• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

GreatFuzzy1

GreatFuzzy1

Regular

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 72 posts
Just a quick tutorial on how to re-skin equipment (not change stats just the look) using the GFF v4.0 Editor. This is my first tutorial so please be constructive/kind in feedback. I wrote this up to go with the Arms list I created on DA Nexus - Arms Reference for Female Characters

Open the GFF V4.0 Editor

Open the 2da.rim file using the GFF Editor (this should be located in the main directory under program files/dragon age 2/packages / core / data

Posted Image

It will ask you to Choose the resource to open, select item_variations.gda

Posted Image

At this point you should make a BACKUP! I suggest saving to mydocuments in a WIP file (I have all my mods saved to a folder called DA Files so I can move between it & the core/override). Save As - item_variations.gda (you need to add the file ext since it won't generate automatically)

Click on the line 0 and again on line 10003 (type rows, thre are 443 items in the value)

You will see every generic equipment model & a few special ones as well.

Each line item has a "code" that corrisponds elsewhere and will change the appearance of the ingame item if you change it.

Posted Image

For example - I know that the default "look" for my current equipment is rob_maga and can be found my doing a search and then selecting the main entry (Light-Commoner A). By knowing the default model name of your equipment style you can look up what you are wearing currently and replace it to reskin.

Posted Image

I wish replace the rob_maga skin with the pretty fur-trimed robe so I'll find the apporpriate name (rob_appa in this case).

Posted Image

Move to g2da_collumn_7 ecstring rob_maga & select. In the edit box below replace rob_maga with rob_appa & click "Save" below.

Posted Image

Now go to file & select "Save As"

Posted Image

Move your file to the DragonAge2/packages/core/override folder and when you load your game you will be a pretty pretty princess!

Before

Smuggler's Robes and Strapping

Posted Image

After

Posted Image
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Edit:

To fix the dreaded No Arms & No Legs (thanks to Mayfaire for providing the solution!)

If you have a peice of equipment that takes up the arms & legs slots but wish to re-skin with equipment that does not you might run into invisible body parts.

The SHAME! :wallbash:

To fix this simple edit the G2DA_Collumn_11 from 3 (all slots) to 0.

Posted Image

Side note: If you change the number to 1 you will see your legs but no arms. If you change the number to 2 you will see your arms but no legs.

et voilla - Fixed & Beautiful once again! :thumbsup:

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Note: if you selected an item with a gender speific model or miss typed the item name your character will be invis when you load your game.

The item color seems to be directly related to the material of the item & I don't know how to mess w/that at this point. The item that I have equipped in all my pictures is the Smuggler's Robes and Strapping

I've not had any issues with conflicts for anything but obviously if you are already using someone elses modified item_variations.gda then you would want to edit that instead of creating a new override file.

If you want to set your item back to the default you can simply change it to the name on g2da_collumn_2, the one in the quotes.

Changing this will change how ALL of the equipable items of that variation will look. It does not affect NPCs in general but may on NPCs you actually have a dialog with (like the Suspicious Woman in the Hanged Man had the wrong hood after I changed the file but no one else had been changed)

You can make multiple edits on the same file for multiple peices of equipment.

Edited by GreatFuzzy1, 21 March 2011 - 02:06 AM.

Pharaoh

Pharaoh

Journeyman

• Members
  • Pip
  • 21 posts
you mean if i retexture noble clothing that mentioned in a few rows in items_variations.gda NPCs won't change?)
i've worked a lot trying to replace any of robes with bethany's warden robe. but there's a problem - bethany's robe has chest type, while most robes have unibody type. so it's ok but not for all cases. thanks for tute.

p.s. nice morrigan you have here) can you upload her morph? where any hair/face mods used?)

GreatFuzzy1

GreatFuzzy1

Regular

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 72 posts
For the hair & tattoos that you see I used the Change Hawke preset by BurntCheese.

http://dragonagenexu...ile.php?id=2176

I think that if you use the commoner robe type it should translate to Bethany's warden robes...I was using the Smuggler's Robes & Strappings for all my tests and didn't run into any "invisible limb issues" however haven't tried it out with a standard robe type yet but the feed back I've gotten seems to indicate that it will cause some issues.

You might check out DA II female mage warden armor @ http://dragonagenexu...ile.php?id=2310

Pharaoh

Pharaoh

Journeyman

• Members
  • Pip
  • 21 posts

I think that if you use the commoner robe type it should translate to Bethany's warden robes...

if you have time could you please explain this part?
for me, i've replaced blood dragon's armor with bethany's robe model (edited items_variations.gda) and corrected item restrictions/properties editing save game. for now it's ok, though i don't like editing save games. it's too... bothering, counting how much profiles i had =)
thanks for the link. this way seems much more elegant =)

GreatFuzzy1

GreatFuzzy1

Regular

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 72 posts
Ah, sorry. I was just talking about a compatible equipment type (the one I was using). Words are uncooperative today so I added a pic. :)

Posted Image

The equip name is Light Commoner A & all the "commoner" robe types are shirts & pants vs the standard robes which I've always had the arms & feet go invisible if the mesh doesn't match up. But using the BDA for for Bethany's armor should be pretty clean. :D Brilliant!

edgedy

edgedy

Regular

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 51 posts
I was hoping someone would make an erf to change the appearance of the seb300im_low_dagger to look like the gen_im_wep_rog_dua_lore_0 one.

I don't know how to identify which dagger appearance is which, anyone able to help me do this properly?

Edited by edgedy, 20 March 2011 - 09:40 AM.

Kiori

Kiori

Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 146 posts
edgedy you can try with item_variations.gda to find the dagger

edgedy

edgedy

Regular

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 51 posts

edgedy you can try with item_variations.gda to find the dagger

I've got the list of daggers, but no way to identify which ones I'd need to modify. Heh.

Kiori

Kiori

Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 146 posts
and wich one u want to modify ?
U mean the skin or items properties ?

Hotieadin

Hotieadin

Regular

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 98 posts
How are you even able to open up the pictures files like rob_maga in windows? This is what I cant figure out I downloaded photoshop, and installed the nvidia plugin but I still can't look at the armor pictures. I can not even look at the files other modders have made in the override folder.

Page loaded in: 1.050 seconds