• Please log in to reply
76 replies to this topic

XTR3M368

XTR3M368

Foe Hammer

• Supporter
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,344 posts
Personally, I think they were TERRIBLE! From my male perspective, I was really disappointed.

First off, I am not gay and I found it a tightrope balancing act trying to figure out how to improve the approval rating with Anders and Fenris without having them try and kiss me. It is all well and good that BioWare considers all types of people when they make the romances, but I would have really liked to "opt out" of the same sex ones.

Next..Isabela. While she isn't bad to look at, she grossed me out. I had a less nasty feel from the prostitutes at the Rose then I did from her. All I could think was she must have a case of "herpe-ghonda-syph-aids" and was surprised she didn't frequent Anders "clinic" for rashes. The bad girl in DAO, Morrigan, didn't give me that vibe at all.

Merrill....a naive elf dabbling in blood magic she obviously didn't understand while driven in her single minded course for her personal missions. These were obvious to everyone to be dangerous without any real hope of accomplishing anything. I really miss Leliana. She was my favorite vanilla romance.

All in all, BioWare laid an egg with the whole romance system on this one.....which surprised me since DAO, ME and ME2 were decent. The romances felt forced and were contrary to my nature. I guess if all you wanted to do was get a piece of tail, you probably liked Isabela. If so, I would take you character to see Anders to have yourself checked for rashes. These romance choices were of 2 kinds, bad and worse.

andreweve1

andreweve1

Fan

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 374 posts
I liked the way they did it, apart from the lack of dialogue.

One could say that everyone had a tightrope balancing act trying to improve the approval rating of all the companions. Regardless of gender or sexual orientation you're always going to be trying to get companions of both sexes to be your friend, whilst not getting them into a relationship. I also would have even liked to "opt out" of opposite-sex romances so female companions wouldn't get the wrong idea. But I don't really see the point because I didn't have a problem as long as I didn't pursue it myself and click the flirt dialogue icons, just like I had to with Anders.

I liked DA:Origin's romance but I only had one person to romance; Zevran. (Even thought I still really only had one choice in this because I just don't like Fenris at all). It gets very boring after a while with no-one else. I think in DA2 they did a good job giving us all the choice between each companion but stuffed it up anyway with lack of dialogue, being able to talk to the companions to really get to know them etc. A mix of DA2 and DA:O romance would have been perfect.

Oh and apparently Isabela does frequent Anders' clinic. I went there and the cutscene she was just leaving and Anders says "you don't want to know" or something like that. :laugh:

Ryas

Ryas

Stranger

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
As far as the guys go, I'm not sure what your issue is, XTR3M368.

First off, I am not gay and I found it a tightrope balancing act trying to figure out how to improve the approval rating with Anders and Fenris without having them try and kiss me.

The UI really makes it dead simple for you. Olive branch: tactful statement likely to elicit friendship. Heart: triggers romance. Not much of a tightrope there, really.

That said, it's not difficult to gain friendship with Anders or Fenris, provided you either side with them on their respective issues or leave them out on quests where you plan to disagree. Romancing them is pretty black-and-white, given the heart icons; in those situations, there's normally a tactful non-romantic choice that'll still grant you a friendship bonus.

leetgamer

leetgamer

Fan

• Premium Member
  • 491 posts
Actually they (Anders and Fenris) only hit on you at the beginning if you choose the olive branch after you complete their sort of introductory quests. If you choose the sarcastic dialogue version they will know that you aren't to be taken seriously therefore they will not hit on you and the heart option will not appear. At least that's my theory from the two playthroughs I've managed to complete.

Edited by leetgamer, 24 March 2011 - 09:04 PM.

markoBG

markoBG

Fan

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 453 posts

Personally, I think they were TERRIBLE! From my male perspective, I was really disappointed.

First off, I am not gay and I found it a tightrope balancing act trying to figure out how to improve the approval rating with Anders and Fenris without having them try and kiss me. It is all well and good that BioWare considers all types of people when they make the romances, but I would have really liked to "opt out" of the same sex ones.

Next..Isabela. While she isn't bad to look at, she grossed me out. I had a less nasty feel from the prostitutes at the Rose then I did from her. All I could think was she must have a case of "herpe-ghonda-syph-aids" and was surprised she didn't frequent Anders "clinic" for rashes. The bad girl in DAO, Morrigan, didn't give me that vibe at all.

Merrill....a naive elf dabbling in blood magic she obviously didn't understand while driven in her single minded course for her personal missions. These were obvious to everyone to be dangerous without any real hope of accomplishing anything. I really miss Leliana. She was my favorite vanilla romance.

All in all, BioWare laid an egg with the whole romance system on this one.....which surprised me since DAO, ME and ME2 were decent. The romances felt forced and were contrary to my nature. I guess if all you wanted to do was get a piece of tail, you probably liked Isabela. If so, I would take you character to see Anders to have yourself checked for rashes. These romance choices were of 2 kinds, bad and worse.

What i really don't like is how you actually develop a romance. You flirt few times and there is it, i love you, come live with me... Origins had much better romances, you could see the change in the character and his behavior, it had a certain depth to it. I agree about Leliana, seeing her in DA 2 made me want to play origins again =)
Romancing Merill isn't that bad though, i would say she is the best option if you play male and i don't mind her having blood magic. Aveline is to manly for my taste, and as for Isabela i don't even have her in my party so i don't romance her either. All in all i think they failed with romances, but i also think they failed on some more important aspects of the game that for me this is actually tolerable.

killzor55

killzor55

Enthusiast

• Account closed
  • PipPip
  • 152 posts
Yeah, I miss Leliana also. I hope BioWare creates a DLC where you can get Alistair and Leliana in your party again!

As for the romances , wait for the toolset. People will make better romance scenes after the release. I'm more than 100% sure ;).

sacredtrojanblade

sacredtrojanblade

Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 221 posts
I remember I spend a lot of time at camp chatting with Morrigan. To learn how she thinks while carefully choose not to upset her. The camp atmosphere under the moonlight was perfect. When she told me how she sometimes shapeshifting to wolf if she felt lonely, I could imagine the sound of howling wolves from distance. The immersion was so deep and personal as I studied her face and wondered myself how lovely she was when she laughed about my comments on her mother.

This feeling isn't there with both Isabela and Merrill. Instead I feel rush and shallow considering I only have to pick olive leaf and heart option for 2 or 3 times and that's it. Nothing to be worried about. Still I hardly feel I know them well enough like I know Morrigan.

I miss my Morrigan :(

DA 2 companions interaction is bad.

Edited by sacredtrojanblade, 25 March 2011 - 12:01 PM.

edriano

edriano

Fan

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 454 posts

Aveline is to manly for my taste,

Huh? I did not know you can romance Aveline,
didn't she date that guard 'what ever' name?
(oh... I hate her personal quest >.<).

Edited by edriano, 25 March 2011 - 12:47 PM.

leetgamer

leetgamer

Fan

• Premium Member
  • 491 posts

Nawh you can't romance her.

markoBG

markoBG

Fan

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 453 posts

Nawh you can't romance her.

You can't? I saw there were flirting options with her so i just assumed it is possible. Not that it matters, for me anyway.

IPB skins by Skinbox
Page loaded in: 0.992 seconds