Rank names in Linux

el_master

Hello, I'm trying to change the rank names showing up in EW. I've edited ~/xew/xcomgame.int to update the rank names, but they aren't showing up in the game. I edited the EU names as well, and they work properly. Does anyone have any idea what's going on?

Well, I don't have a Linux install of the game, but I'm reasonably positive it does have an EXE. (That's a standard extension on Linux as well as other platforms.) Just not where you are looking. See the "Linux Differences" section of the "Basic Guide to installing mods" wiki article. Note that section also addresses that you have to copy modified INI files to get them read, so most likely you need to do the same for your INT files as well.

The UPKUtils/PatcherGUI tools have been ported to Linux, so you should grab them from the GITHUB link on the Nexus download page and use it (under "Options" on the menu) to "Enable INI Loading".

-Dubious-

Edited by dubiousintent

Hey got this one solved. There's a second xcomgame.int. It's located in ~/steamapps/common/XCom-Enemy-Unknown/xew/binaries/share/feraloverrides. Editing this one gave me the desired changes.

Glad to hear you got it working. Thanks for the progress report. Added to the "Basic Guide".

-Dubious-

• 1 month later...

Hey got this one solved. There's a second xcomgame.int. It's located in ~/steamapps/common/XCom-Enemy-Unknown/xew/binaries/share/feraloverrides. Editing this one gave me the desired changes.

Glad to hear you got it working. Thanks for the progress report. Added to the "Basic Guide".

-Dubious-

Actually, the correct path is:

~/.local/share/Steam/steamapps/common/XCom-Enemy-Unknown/binaries/share/feraloverrides

There is also a symlink at ~/.steam that points to ~/.local/share/Steam, so maybe el_master was refering to ~/.steam/steamapps/common/...etc...etc, but we should not rely on such convenience (perhaps legacy) symlinks.

For EW, the path is very similar:

~/.local/share/Steam/steamapps/common/XCom-Enemy-Unknown/xew/binaries/share/feraloverrides

I'm still not sure game will actually apply the changes in those files, but at least that's where they're located. Hope this helps! :D