Fallout 4 scepticism...

Signette

I really need to stop reading stuff on this website... The negativity just zapps my energy...

I think I will just go back to the rest of the world where people get excited about new stuff like building settlements and customization weapons as opposed to whining all the time.

Thank god there are people out there that just enjoy games for me to make mods for.

• Replies 150
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Oh, that's just hilarious: "We know we'll get a buggy game. If you like other Bethesda games, then you'll like this one, bugs and all."

Best possible customer mindset I ever seen, so company keeps shoving bug-ridden, broken, unplayble products our way, aaaand we have to like it, instead of pointing out that it's not how we want it to be and stimulate Beth on working harder on their products that we pay our cash for...

Also, very good point mentioned above, as much as Morrowing was broken, with Skyrim they hit the mark, seriously, even most stoic gamers and mod authors literally whining about quality, and that's everywhere... Chances that with FO4 they'll hit new mark, I hope game won't start melting our motherboards on installation at least...

Don't get me wrong, idea or rather concept of those games are fantastic, but execution is terrific, if Beth will get their **** together and switch from "Creation Engine" to, say, UE4 OR learn HOW to use this old relic called Gamebryo we would be MUCH more satisfyed, isn't that clear? Well that's my main point anyway.

Considering graphics: as I mentioned before - Wasteland 2 (which I finished sever times already) and have absolutely no problems with visuals, because they FIT this game, despite it has been made on Unity!!! (gods forgive). And I also play even today some 8-bit stylized games and have blast with it. BUT Fallout 4 is FPS/TPS, so basically AAA action game, and if it is, it has to be on par with competitors. If they would go for classic isometric view, I wouldn't even have a problem if game would be in full 2D, but they advertise their game as modern high quality product, to appeal mass public in general, so I don't want to see visual knockoff 2008 with same ol' wooden animations and clunky shooting mechanics. I want to enjoy shooting or hitting stuff, like in new Wolfenstein for example. But that's just me and it's FAR from being considerable issue of this game, I'm sure.

Did you see that leaked Gamescom video? the game looks no better than FO3.

Fallout 4 will have bugs, but it's to be expected of a large open-world game developed by a relatively small team.

Do I think Fallout 4 will be awesome? F*** yeah, it's gonna rock! Got a problem with graphics? Mod them. Got a problem with the voiced protagonist? Mod it out. Want to tweak your game to be a paradise with rainbows and chocolate fountains? Then damn bloody well mod it. That's the beauty of Bethesda games! :D

If Fallout 4 didn't have mods? Then I wouldn't be looking forward to it quite as much. I'd still get it, but I wouldn't be hyped.

True but how much will all those required mods cost? paid modding hasn't gone away and I don't want to have to spend several hundred quid to bring the game up to par.

Fallout 4 will have bugs, but it's to be expected of a large open-world game developed by a relatively small team.

Do I think Fallout 4 will be awesome? F*** yeah, it's gonna rock! Got a problem with graphics? Mod them. Got a problem with the voiced protagonist? Mod it out. Want to tweak your game to be a paradise with rainbows and chocolate fountains? Then damn bloody well mod it. That's the beauty of Bethesda games! :D

If Fallout 4 didn't have mods? Then I wouldn't be looking forward to it quite as much. I'd still get it, but I wouldn't be hyped.

Sure, and get CTD every 5 minutes with broken saves every 10 :D

Oh, that's just hilarious: "We know we'll get a buggy game. If you like other Bethesda games, then you'll like this one, bugs and all."

Best possible customer mindset I ever seen, so company keeps shoving bug-ridden, broken, unplayble products our way, aaaand we have to like it, instead of pointing out that it's not how we want it to be and stimulate Beth on working harder on their products that we pay our cash for...

I'm not saying you're wrong to point it out. I'm saying Bethesda's like that sexy, fun, intelligent girl with *terrible* taste in music. Look, it's definitely a drawback that her music collection is awful, but you know what? That's just who she is, take her or leave her.

Same with Bethesda. Yeah, of course it would be better if their games featured less bugs--just like it'd be better if her music tastes improved--but you can't change them. You can't do it by pointing out what literally everyone knows, and you can't do it by "voting with your wallet" because their sells improve with every game. Sorry, but this is the Bethesda we've got. We may not like it, but bugs are part of who they are. Take em or leave em.

Edited by RS13

If you pay for something you have every right to expect the thing to work, yeah the odd bug can't be helped but their games are riddled with them, sometimes very serious ones. If you bought a TV, got it home only to find the picture flickers constantly and the sound doesn't work you'd want your money back, games are no different, they're a commercial product. I'm not suggesting people shouldn't buy the game, I'm suggesting they should wait, their initial experience will be greatly improved if they do, all it takes is a little bit of self control.

Sure, and get CTD every 5 minutes with broken saves every 10 :D

Yeah, but mostly that's the user's fault. As long as you be careful with the mods you install, you can still maintain a stable game. I have over 200 plugins for Skyrim, a high quality ENB and I get a stable 50-60 frames and hardly ever crash. You have to be meticulous with your installation. ;)

If you pay for something you have every right to expect the thing to work, yeah the odd bug can't be helped but their games are riddled with them, sometimes very serious ones. If you bought a TV, got it home only to find the picture flickers constantly and the sound doesn't work you'd want your money back, games are no different, they're a commercial product. I'm not suggesting people shouldn't buy the game, I'm suggesting they should wait, their initial experience will be greatly improved if they do, all it takes is a little bit of self control.

Unfortunately not everyone thinks like that. I want to believe Fallout 4 is going to work right out the box, but I know it won't. It hasn't for a very long time with their previous titles and it won't with Fallout 4. No game should be 100% bug free but if you have 200+ bugs in your game, it's not been thoroughly tested. I hope that most pc users think twice before pre-order and wait before actually buying it. I know that the anticipation is hard, but boycott is a must if we want to be treated like loyal consumers.

A video game should be no different than any other commercial product on the market. However, this practice of broken games isn't just Bethesda. It's a practice that goes around in a circle in the gaming industry and the youth and the inexperience are the one's that don't realize that pre-ordering only gives them more of a reason to continue this bad practice. It's not professionalism. It's not reliable and efficient when a company has this ongoing history of criticism due to faulty products. I can only hope that Todds words about really putting everything into this game that he really means it. But after so many times dealing with the drama of their broken games, I cannot rely on his word, nor give in to temptation to buy their product until I review the followering...

1. The game isn't massively broken leaving it unplayable. If it is, the quality of the game depends on whether or not it's still worth buying if support will continue last with this title. Remember that the FOSE team ditched Fallout 3 because it was a heavily bugged game. But to be frank, Skyrim is 100 times more bugged out than Fallout 3 and they've continued to support their SKSE for Skyrim for over 3 years. Even New Vegas is really bad with bugs, but what is worse for me with New Vegas, was their bugged out GECK that I could never really use and never got around to modding that game the way I could of. And with that...
  2. GECK or CK, what ever they decide to call the mod tool kit has to work for me. If not, there is no point in me playing a game like Fallout 4 because I only really play games I can mod because of the experience. So if their toolkit is as bad as FNV GECK, I'm not interested.
  3. Monetize system for mods - This may vary depending on what happens. But I assure and anyone that if there is a paid mod system implemented, I will not be sharing any guides, tutorials, and more so any of my mods I create. I fully support free mods. Always have and always will. It was a foundation built of freeware and I will by no means share information for some other person to make money off of. And it's a certain that this will cause a lot of talented modders to hide in the shadows because they fear of mod thievary. And for that, I will wait before coming to a conclusion. This means even after that toolkit is released because if they have any plans to do this, it's going to be behind our backs again. And I have no desire to sign any form of contract stating anything I use or even create (meshes and textures) I forfeit over to Bethesda under the condition that I abide by their terms while making any form of profite on the work I upload to Bethesda,net.
  4. if we get shafted from custom animations as we did for Skyrim I may opt out of this as well. I know Fore said he won't be doing another FNIS ever again. It's just too much of a hassle and I don't blame him. It's going to be up to someone else to sacrifice hundreds of hours if by any means it comes down to Bethesda doing this to us. i mean it's hard to say because Fallout and TES are different games, but Fallout 4 is on the Creation Engine so it's hard to tell.
  5. Bethesda.net being the only place to house mods for Fallout 4. I have an itchy feeling that Bethesda.net is going to be more trouble than ever. I hope I'm wrong about this, but if paid mods does occur, I can truly see the toolkit only work within their platform and plugins only wired through their platform. Basically forcing the player who decides to create mods only have access to files through their website.

I know it's a lot of speculation, but after the end of April when they tried to pull that paid mods on Skyrim, I distrust Bethesda completely. They underestimated their fans and I have a feeling they will attempt to do this again. That's how greedy corporations are. Always finding any way possible to make that extra crash. I just fear people give into this practice and it ruins what used to be a humble modest freeware mod scene that has existed perfectly fine without money being in the middle of it.

Edited by Guest

I one was a mindless FPS fanatic... Had a clan, and played Clan-base... the harder, the better. I used to say: "Give me a shotgun and 10.000 enemies, and ill be happy.."

Then.. I bought Fallout 3 on a whim and in a rush.. thinking it was an FPS.. only to be wtf ?... when i got to talk...

Now i am a RPG gamer to the core... i like the occasional FPS like L4D.. but my days are filled with RPG's. I hated Fallout NV though. hated it with a passion... still hate it.

Will i buy Fallout 4 ?... i already did.. like 2 months ago.

Will it have bugs to the edge of being unplayable ?... no doubt.

Would i want to smack Bethcrashda over the head, and scream: "Get your s*** together man.." absolutely.

Will the Nexus mod-community ride in and save the day ?.. again ?.... I sure hope so.

Will people, gamers, in general, start to finally boycott several devs to make playable games with only the occasional bug ?... No chance.

Will Company's like Bethesda, Bioware, EA, Microsoft etc.. stop fuelling the grabbing culture and only do stuff to fill their own pockets.. and start caring for their customers ?... No fooking way.

But what do i know ?... i am just an old timer who plays games.

I'm not buying it at release to be sure. Its the sad state of gaming now a days. I miss the days you could buy a game and bugs were rare.

I'll be buying FO4 after all patches and in a sale. By then there will be some good quality of life type mods out there too.

I actually liked Fallout 3/Skyrim. I put over 2k+ hours into vanilla on console and even more on PC.

I don't care about bugs really, more concerned about direction of the game. So
- Mass Effect Style Dialogue
- Minimization of NPC Interactions
- Less Events happening in the world (Loss of Radiant AI)

(New Creation Kit Side)
- Less Modular Design Methods
- Minimal Control of Basic Objects
- alot of other things

I am probably buying this on launch, depending on how my schedule is.