Blood on the Ice Bug

Philtroy93

• 1 month later...

I tried looking through my Mod List and Deleted Every Mod (Except the Legendary Unofficial Patch) and Loaded a Save where im still near the Beginning of the Game, then i went straight to Windhelm and started the Quest right up to the point where im suppose to talk to Viola about the Journals and the Medallion, nothing is happening

I have no clue as to what Mod could be causing it, so it wouldent even make a difference to start a Fresh New Game from scratch just to see if the Quest Progressed, because if it does, how will i tell what Mod broke the Quest.

Edited by daventry

• 2 weeks later...

This little trick fixes 95% of all bug I encounter -

1)Save game

2)Exit

3)Open Explorer (or Total Commander, or what ever you use to browse your files)

4)Find C:\Users\[your username]\My Documents\My Games\Skyrim

5)Delete Skyrim.ini file (DON'T! touch anything else for your own sake, especially the Saves folder!)

6)Start Skyrim. It will look as if starting for the first time, giving out the message "Graphics preferences were set to [insert quality here]" or something like that.

7)Enjoy the fixed bug.

There are a lot of bugs I fixed this way, including Blood on the Ice bug, the bug in Riften Ratway with Esbern, and much more.

Hope I helped!

• 1 month later...

This little trick fixes 95% of all bug I encounter -

1)Save game

2)Exit

3)Open Explorer (or Total Commander, or what ever you use to browse your files)

4)Find C:\Users\[your username]\My Documents\My Games\Skyrim

5)Delete Skyrim.ini file (DON'T! touch anything else for your own sake, especially the Saves folder!)

6)Start Skyrim. It will look as if starting for the first time, giving out the message "Graphics preferences were set to [insert quality here]" or something like that.

7)Enjoy the fixed bug.

There are a lot of bugs I fixed this way, including Blood on the Ice bug, the bug in Riften Ratway with Esbern, and much more.

Hope I helped!

Seems like I have added a few recommended tweaks over time which would be lost. Blood on the Ice is the only quest I have had any problem with in my current game and I have finished the major guests. Wish I was not dependent upon the setstage command to finish that quest.

• 4 weeks later...

BOTI doesn't have bugs.

BOTI is a bug.

Truth ^

The only way I can consistently get this quest to run the way it's supposed to is by not rushing through the conversations. I let everyone who speaks babble endlessly on until they have said their piece, and it works every time. Although... once Calixto wasn't in his store, he was just hanging out on the steps at Candlehearth. He still bought the Strange Amulet though, so I guess I don't care where he kicks it in what's left of his free time.