Modders & Writers: Hand in hand

palaminopony

The process is usually that the modder has an idea and creates a mod. He or she might ask for help from writers to write the meat of the dialogue or sidequests or books or the like, but seldom do they turn to writers for basic concepts. Thats my thoughts, anyway.

Depends on the mod. Beyond Skyrim has a whole writing department, and they do the writing, we implement, etc. Some mods have this. Some mods don't. Sometimes the mod author is a capable enough writer - sometimes they just think this and it's not actually true, also. Sometimes they don't want to work with writers. Sometimes there's no need. And sometimes they do. It's whatever ends up happening.

Edited by Mattiewagg

im kinda the reverse of above, im a writer (i dont spend a lot of time editing anything i post on this site) and i tried to mod and honestly havent been very successful with it. so i look to modders to help make my ideas into something i can use in game. so far though the Bethesda games havent been very well made for somethings i'd like to pass on to the modders. all that will change with FO4 most likely.

im kinda the reverse of above, im a writer (i dont spend a lot of time editing anything i post on this site) and i tried to mod and honestly havent been very successful with it. so i look to modders to help make my ideas into something i can use in game. so far though the Bethesda games havent been very well made for somethings i'd like to pass on to the modders. all that will change with FO4 most likely.

What would you say your success rate with finding modders, as a writer is?

Recently I'm particularly fond of a notation convention: single quotes for player spoken lines, double quotes for npc spoken lines. For example, with a good font the following conversation fragment is perfectly readable:

-> "Might be the sympathetic magic. Similar things are attracted."
       -> 'Why similar things are attracted?'
         -> "What do you mean, 'Why similar things are attracted?'"
           | 'Why they are attracted - that is a question.'
           | 'How are they doing that?'
           | 'What does that mean? What is it, this feeling?'
             -> "Of course, it's an excellent question."
                "..."

Of course you can use double quotes for pc lines and single quotes for npc lines, wouldn't be much of a problem.

Edited by simtam

What would you say your success rate with finding modders, as a writer is?

1 out of 5. chances of it going beyond concept so far.... 1 out of 24

It's because most modders have their own ideas, their own things to do. Writers don't bring as much to the table because they can't actually implement it. Not that writers can't be important and beneficial to a project - but you can't make a mod with just a writer. You can make many as just an author.

It's because most modders have their own ideas, their own things to do. Writers don't bring as much to the table because they can't actually implement it.

i agree, it's just that i often just want a model made because i cant actually make my own (dont have the programs or knowledge of how to use them) nor do i understand how scripts are supposed to be made (which im trying to correct). i can easily do the rest, such as implementing and adding the stats and all that. i also dont even care if im the one to upload and share it, some credit would be nice but again i dont care either way.