Ye olde problem: Quest won't start - but the mod is FINISHED!

CrisSpiegel

SOLVED! SOLVED! SOLVED! SOLVED! SOLVED!

LET IT SLIDE!

The great moment was nigh: I was about to finish my mod. It was time for the last test. So I started to play it from beginning to end, with no God Mode, hunting for remaining bugs and minor stuff that still needed to be changed. I was using saves, so I changed stuff and came back to the game to see how it was. Everything was really nice. True, some stuff I added then was bigger than planned, but everything seemed to turn out great.

Then, the horror. I went directly from title screen to some cells to test modifications and the NPC were not answering. I tried to trigger a scene from in-game mechanics and the scene didn't start. Nothing relating to the quest was working. So I loaded one of the save files and it worked, as the quest was open in the memory, but anytime I started a new game, it wouldn't work.

I looked for backup files as old as two days ago and they won't even start! The game crashes. As I didn't realized earlier that something was wrong, I don't have backup files older than those. So I sticked to the newest file but I can't find a clue. The .SEQ file is there. The aliases seem to be correctly tagged. The scripts are compiled. Papyrus logs don't reference the quest.

What else can cause that to happen? Wrong property values in scripts? Dialogue conditions? Some scene data? If I run a check on TES5Edit, will it show me what's happening? TES5Edit have always accused errors, but most of them were just empty property values and unused stuff. Nothing new seems to show.

I know there are already topics here about quests that won't start, but all I've seen are about people starting to create mods and not knowing about .SEQ files or not tagging aliases, but there seem not to be a comprehensive listing of possible causes for the problem, so I'm not able to solve it.

The one guessing it right will be credited in-mod as the Ultimate Bug Buster.

Edited by CrisSpiegel

I remembered that I tagged an actor reference as Initially Disabled, but had forgot to change his alias. Really silly stuff, but it's so random that I was lucky to solve it.

Aliases not filling is a pretty unfortunate but common problem, yeah.