the name of my current chest armor so that I could move to the override folder, but nothing saves.

Didn't try equipment yet, but player bodies and armour usually need these 4 file types:

.msh -> the polygon mesh of the model
.mmh -> model mesh hierarchy
.phy ->
.dds -> textures

You have to rename at least the msh file (and better the mmh and phy file as well) so the model will change ingame.

That's all I can offer to you at the moment, my new tutorial will be up on first page in a few minutes now, but it only explains the use of the programs in general.

Edited by AmmonLymphater, 14 March 2011 - 09:07 PM.

SapphireFire

SapphireFire

• Members
  • Pip
  • 11 posts
Thank you so much for the updated tutorial! I can confirm that this method does work for swapping armor models as well. The only difficult part is figuring out which code represents which armor, but I'm sure that will be done through trail and error. =)

My only question is about the optional step in terms of swapping faces. How would we edit facial features?

lustrianna

lustrianna

Fan

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 289 posts
With this new tutorial I figured out how to change isabela's facial skin tone. now i just need to figure out where her body/armor texture is and customize it to match the face!

AmmonLymphater

AmmonLymphater

Regular

• Banned
  • PipPip
  • 62 posts

With this new tutorial I figured out how to change isabela's facial skin tone. now i just need to figure out where her body/armor texture is and customize it to match the face!

Congratulations!
I hope your photoshop skills are good and if you like you can probably even release your own Isabella mod.

Looking forward to it.

Edited by AmmonLymphater, 14 March 2011 - 09:49 PM.

Gamen

Gamen

Stranger

• Premium Member
  • 1 posts
To make the process of extracting resources from an ERF clearer:
1) Double-click on editor.exe
2) Go to File > Export
3) Select the ERF archive that contains the resource you want to extract.
4) Select the resource you want to extract.
5) Select the directory and filename you want to extract it to.

To extract all files:
2) Go to File > Extract All
3) Select the ERF you want to extract all resources from
4) Select the directory you want to extract them to.

The editor is first and foremost a GFF editor. The ERF extraction capabilities are to make it so you can open GFF files that are within ERF archives without having to extract them directly first. The ability to extract arbitrary files directly to disk is a result of that existing capability.

IPB skins by Skinbox
Page loaded in: 1.037 seconds