Soo about having copyrighted music in a mod

roguefreeman

But say, can i use the music from the previous elder scolls games?

like morrowind and olbivion without getting a copyright strike?

nope, Bethesda does not want assets from one game put into another... i dont remember why. one of these other fine gentlemen/ladies can probably tell you.

Edited by qwertyzeldar

A lot of asset are not created by Bethesda per se(And I mean a LOT of assets). They are bought via sites, or bought from freelancers. These always got a very strict license, which might not cover more than the game made at that moment. To avoid a shitstorm of issues and another shitstorm of lawyers mucking about, they simply avoid the possibility of transfering asset from games. Makes life simpler for them.

How about song covers made by the modder? Like you record yourself singing a Judas Priest song and add it to a bard? I remember seeing a mod with Zelda tunes, if I'm not mistaken.

covers still require permission from the copyright holder who owns the song that is being covered.

How about song covers made by the modder? Like you record yourself singing a Judas Priest song and add it to a bard? I remember seeing a mod with Zelda tunes, if I'm not mistaken.

covers still require permission from the copyright holder who owns the song that is being covered.

All those music replacers with covers from other games have express permission??

If I ask someone from OCRemix to put his stuff in a mod, I still have to look for permission from the game maker!? :ohmy: (Which means OCRemix is the hands of game maker's lawyers if they wish to hit the site.)

Can't I claim fair use!?

That's scary.

I still have to look for permission from the game maker!?

no, you have to find the copyright holder. the game maker doesnt usually have the copyright, they usually pay money to legally use it. sorta like renting i guess, you dont buy it you just borrow it.

I still have to look for permission from the game maker!?

no, you have to find the copyright holder. the game maker doesnt usually have the copyright, they usually pay money to legally use it. sorta like renting i guess, you dont buy it you just borrow it.

Yeah, when I said game maker, I was thinking about the one who made the original one for the game. I should have expressed myself better.

I'm sure the copyright holder could have OCRemix taking down a cover, but can they face legal shitstorm for what they do? Do they have a black list or a list of allowed games/companies/composers?

well lots of sites usually do what Youtube does where they just post anything and only remove it when the owners say "heeell no! you take that down or im gonna sue you!"

it's a very bad practice that the world has gotten into that sadly wont change anytime soon. hilariously that is one reason people hate Nexus and call it out as strict, when in reality it's just because they follow copyright laws. i dont know anything about OCRemix though, so no comment on that.