• Please log in to reply
33 replies to this topic

DAT619

DAT619

Stranger

• Supporter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Re-installing Skyrim with NMM after getting a new computer that will be able to run it properly, and I am greeted with a "Skyrim Setup" box that wants me to choose the directories where certain files will be stored.

However, I want to use the Multi-HD option to conserve space, but I am confused into what I should put into the last two boxes, (Mod Directory and Install info is simple enough even, for me  :tongue:), Extracted and Installed mods, and Extracted files.

Basically, I want as much as I can to go onto my D:\ drive, while my actual Skyrim install resides on the C:\ drive, as follows:

Skyrim install:

C:\Games\Steam\steamapps\common\skyrim

Nexus Mod Manager install:

D:\Games\Nexus Mod Manager

Store Skyrim Mods:

D:\Games\Nexus Mod Manager\Skyrim\Mods

Store Skyrim Install info:

D:\Games\Nexus Mod Manager\Skyrim\Install Info

Which paths will I therefore need for each box under "Virtual Mod Install Setup", keeping in mind I want to keep as many files as possible on "D:\"?

Thanks!

DuskDweller

DuskDweller

Resident poster

• Premium Member
  • 3,081 posts

Currently there seems to be a few issues with the multi-hd mode, so I advise you to wait next week so we'll get it fixed.

Anyway when you use the multi-hd mode, you can save space by selecting the VirtualInstall folder to be on a different drive from the game's one, so you'll get all the heavy textures and meshes on it (but also keep in mind that if you put those files on a slow HD, then you could get slow downs while in game).

Problem is, there as some files that won't work using this system, or at least not for everyone (.esp, .esm, .exe and some other), that's why you'll need to setup that NMMLink folder that NMM will use as a container for all those files that needs to be located on the same hard-disk as the game.

DAT619

DAT619

Stranger

• Supporter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Thanks for the reply. Will the update change what I need to type in the boxes? If not, could you possibly help me with what I need to type into the boxes now? I'm assuming you mean all boxes will be the D: drive and the last one will be my C: drive according to my setup. Apologies if you can't help for now though : )

DuskDweller

DuskDweller

Resident poster

• Premium Member
  • 3,081 posts

Version 0.60.6 will fix all those multiHD issues (hopefully) .

Mods and Install Info should be set as what you have always used.

Virtual Install should be set on the drive where you want the files to be physically installed (this must be on the same HD as the game (or better where mod files are usually installed), or anywhere if you use multiHD).

If you enable MultiHD mode, you must set the Link folder on the drive where the game is located (or better where the game's Data folder is located), you select a path, NMM will automatically add to it {GameName}/NMMLink

DAT619

DAT619

Stranger

• Supporter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Thank you man, I really appreciate it, I usually have trouble understanding even simple stuff. The dialog box accepted it but I am yet to test any mods and see if most of their files end up in the right drive, but I won't bother you anymore with my problems, thanks man :)

DuskDweller

DuskDweller

Resident poster

• Premium Member
  • 3,081 posts

Also keep in mind that if you use the MultiHD mode you shouldn't set the VirtualInstall folder on a very slow drive (like and external usb drive) cause it could cause ingame stuttering.

DAT619

DAT619

Stranger

• Supporter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Thank you for all the help

Moksha8088

Moksha8088

Resident poster

• Supporter
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,936 posts

Currently there seems to be a few issues with the multi-hd mode, so I advise you to wait next week so we'll get it fixed.

Problem is, there as some files that won't work using this system, or at least not for everyone (.esp, .esm, .exe and some other), that's why you'll need to setup that NMMLink folder that NMM will use as a container for all those files that needs to be located on the same hard-disk as the game.

Will this double the ssd space needed?  

I have my skyrim game stuff on the ssd, but have fallout 3 and fallout new vegas on one of the hard drives.  Would I be right in assuming that more ssd space would be needed for those games too?

KunoMochi

KunoMochi

Unashamed food junky

• Premium Member
  • 2,031 posts

Yes, it is essentially moving all of the mods from that one drive to your SSD. The symlinks created should ensure that the files are being redirected to the SSD.

DuskDweller

DuskDweller

Resident poster

• Premium Member
  • 3,081 posts

No it won't double it.

If you use MultiHD mode it will reduce it (since you can put textures and stuff on another drive instead of the Skyrim's Data folder), but they will load slower than the base stuff since they're no longer on a SSD drive, it shouldn't cause you any issue if your drive is not a snail.

If you use the default install mod the space will stay the same, the real files will go in the VirtualInstall folder instead of the Data folder. What you'll see then in the Data folder is not really there.

Page loaded in: 0.711 seconds