• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

Lehcar

Lehcar

Faithful poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,352 posts
I haven't been bothered to get past Lothering as a warrior/rogue yet. Of course I already know about Carver dying, but is anything else very different in the story, in terms of dialog or otherwise, if you're not a mage?

I don't know why I've only been able to bring myself to play as a mage so far. It just seems better somehow, it fits the story better, like the story and such was made more for mage Hawke than warrior or rogue. Being a mage is just so much more attractive.

Ofcourse that inevitably leads me to side with the mages in the endgame, because being a mage myself I just know that Meredith and them templars would eventually turn on me and come after me as well. Posted Image

Edited by Lehcar, 18 March 2011 - 07:52 AM.

evilbeefjerky

evilbeefjerky

Fan

• Supporter
  • PipPipPip
  • 304 posts
If you're not a mage, you don't get the "I'm a mage!" options all the time, a few of the magey things you do are transferred to Merril or Anders if they're in the party and the "hiding from the Templars" bit from act 1 is focused on Bethany instead of you.
That and Cullen looks significantly less stupid when dealing with you.

WrathOfDeadguy

WrathOfDeadguy

Fan

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 470 posts
I played a rogue first, now I'm running a mage... the main difference that I'm noticing so far is that Bethany was easier to get friend points with than Carver is. Bethany is somewhat upbeat about everything, whereas Carver is a little angst-muffin. Unlike with Carver, there is zero lead-up to Bethany's departure from the party if she survives the end of Act I. The Carver survival outcome feels like a betrayal, but is also somewhat deeper if you've given him Father's letters to his namesake. Either way, they're gone for most of the game and what you choose determines whether they rejoin you or not.

As for the rest of the game... since all of your mage party members are apostates, nothing really changes beyond a few dialogue options. You'll still get the little "is this a good idea?" whispering when you go to the Gallows to take templar quests; it'll just be your party worried about themselves instead of you. So far I think I enjoy Hawke's mage dialogue more, but there don't seem to be any places where your choice of class affects the ultimate outcome. Even templars can't tell who's a mage just by looking.

evilbeefjerky

evilbeefjerky

Fan

• Supporter
  • PipPipPip
  • 304 posts
Well you have to love how Cullen looks mage Hawke in the eye and declares "Mages aren't like you and me!".
Yeah just what did those abominations do to your mind there, Cullen? No wonder Greagor had you shipped overseas.

kayinv

kayinv

Old hand

• Supporter
  • PipPipPip
  • 559 posts

Well you have to love how Cullen looks mage Hawke in the eye and declares "Mages aren't like you and me!".
Yeah just what did those abominations do to your mind there, Cullen? No wonder Greagor had you shipped overseas.

I was going to say...doesn't he notice you casting lightning bolts and fireballs with the Wilmod fight? Maybe Warden Amell mage casted a spell on him that made him think any Amell-related mage is perfectly normal and definitely NOT a mage.

Yes, that has to be it.

Edited by kayinv, 20 March 2011 - 07:11 AM.

CrapsterZ

CrapsterZ

Regular

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 90 posts

I was going to say...doesn't he notice you casting lightning bolts and fireballs with the Wilmod fight? Maybe Warden Amell mage casted a spell on him that made him think any Amell-related mage is perfectly normal and definitely NOT a mage.

Yes, that has to be it.

Considering he had a crush on the female Amell mage... Feigned ignorance? :D

Skevitj

Skevitj

Fan

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 481 posts
The first thing you or your sister does in Kirkwall is flash fry a few deserters, in the middle of the *crowded* gallows, in front of a guard who reports to the templar commander.

A refugee apostate in the middle of the templar's haunt? Bioware had the choice of trying to actually create a plausible, interesting story or just make everyone ignorant idiots...

The game's riddled with situations like that though, there's one possible outcome which is mindless, counter-intuitive and was never really a sane option anyway, but it makes creating the quests that much quicker and easier.

[rant]Between that copy-paste landscapes and the 1D quest paths, what did the developers actually spend their time doing?[/rant]

Lawlder

Lawlder

President of your Heart

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,109 posts
I felt that playing as a Warrior meant I was playing as an observer, someone who was only indirectly affected by the mage/templar conflict. I felt that my character should have just stayed out of politics after the Qunari were dealt with. It was no longer her war.

WrathOfDeadguy

WrathOfDeadguy

Fan

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 470 posts
For immersion's sake, I only took non-mage party members into the Cullen and Elric (the very beginning of the serial killer questline has you jumped by a gang right in front of him) quests and just refrained from casting any spells with Hawke- it's only the two battles, IIRC, and neither one is particularly difficult. It is much, much easier to accept Hawke & co. not being caught that way.

I wish Bioware had adopted a system like the one in Vampire: the Masquerade- Bloodlines. Certain abilities could be used without revealing your supernatural nature to mortals, but others were an instant give-away and if you used them too often out in the open you'd have vampire hunters and eventually your own kind coming after you to put and end to it. That would make a fantastic system for in-city magic use in DA2... while you might get away with one or two fireballs, sooner or later if you got careless you'd find templars lying in wait around every corner. As you became more and more famous, you'd have to be more and more cautious- and once the templars start showing up, it gets harder to get rid of them without attracting even more attention; eventually they follow you home or overwhelm you and the result is a nonstandard game-over.

While out in public during the day, you'd have to unequip your staff (and what's up with not being able to *not* carry a weapon anyway? Sure it's stupid to do so but shouldn't unarmed combat be an option? We already know that mages can cast without a staff) and refrain from using any damaging spells; at night you'd be able to have your staff equipped and be able to use single-target damage spells, and while outside the city or in a dungeon area you'd be able to safely use your whole arsenal unless there was a templar in the area, in which case you'd have to off the poor sod if he caught you.

All restrictions would, of course, be lifted for Act III since the templars are aware you're a mage by then and just cant do anything about you because of your popularity.

Heh- now I'm just dreaming of what could have been.

Isn't there an option to throw your mage-ness in Cullen's face after you've rescued the recruit from Tahrone (or whatever her name was)? I can't remember whether I picked it or not. How does he react if you out yourself to him?

VividSinns1995

VividSinns1995

Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 145 posts

For immersion's sake, I only took non-mage party members into the Cullen and Elric (the very beginning of the serial killer questline has you jumped by a gang right in front of him) quests and just refrained from casting any spells with Hawke- it's only the two battles, IIRC, and neither one is particularly difficult. It is much, much easier to accept Hawke & co. not being caught that way.

I wish Bioware had adopted a system like the one in Vampire: the Masquerade- Bloodlines. Certain abilities could be used without revealing your supernatural nature to mortals, but others were an instant give-away and if you used them too often out in the open you'd have vampire hunters and eventually your own kind coming after you to put and end to it. That would make a fantastic system for in-city magic use in DA2... while you might get away with one or two fireballs, sooner or later if you got careless you'd find templars lying in wait around every corner. As you became more and more famous, you'd have to be more and more cautious- and once the templars start showing up, it gets harder to get rid of them without attracting even more attention; eventually they follow you home or overwhelm you and the result is a nonstandard game-over.

While out in public during the day, you'd have to unequip your staff (and what's up with not being able to *not* carry a weapon anyway? Sure it's stupid to do so but shouldn't unarmed combat be an option? We already know that mages can cast without a staff) and refrain from using any damaging spells; at night you'd be able to have your staff equipped and be able to use single-target damage spells, and while outside the city or in a dungeon area you'd be able to safely use your whole arsenal unless there was a templar in the area, in which case you'd have to off the poor sod if he caught you.

All restrictions would, of course, be lifted for Act III since the templars are aware you're a mage by then and just cant do anything about you because of your popularity.

Heh- now I'm just dreaming of what could have been.

Isn't there an option to throw your mage-ness in Cullen's face after you've rescued the recruit from Tahrone (or whatever her name was)? I can't remember whether I picked it or not. How does he react if you out yourself to him?

I definitely agree with ya there if only it was like that, I find it painfully obvious that if we're carrying staves than obviously Templars would be hot on our tails. Carver may be worrying shitless about getting thrown in the Gallows buuuttt... *looks to the left and right* What templars are he referring to? Lawls... Only reason they hadnt noticed for an entire year they explained was because if you join either the Smugglers or the Mercenary group they keep your identity a secret while you're with them. Maybe Kirkwall isnt crawling with Templars at every turn, and hey maybe some people arent reporting the Mage Hawke because some are supportive of mages like that man that confronts you after asking for Anders outside of Irene's Imports. Anddd considering Kirkwall was once part of the Tevinter Imperium, majority of the residence of the city may still have magic in their bloodline and holds support groups to keep it a secret from the Templars. Like Athenril said, "They'd like to think they have mages leashed in this city but when is that ever true?" Which can explain why the Divine fears Kirkwall becoming another Imperium, the only thing keeping it from becoming a Magister's city is basically the Templars and Knight Commander Meredith, but only barely. 

As much as we'd like Bioware to bring more realism to the game, its flawed by human nature, but nothing is perfect. It aint like we can predict every contingency that we meet down the road..  

IPB skins by Skinbox
Page loaded in: 1.021 seconds