Fallout 4 Modding

xENJAJVEx

Hello

Feel free to ignore the wall of text.

I'm just wondering what are your guy's thoughts on modding Fallout 4? How easy is it going to be?

For example, quest mods... With a voiced protagonist and a dialogue system which revolves around a voiced

player character, I think it'll be pretty awkward when it comes to quest mods. I know there might be one or two

really large projects with multiple voice actors but those smaller mods with only 20 endorsements or so/made by people

who can't afford to hire professionals, etc. are quite frankly, some of the best ones out there, in my opinion of course.

Although, I do have an idea on how to combat this... Why not grab the bull by it's horns and strip Fallout 4 of it's voiced player

character/completely revamp the dialogue so that it's similar to how it was in every other Fallout to date? A lot of effort, yes. It'd

take time (years?) as you'd probably have to manually type up all the dialogue into a dialogue window. But, it's doable. Because

if someone did this for the community, then the people who prefer a 'muted' PC or in other words, the traditional dialogue system

can be satisfied and also people like me who could use it in combination with a mod that doesn't have voice acting - it'd make a

lot of people happy. I doubt I'm the first person to think of this and I know somewhere out there is a hardcore Fallout fan who loves

every Fallout (even the Originals) who'll ensure Fallout 4 is modded into Oblivion so that it suits their fairly acquired tastes. Removing

the forced voiced dialogue, in my opinion, would be paramount to modding Fallout 4/overhauling it to be more like previous Fallouts.

Of course, if that doesn't happen... Quest mods are going to be difficult to work with/gonna take a lot more effort to design. So, that's

just one thing right there and by far the most obvious. Honestly, this is probably the only thing I'm worried about when it comes to

Fallout 4 and modding (which is a massive part of the experience) but that won't stop me from enjoying it. Anyways, your thoughts?

Feel free to discuss, share your opinions, etcetera.

who can't afford to hire professionals

hire? you realize just about every voice actor who has contributed to a mods creation hasnt been paid right? it's all volunteer work for the most part.

either way this topic has been discussed quite extensively here: http://forums.nexusmods.com/index.php?/topic/2989934-f4-mod-question-difficult-with-main-character-now-talking/

who can't afford to hire professionals

hire? you realize just about every voice actor who has contributed to a mods creation hasnt been paid right? it's all volunteer work for the most part.

either way this topic has been discussed quite extensively here: http://forums.nexusmods.com/index.php?/topic/2989934-f4-mod-question-difficult-with-main-character-now-talking/

Thanks for the link. I posted there (I resurrected the post although it wasn't that long since someone last posted).

Now, I should probably delete this post but it took me an hour to write up so I don't want to. I'll just go to bed now and hope some wizard makes it disappear. :laugh:

Now, I should probably delete this post but it took me an hour to write up so I don't want to. I'll just go to bed now and hope some wizard makes it disappear.

we dont delete posts here on the Nexus unless the mods/admins decide there's something wrong with it

• 2 weeks later...

Honsetly, I dont see the whole issue with the voicing.
Quest mods wont be able to be voiced for the protagonist, sure that'll be insonsitent, but it wont be game-breaking. I mean, can't be worse than some of the quest mods here in NV that has forced-dialogue options with wording I'd never use for a character. Sure, the choices in the prompts shown to us in the preview are rather.... bare bones, and the bulk of the player-dialog is delivered as the voice with the prompt only showing the gist, but that doesnt mean you wont be able to, you know, write the whole dialogue choice to show up in the prompt.

If anything, I feel some modders are really going to have a bit of a hard time with custom power armors.

I mean, its great that powal power armor, ther armors are finally, like, actuings that turn you into a literal walking tank instead of just having you wear bulky clothing with higher stats, but that suit-up animation with the cascading theme, and extra meshing and textures for the inside. Really, it looks like the effort required for custom power armor, aside from just retextures, is gonna skyrocket a bit.

I said it once, and I'll say it again... I'm building Miami for Fallout 4. Now, how much I can add in NPC content is still up in the air. In the end, we'll all just need to take a look at the F4 GECK to see how they intend to implement that stuff.

I said it once, and I'll say it again... I'm building Miami for Fallout 4. Now, how much I can add in NPC content is still up in the air. In the end, we'll all just need to take a look at the F4 GECK to see how they intend to implement that stuff.

Honsetly, I dont see the whole issue with the voicing.

Quest mods wont be able to be voiced for the protagonist, sure that'll be insonsitent, but it wont be game-breaking. I mean, can't be worse than some of the quest mods here in NV that has forced-dialogue options with wording I'd never use for a character. Sure, the choices in the prompts shown to us in the preview are rather.... bare bones, and the bulk of the player-dialog is delivered as the voice with the prompt only showing the gist, but that doesnt mean you wont be able to, you know, write the whole dialogue choice to show up in the prompt.

If anything, I feel some modders are really going to have a bit of a hard time with custom power armors.

I mean, its great that powal power armor, ther armors are finally, like, actuings that turn you into a literal walking tank instead of just having you wear bulky clothing with higher stats, but that suit-up animation with the cascading theme, and extra meshing and textures for the inside. Really, it looks like the effort required for custom power armor, aside from just retextures, is gonna skyrocket a bit.

Yeah, I've gotten over it now... It's up to Bethesda what they do with the series. And a game's a game...

• 1 month later...

Yeah as far as i know we do not like people who charge money for content here.

no one can legally charge money, though im not against modders being paid.

Other then Steam... I dont think anybody here on the nexus OB/F3/FNV/TESV does or has ever made any money working on mods, and i for one would look down apon anybody who has.

there is a donation system on the Nexus and only one modder as far as anybody knows has made anywhere near a hundred dollars.

EDIT: i guess some people offer money to see mod request get attention, but i think this is a dirty tactic that should not be allowed here.

it's a banable offense on the Nexus actually.