Modifying DA2 Spells/Abilities

• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

DeMocha

DeMocha

Fan

• Premium Member
  • 300 posts
What i am curious about is whether it might be possible to use 2hand weapon skills with staff?
Cause having a great ranged weapon combined with melee would be great.

MaverickSY19

MaverickSY19

Journeyman

• Premium Member
  • 31 posts
I was trying to increase the taunt range as I like playing a tank and I really dislike the abilities you have to actually agro stuff onto you to protect your party. Because of such a short range and long reuse time and the whole waves of enemies thing (I also dislike how they did the waves thing. I would rather fight harder enemies in one wave, makes more sense.) I just modified taunt to have 1 second reuse time and use no stamina so I can basically spam it all over the place to get enemies on me. :P

neehs

neehs

Stranger

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Been just barely looking into it.

Took a quick look at Shield defense and it seems Column 100 affects the 25% damage done reduction, and 101 is the damage resitance buff.
Granted I'm not completly sure how this all works. I'll just assume these values can be added on other upkeep spells for the same effect.

edit: Colum 100 on Elemental ward thingy covers the magic damage reduction, by now I'm just confusing myself.

Edited by neehs, 21 March 2011 - 01:54 AM.

dual1ty

dual1ty

Stranger

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Guys just a fast question, this is the first time i use pyGFF and i want to increase all Meredith skills atk cuz i make a Meredith character but the skills atks are like 10-60 even at lvl 50. I opened 2da --> abi_base and changed the column 96. How can i save now because i tried with "save as" but it replaced all the 2da file and fked up my game. Thx

Edited by dual1ty, 21 March 2011 - 01:15 AM.

Sabal1984

Sabal1984

Regular

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 92 posts
Bioware files are notorious for their inconsistency.

There's another thread around here (cba searching for the URL) where we discussed how to modify talents.

The conclusion is that the fields you see in the ability.gda when you upen it with pyGFF are modifiable - those you don't, aren't.

So what this means is that if one spell stuns for 10 seconds and does 100 damage, and another does 100 damage and stuns for 10 seconds, there's a good chance you'll be able to modify the first one's stun change but not the damage, and vice versa for the second spell. As I said, lack of consistency is a staple of Bioware game files.

Also, the spell effects themselves (ie, what the spell actually does; heal, damage, buff, whatever) are hardcoded, *cannot* be changed, and refer to a script we can't, for the time being, edit. What this means is that while you can tweak some of the fields of the various spells (some will let you play with damage, others AoE, others the percentile multipliers of special effects, etc.), you can't do any real hardcore modding 'cause the spell's main effect comes through a script.

Finally, testing has showed that adding new lines in the .gda (or replacing/swapping old ones) fires the spell graphics but not the effect - again, a side effect of the fact that the .gda only holds information about secondary spell effects while the primary ones are (probably) coming from the script.

So, to conclude...

- you can't make new spells
- you can't copy/paste/reshuffle old ones
- you can't change the primary effect(s) of spells
- you *CAN* modify multipliers/damage/duration/cooldown

EDIT:
Read this;
http://www.thenexusf...nt-to-abi-base/

Edited by Sabal1984, 21 March 2011 - 01:36 PM.

angelsavior9mm

angelsavior9mm

Regular

• Premium Member
  • 82 posts
Just fyi there's a total of 840 files in the 2da.rim

Sabal1984

Sabal1984

Regular

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 92 posts

Just fyi there's a total of 840 files in the 2da.rim

God I wish people would read the title/post.

I said I wanted to map what each of the *columns* does to a particular spell talent, not what each and *every one* of the spells does.

Also, FYI, the columns are the same for every spell/talent - it's their fields that differ from one ability to the next (and a lot of those are the same as well, like cooldown, duration, force, and mana).

creeve4

creeve4

• Members
  • Pip
  • 10 posts
Any progress on finding the file and location therein that contains spell aoe size? I've looked through most the the .gda files in 2da.rim and have yet to find it.

Sabal1984

Sabal1984

Regular

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 92 posts

Any progress on finding the file and location therein that contains spell aoe size? I've looked through most the the .gda files in 2da.rim and have yet to find it.

Spell AoE as well as spell casting range seems to be coming from the script(s?). There isn't a field in the .gda which controls the size of auras or the range of particular spells (for example, I wanted tweak Scythe to have about 5x range but low damage - I can lower the damage, but I can't increase its range).

Hopefully, we'll be able to mess with this once the toolset comes out.

If someone managed to find/modify these files, please post your info here. :thumbsup:

klowdy123

klowdy123

Stranger

• Premium Member
  • 4 posts
Column 33 (type_use in GDapp) controls what type of spell it is.

1 is active [or an activated spell]
2 is a sustained ability
3 is a passive ability
4 is an upgrade

These are my findings so far (that haven't been mentioned here).

Edited by klowdy123, 28 March 2011 - 04:16 PM.

IPB skins by Skinbox
Page loaded in: 0.923 seconds