• Please log in to reply
33 replies to this topic

Higgenboober

Higgenboober

Fan

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 306 posts

I'm a little confused though because the textures and stuff would still be running from the Data > Textures folder and not Nexus Virtual Install folder, right?  So if I put Nexus Virtual Install folder on a seperate hard drive wouldn't the mods still install onto the SSD and run off them?  Because in my Fallout 4 I have a copy of all my mods:  One in the virtual install folder (on SSD), and in the Data folder (also SSD).

KunoMochi

KunoMochi

Unashamed food junky

• Premium Member
  • 2,031 posts

Higgenboober, the way it works is that the bulk of it will be extracted into the Virtual Install folder on Drive A, then NMM will create links (a kind of "shortcut") in the Data folder on Drive B that will link back to Drive A. The game will read the links as if they are the real files when in fact they are on another drive/folder.

If you think about it, it is a pretty cool idea. :) You can practically move the files anywhere you like, and as long as you have the file correctly linked, the game requiring the files to be in the Data folder will think that they really are there.

bben46

bben46

I had a title once, but I forgot what it was.

• Premium Member
  • 24,973 posts

You can think of the entries on your virtual folder as an index that tells the NMM where to find the actual file. Similar to a card file in a library. The name and certain information about every book in the library will be in the card file. Some of that information will be the name of the file, the size of the file and where the file is actually located.

Higgenboober

Higgenboober

Fan

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 306 posts

I get what you're saying, but it doesn't seem like thats the way its installed for my fallout 4 setup.  For example, my Data > Textures folder is over 5GB (everything has been installed with NMM), which is pretty much the size of all my texture mods (combined and overwritten size).  If it were linking to the mods in the virtual folder, then shouldn't the data > textures folder be empty or significantly smaller rather than just a direct copy?

If i RENAME or delete my virtual install folder, Fallout 4 still runs with the mods flawlessly, so that tells me the virtual install folder isn't being used to run the game at all.

stlangley

stlangley

Stranger

• Premium Member
  • 2 posts

This is a new system and set up differently then my old one.

I have installed 2 SSD;s and one standard drive, lets call then #1 and # 2 and #3 ...

# 1 Runs windows amd all programs that have to be installed inside the windows shell. (for example Steam and Origin) for these run better on the windows drive.

# 2 Is where all games from Steam and Origin are downloaded and installed. ###Edit....My Documents folder is on Drive #2 as well

#3 Is a 3 T. drive for Back ups and archives

This new NMM is confusing me. For now lets just pick a game and say Dragon Age 2.

Remember this game runs from #2 drive

I need a little help setting up the paths, correction on how I have it set up and help with Vitual mod.

I do not beleive I would require the use of the Multi-HD feature.

Drive #1 Install Nexus Mod Manager.

Drive #3 Mod Directory

Drive #2 Install Path

What do I do with the Virtual Install and what would happen if I just left that blank or gave it a bogus path?

Or would I have a better experience if I had the mod directory and the virtual drive the same path and on drive #2?

Thank you for you time

Cheers

DuskDweller

DuskDweller

Resident poster

• Premium Member
  • 3,081 posts

You can't set it blank or whatever, it's a needed folder for the new NMM, in case of DA2 mods are installed in the Documents folder, so if the documents folder is on 1, then VirtualInstall needs to be on 1.

lozneo

lozneo

• Members
  • Pip
  • 15 posts

Hi there, I'm having some issues with this Virtual Install business. I was trying to add some Dragon Age 2 mods and it asked me to update. So here's the issue. I've updated, and for me my mod directory is on my F drive. The install info is also on F drive. Then there's this Virtual Install thing. The tool tip says it REQUIRES this folder to be located on the same hard-drive where you normally install mods for this game. Great. I've set it to install to F drive... and I keep getting the following error: "You MUST set the Virtual Directory on the same HD as the usual mod install folder: Selected HD: F:\ - Expected HD: C:\". Why is it saying it expects to be put on C? I've never installed any mods on C. If I'm understanding this correctly, it needs to install to my F drive but it refuses to let me. What am I doing wrong here??

DuskDweller

DuskDweller

Resident poster

• Premium Member
  • 3,081 posts

Because Dragon Age installs mods in the Documents folder. (the NMM Mods folder is where mods are archived, not installed)

lozneo

lozneo

• Members
  • Pip
  • 15 posts

I know that. However, my Documents folder is NOT on my C drive - it's on my F drive. Is there any other reason this could be happening? This is also happening with other games, such as Fallout 4. I guess my real question is, why is the expected install location not actually where things are installed? As it is, I had to disable NMM and install mods manually for Dragon Age 2 since it refused to install them anywhere else but the C drive. And Multi-HD does not appear to be helping much. It still insists that things need to be put on the C drive for DA2 and the D drive for Fallout 4... This makes no sense.

Edited by lozneo, 09 December 2015 - 10:41 PM.

DuskDweller

DuskDweller

Resident poster

• Premium Member
  • 3,081 posts

NMM asks your OS for the My Documents folder path, if it's returning the one in C: it's not NMM's fault, it means you didn't properly configure it.

Page loaded in: 0.719 seconds