nicomouse

Hi guys,

I hope this is posted in the right place.

I spent a good year of my life playing Skyrim when it first came out and now I have spent the last two months playing it again with 120 wonderful mods. My computer was doing ok until I downloaded the beautiful Dawn of Skyrim.

I now need something better.

Could someone advise me on upgrading my computer?

Thank you in advance!

AMD Athlon 64X2

Dual Core Processor 6000+ 3.1 GHz

AMD Radeon HD 6700 Graphic Card

8 gig ram

64 bit operating system

Windows 7

Budget $1000

Hi

I would upgrade to a quad core processor (does not have to be the latest model) but you do want to be on at least 3.5 ghz for the latest games and spend as much as you can on a new graphics card (this is the most important piece of kit) also maybe go up too 16gb of ram.

As a guide here are my specs and basically I can run all the new games on ultra settings:

CPU I-4790k 4.0ghz (Quad core)

GPU 4gb EVGA GTX 980 (only the new TI version and the Titan X are better)

16GB of ram

Hope this is helpful.

That is a good budget.

For CPU get an i5-4690K.

GPU, 960 or 970 4gb vram. Both can run vanilla Skyrim at 4k. At 1080 with ENB the 970 runs in the 50s & 760 in the 40s.

With your budget get a big fast HD like a WD Black 4tb(or new 6tb). It will out perform a small SSD(operating system) & cheap slow HD(games) combo when it comes the fetching game data. If you can get a SSD large enough to put your operating system & your Steam collection go for it.

For the best MoBo read reviews. You can get 3 to 5 fps by picking the right one & it isn't always the most expensive ones.

You still only need 8gb ram for games.

Later