Some General Tips and Shortcuts

Theodarius

To create entirely new body parts, you'll need some sort of 3d editing program and the skill and patience needed to use the program correctly.

I find it rather confusing, but I'm sure a more competent person will give you a more thorough answer.

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As stated above, you'll need to use a 3D model editing program.

There are many to choose from: Maya, 3DS Max, Houdini. But only 3DS Max is has a plugin that allows you to export models for use with the game.

http://www.discreet.com/3dsmax/

Discreet wrote 3DS Max. Sadly, I don't think it has a free educational license. Maya and Houdini, however, do. I recommend Houdini, as it is a little easier to use and doesn't plaster logos all over your renders.

http://www.vislab.usyd.edu.au/sidefx/

That's a mirror for the Houdini Apprentice license.

About making races, you'll need to create model for each body part. A model is a file describing what the piece is shaped like. I'm sure you've seen pictures wire-frame objects. That is a model, but without textures. Textures are files that get wrapped around model at runtime(when the game uses the body part).

Obviously, you'll need to make both a model and a texture for every body part you wish to add. There is probably also a few other things you may need to do to make your new body part work with the TES, but I just found out I had a TES. ^_^

• 5 months later...

There is an evaluation version of 3DS Max 6.0 that runs for 60 days and gives you an option to purchase a license at the end of that term. There is also TrueSpace 3D from Caligari Software. Blender 3d is a free, open source modeling program, and it has fairly good support. A quick Google search turned up about half a dozen fairly good programs. However, if I understand correctly, 3DS Max is the only modeling program with support for the NIF format required by Morrowind. If you are looking at just trying to get used to 3D modeling in general (not Morrowind specific), I’d try one of the above.

Caligari Sotware - TrueSpace

Blender 3D - Open Source Modeling Program

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Hey Mojosmackwit, I need to know, is there a plug-in for 3dsMAX 6 that exports/inports .NIF files? I don't have versions 3-5 which currently DO have a plug-in for .NIF file inporting and exporting so a plug-in would save my life! Sorry if this is off topic but I also feel like creating body part models and I simply cannot use them in the game! :angry2: *insert sound of raging idiot*

I can how ever save them as a .NIF file by opening 3dsMAX 6, making the model, saving it as a .3ds file, then opening a program called Anim8or and from there opening the 3ds file and saveing it as a.NIF file however the game claims that it is an unrecognized .NIF format. please help!

• 4 weeks later...
I'm new to TESCS...so far i've learned the basics , how to make races,items etc. but everytime I make a vampire face for my race it never shows up in game, then I just have a char with hair and no head... does anyone know how to fix this or do I have to have bloodmoon and tribunal? any :help: would be great.

1. check if the head is in the mesh folder

2. check if the head mesh is correctly assigned in tesc. So that you have chosen the right mesh for the head.

3. check if you have checked the checkbox for vampire. Coz if you haven't done that which is the problem I guess there isn't any vampire head. You have to check that one.

Hope it works!

• 3 months later...

Hi!

I've just downloaded thit 30 days trial version of 3dsmax 7 hoping that I also can try to create something myself in TES CS, and it doesn't recognise .nif files at all! :(

What's wrong? Does it need something in addition like some kind of special plugin?

:help:

I'm sorry if the question is stupid, but I'm really n00by in this.

Correction:

I've read other topics from this and other forums and found out that:

1. the plug-in for .nif files is really needed,

2. all the plug-ins that I found are made for 3dsmax 3 and 4 and they don't work with 2dsmax 7

3. from the downloadable trial versions only 3dsmax 7 is available ...

So, still :help: !

• 4 weeks later...