Photo

Where are the spell effects that point to abi base?

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

Xodarap777

Xodarap777

Old hand

• Supporter
  • PipPipPip
  • 612 posts
This was my post on the bioware social site before coming here to ask:

I've been trying to make new mage trees and revamping the old ones. I've figured out the values in the abi_base.gda, what they do and what to do with them. I've even figured out how to make/alter descriptions, make and move icons, etc... BUT, I can't seem to change the effects of spells. I can change the visual effect, but, for example, if I copy the whole rows for the heal spells (spell+upgrade) and copy it into a different spell's slot, it behaves just like heal, looks just like heal, but doesn't actually add HP. Same thing happens if I make new lines for new spells. So the spell effects are referencing INto the abi_base.gda from elsewhere, and I've looked everywhere in the 2da.rim file and I *think* everywhere in every single file in the packages\core\data and I can't find ANYTHING that might hold spell effects. Of course, it could be in a script that's inaccessible/not-compilable at this time, but it seems there would be *some* gda connecting the references! I have no idea why it wouldn't be an "outgoing" column in the abi_base.gda, pointing at an effect... :/

I figure someone here might know the naming patterns from DAO or even NWN, which I expect are still very similar.

EDIT: So I'm figuring that it's all in the spell_singletarget.ncs file, so the bigger question: Is it possible to compile scripts in DA2 using the DAO toolset or any other tool?

Edited by Xodarap777, 17 March 2011 - 09:50 PM.

Sabal1984

Sabal1984

Regular

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 92 posts
I think you'll just have to wait for the Toolset before you can start making some real progress.

I'm doing a similar thing, modding the spells and whatnot, and I've run into the same problem.

One thing I haven't been able to figure out is how to change the actual text description of spells, and where the said description is located. I also don't know how to swap icons. Would you mind telling me how you figured this out, and how it's done? :blush:

Xodarap777

Xodarap777

Old hand

• Supporter
  • PipPipPip
  • 612 posts

I think you'll just have to wait for the Toolset before you can start making some real progress.

I'm doing a similar thing, modding the spells and whatnot, and I've run into the same problem.

One thing I haven't been able to figure out is how to change the actual text description of spells, and where the said description is located. I also don't know how to swap icons. Would you mind telling me how you figured this out, and how it's done? :blush:

I posted my progress on naming the columns in abi_base elsewhere:

Column, description:
3: Ability Title (int)
4: Ability Description (int)
6: Icon (string, reference)
11-14: Prereq skills (int) (refers to col 1)
15: Points req (int) (points in specialization/category)
16: level req (int)
21: icon position, X (int)
22: icon position, Y (int) (0, 0 is top left)
23-25: Upgrades (int) (refers to col 1)
60: Ability class & type (ie, "Mage singletarget", "Mage modal")
97: Magnitude modifiers (int) (eg, phys force xN)
98: Effect duration in seconds (float)
100: Effect magnitude (float) (e.g., heal is 0.4=40%; haste is 50=50%)
101-107: Additional effect magnitudes (float) (e.g., Heroic Aura: 100=15, 101=7.5 - game told me 8%! :O - upgrade is 102=10, 103=10)
108: For sustained, radius of effect (int) (??)

Cols 3 and 4 reference into the tlk file (under talktables). 6 tells you the name of the icon graphic. 21 and 22 position the icon on the "page" (when you zoom in to the subcategory). You can use the prereq skills in 11-14 to edit the "branches" or paths within that category, too. In fact, they were nice enough to make it "pretty," but I've played around and had ugly, overlapping webs of icons and paths criss-crossing all over the place. You can look at other subcategories to get an idea of icon placement patterns. (Typically, it goes in multiples of 125, from 0,0 at the top left, to 125, 125, then underneath that icon is 125, 250, to the right of the first icon is 250,125, etc. -- upgrade icons might throw you off, though; I just copied their math).

Unfortunately, without adding new scripts for new spells, the ID column (col 1) hardcodes the spell's actual effect. Which is really, really stupid. I should be able to point a new spell to an existing spell's existing script. Anger! :P

Xodarap777

Xodarap777

Old hand

• Supporter
  • PipPipPip
  • 612 posts
I'll be adding some mods based on this info at some point in the next few days. :)

lustrianna

lustrianna

Fan

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 289 posts
Im looking to change the name and description of the summon mabari ability. if you could PM a quick tutorial on how to do this, I will give credit to you when my mod is complete. I have been working two summoning abilities for days now, that i know thousands of players will use.

Edited by lustrianna, 19 March 2011 - 11:44 PM.

Sabal1984

Sabal1984

Regular

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 92 posts

Cols 3 and 4 reference into the tlk file (under talktables).

So is it possible to edit this tlk file to write new descriptions?

If so, how? What editor is needed? I suppose the descriptions are strings, right?

IPB skins by Skinbox
Page loaded in: 1.018 seconds