Blood on the Ice Bug

Philtroy93

I am stuck at the quest "Blood on the Ice". What I have done so far:

• I arrived at Windhelm and picked up the quest from the guard standing near the three witnesses and the body.
  • I spoke with the witnesses.
  • I spoke to Jorleif.
  • I spoke to Helgrid.
  • I followed the blood trail to Hjerim.
  • I got the key to Hjerim from Friga Shatter-Shield after speaking with a guard for access.
  • I investigated the chest, the shelf, the wardrobe and the altar and took and read the eleven letters and the two Butcher's journals, and took the amulet.

At this point, according to the walkthrough on UESPWiki, I should be able to show the amulet and the journal to Jorleif and to speak with Viola Giordano and Calixto Corrium. But that does not happen. The quest progress is still showing to "Look for clues" and neither Jorleif nor the other two have a conversation option regarding the quest.

I also reloaded the game to a point when I already spoke with the witnesses but not already to Jorleif, but that did not change anything.

So, does somebody know any help how I can progress?

After investigating Hjerim I always go straight to Viola to show her the journals. You have to have a copy of her Beware of the Butcher flyer in your inventory (which sounds like you do?). For whatever reason Jorleif would never speak to me directly after Hjerim so I go to Viola. She then sends you to Jorleif. If you have her flyers on you and it's still not working, then I'm just not sure what's going on.

I *just* finished this quest for the first time. When I got the amulet from Hjerim, I entered Calixto's house and talked to him - there was an amulet-related option where he would tell you what he thinks it is, which then advances the quest further. After I did that, I then went to Viola and asked about the butcher, and she pointed me towards Jorlief, which advanced the quest another step. I think you have to have both #1 and #2 of the butcher's journals as well as the Beware the Butcher book (or was it a flyer?) in your inventory, which are located throughout Hjerim.

Anyways, that's what I did, and the quest completed without any issue. :)

After investigating Hjerim I always go straight to Viola to show her the journals. You have to have a copy of her Beware of the Butcher flyer in your inventory (which sounds like you do?). For whatever reason Jorleif would never speak to me directly after Hjerim so I go to Viola. She then sends you to Jorleif. If you have her flyers on you and it's still not working, then I'm just not sure what's going on.

Yes I have one of the flyers in my inventory, and when speaking to Viola I don't get any conversation options, she just tells me something when interacting with her.

I *just* finished this quest for the first time. When I got the amulet from Hjerim, I entered Calixto's house and talked to him - there was an amulet-related option where he would tell you what he thinks it is, which then advances the quest further. After I did that, I then went to Viola and asked about the butcher, and she pointed me towards Jorlief, which advanced the quest another step. I think you have to have both #1 and #2 of the butcher's journals as well as the Beware the Butcher book (or was it a flyer?) in your inventory, which are located throughout Hjerim.

Anyways, that's what I did, and the quest completed without any issue. :smile:

I have both #1 and #2 as well as one of the flyers and the amulet in my inventory, but I don't get any quest-related option while talking to Calixto.

Hm, that's really strange. Do you have the unofficial patches installed (assuming you're playing on a PC)? Apparently there were *tons* of bugs with that quest that were addressed with the unofficial patch. If all else fails you can advance the quest to the appropriate stage by looking up the quest ID on uesp, and then use the corresponding console command. Wish I could be of more help >_<

Hm, that's really strange. Do you have the unofficial patches installed (assuming you're playing on a PC)? Apparently there were *tons* of bugs with that quest that were addressed with the unofficial patch. If all else fails you can advance the quest to the appropriate stage by looking up the quest ID on uesp, and then use the corresponding console command. Wish I could be of more help >_<

I have the Unofficial Skyrim Patch installed, but it seems that this bug is not handled by the patch. I now progressed with the console commands, setstage MS11 70 for being able to talk to Jorleif after leaving Hjerim again, and after selling the amulet to Calixto while still being unable to talk to Viola, setstage MS11 90 to accuse the courtmage Wuunferth.

But thanks anyway for your help, both of you :thumbsup:

I have three different quests that never work right:

1. Blood on the Ice

2. Restoration Master Spell

3. A Taste of Death

My solutions:

1. Use the setstage questID# Stage# to either move the quest along or complete it.

2. Avoid the Restoration Master Spell like the plague - never ask Collette Marence about the quest.

3. Same as # 1.

Not sure that Bethesda ever patched these quests right or whether the Unofficial Patch is not working.

I am stuck at the quest "Blood on the Ice". What I have done so far:

• I arrived at Windhelm and picked up the quest from the guard standing near the three witnesses and the body.
  • I spoke with the witnesses.
  • I spoke to Jorleif.
  • I spoke to Helgrid.
  • I followed the blood trail to Hjerim.
  • I got the key to Hjerim from Friga Shatter-Shield after speaking with a guard for access.
  • I investigated the chest, the shelf, the wardrobe and the altar and took and read the eleven letters and the two Butcher's journals, and took the amulet.

At this point, according to the walkthrough on UESPWiki, I should be able to show the amulet and the journal to Jorleif and to speak with Viola Giordano and Calixto Corrium. But that does not happen. The quest progress is still showing to "Look for clues" and neither Jorleif nor the other two have a conversation option regarding the quest.

I also reloaded the game to a point when I already spoke with the witnesses but not already to Jorleif, but that did not change anything.

So, does somebody know any help how I can progress?

I have the exact same problem right now. Viola doesn't care about the journals. She just says one line about the butcher and moves on.

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

In my current game, I have been able to successfully complete a Taste of Death and the Master Restoration Spell quests, so I am hopeful that Blood on the Ice will work this time as well. I am thinking that jettisoning all those SMPC mods may have done the trick.