Undead animations for thralls & very old people

blaholtzen

It always bothers me when assets aren't used to their full potential, so I was wondering if it'd be possible to swap the animation set of resurrected thralls to the ones used by draugr and skeletons, seeing how they also are undead.

And further more I'd like to know if it'd be possible to also give these animations to some of the really old characters in the game, I mean if you're super old you're not likely to have the best posture, and if nothing else it would add some variety to crowds.

Now the issue here is the undead don't have all the animations that these characters use, unlike thralls that only need to be able to walk around and kill stuff, so the real question there is if its possible to make them use undead animations for everything possible, and otherwise use the default humanoid ones. If so it'd be great to see characters like:

Olava the Feeble, Lillith Maiden-Loom, Septimus Signus, Skald the Elder, Hrolfdir, Esbern, Noster Eagle-Eye, Anise etc.

all walking around like their backs are going bad. Instead of walking around as spry and graceful as any youngster.

Characters like the Graybeards and Eorlund Gray-Mane however seem to be in a lot better shape so they'd probably fit better the way they are.

Hows that sound? Is it doable?

Edited by blaholtzen

• 2 weeks later...

It would definitely be possible. Older people even have their own race, so it wouldn't be very hard. I think it would look a little funny if they went from walking hunched over to sweeping a floor with good posture or something like that, though.

It would definitely NOT be possible. You cannot exchange animations between character/creature, or creature/creature (with few exceptions like draugr/skeleton or dog/wolf)

They all have different skeletons (different bone sets, very often different names). And the skeleton architecture is different, so animations would usually look silly, if the bone angles defined in an animations are transported to a different skeleton.

Then the animations. There are only 13 walk/run for draugrs, 16 for characters (different names btw.). Where do you get the rest? You can't use the standard ones, because Skyrim is ALWAYS blending 2 or more animations to make transitions look smooth. Now that would look silly if you blend draugr with character.