Companions require Charisma to join

Cubicar

I find FNV SPECIAL system the most right and interesting among all the role playing systems I met in the games. But one thing bothers me - Charisma itself is a pretty useless attribute. AFAIK many players prefer not to spend any points on it, that ruins the system's integrity. So the idea is to raise Charisma usefulness by adding Charisma checks (from 3 to 5) into the companions' dialogue lines so that this companions would refuse to join a player if Charisma check is not passed (temporary boosts should not affect).

I am still new to the game, I haven't dealt with the companions yet, so I am not sure how much this idea fits to the game.

Edited by Cubicar

I find FNV SPECIAL system the most right and interesting among all the role playing systems I met in the games. But one thing bothers me - Charisma itself is a pretty useless attribute.

I can understand where you coming from, but I did want to mention that charisma is related to companion nerve, and a high charisma can give significant bonuses to companions. I don't recall exactly how much at the moment, but for a high charisma character it was substantial.

So the idea is to raise Charisma usefulness by adding Charisma checks (from 3 to 5) into the companions' dialogue lines so that this companions would refuse to join a player if Charisma check is not passed (temporary boosts should not affect).

So the checks are relatively easy, but you wouldn't want to change the dialog (it would no longer be voiced, unless you found a new voice actor), so your limited to existing dialog. You may not be able to seamlessly insert those checks. I bet you could find a few topics where it wouldn't be out of place by piggybacking on other attribute checks (like the threshold for a topic that depends on Karma could possibly be lower if the courier has a high charisma), but I suspect just straight up new checks (of charisma) is going to messy.

Well there are mods that makes Charisma limit amount of companions.

So you could just have one of those mods, where one Charisma only lets you recruit critter companions.

Ed-E and Rex, they wouldn't really care too much.

Then add a charisma requirement for each humanoid companion. If not passed they would say the standard "sorry but your party is to full" line.

possibly also add it so that when you try to recruit Arcade as a woman or Veronica as a man, you might need higher charisma then otherwise, seeing their gay? XD

Edited by Danny159

I find FNV SPECIAL system the most right and interesting among all the role playing systems I met in the games. But one thing bothers me - Charisma itself is a pretty useless attribute.

I can understand where you coming from, but I did want to mention that charisma is related to companion nerve, and a high charisma can give significant bonuses to companions. I don't recall exactly how much at the moment, but for a high charisma character it was substantial.

Nerve grants a total bonus of +50% damage and damage threshold, but AFAIK stupid AI often makes this useless as it makes useless companion itself. Anyway, seems to me minimal Charisma is far not so critical as any other attribute.

Edited by Cubicar

Anyway, seems to me minimal Charisma is far not so critical as any other attribute.

I had responded to the body of your post, but your title is smaller in scope (Companions require Charisma to join). That one, I think, would be easy to tag on to any other conditions in a single topic. Did you have a minimum number in mind?

Anyway, seems to me minimal Charisma is far not so critical as any other attribute.

I had responded to the body of your post, but your title is smaller in scope (Companions require Charisma to join). That one, I think, would be easy to tag on to any other conditions in a single topic. Did you have a minimum number in mind?

What about \

Rex/Ed-E = 1 or 2 Charisma

Raul = 3 (he's just glad he's no longer prisoner of Tabitha)

Boone/Cass/Lily = 5

Veronica as female Courier = 5

Veronica as male courier = 7

Arcade as female courier = 7

Arcade as male courier = 5

So the checks are relatively easy, but you wouldn't want to change the dialog (it would no longer be voiced, unless you found a new voice actor), so your limited to existing dialog.

I think if player is limited in number of companions that are in the party at one moment, then there should be some refusing responses. Even if there are not, I think there is a way to keep the dialog voiced because in mod Goodsprings Shack NPC received one mute response, but rest of them remained as they were.

Me not understand second sentence (even enhancing my cerebral cortex with the Logic Co-Processor didn't help :smile:). If we are talking about required Charisma numbers, then I think they should be in the range of 3-6, or maybe 2-6. I don't think it is worth to make it higher than 6 because non perks require Charisma so high.

I think if player is limited in number of companions that are in the party at one moment, then there should be some refusing responses.

There are. Each companion has at least one.

Even if there are not, I think there is a way to keep the dialog voiced because in mod Goodsprings Shack NPC received one mute response, but rest of them remained as they were.

I think your a bit confused, I was referring to new topics (which would not have audio/be voiced, unless you have someone record new lines), old topics are unaffected.

Me not understand second sentence

You can have a topic with multiple conditions to be satisfied to be true. One of those original topics (re: being hired) could be a additional condition of a minimum charisma level.

So we already have refusing responses, we already have needed topics which can have an additional condition of a minimum Charisma level, then sounds like it should be pretty seamlessly to do. And it is not a big deal that companions' responses will refer to hero's fully crowded party when Charisma check is not passed, after all this is going to be just another one user mod.