• Please log in to reply
33 replies to this topic

whickus

whickus

Fan

• Supporter
  • PipPipPip
  • 308 posts

If you use the default install mod the space will stay the same, the real files will go in the VirtualInstall folder instead of the Data folder. What you'll see then in the Data folder is not really there.

Then why is Windows reporting that my /Data folder size is increasing when I install texture mods? I thought they were supposed to be virtual? I can see the files in both places, I can see both locations increase in size. If it looks like a duck and sounds like a duck, Windows is going to treat it like a duck. Hence, duplication of data in the /Data folder and the Virtual folder.

This is with a fresh upgrade to 0.61.4 today after not using NMM for years. If that's how it's designed to work, I guess I don't understand the point as mods were working fine when they installed only to the /Data folder. Now, my SSD gets double the writes and mods occupy twice the space.

KunoMochi

KunoMochi

Unashamed food junky

• Premium Member
  • 2,031 posts

What Dusk is saying is that the files aren't duplicates. The symlink "duplicates" in the Data folder only contain the link path to the actual file as well as the metadata of the file (things like name, file size, file type, etc.). What the system is seeing is that metadata and not the actual size of the symlink itself. So in return, the system is reporting back false information about its file size.

If you want to know more, I suggest doing a quick read up on Symbolic links and Hard links here: http://www.diskferre...d Shortcuts.htm

Flickstro

Flickstro

Stranger

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

I'm having some trouble getting audio mods / audio from mods to load in-game. Texture and other visual mods load just fine and I thought I had everything set up correctly. The symlinks and files are all accounted for, but when I go to run it, I get silence or default songs / sounds. I'm not sure if it's a codec thing, or I misset one of the destination paths and I've tried troubleshooting it myself to no avail. I know it's a bit off-topic, but I figured this thread is the best chance I have to resolve the issue. Any help you can offer is truly appreciated.

Edit: The issue resolved itself when I reinstalled NMM and lumped everything onto C:\ . I really wanted to spare my SSD from those writes, but I suppose I'll just have to live with it.

Edited by Flickstro, 29 December 2015 - 03:18 PM.

mickhawley

mickhawley

Stranger

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Sorry to necro, but I'm having the same problem... OS is on C:, NMM and DA:O is installed on F:... the NMM setup won't let me configure the "virtual install" on anywhere but C:/, but my game is installed on F... the NMM lacks the option to have an "i understand" button or something and force it to another drive other than C:.  I don't want my mods clogging up my SSD... there's only like 80 gigs left.  I guess I could just be misunderstanding the whole thing...

NMM%20DA%20error_zps0hbu8bsp.png

Edited by mickhawley, 11 March 2016 - 06:06 PM.

logicsniper

logicsniper

• Supporter
  • Pip
  • 10 posts

Double post. Sorry

Edited by logicsniper, 04 June 2016 - 10:53 PM.

logicsniper

logicsniper

• Supporter
  • Pip
  • 10 posts

I'm having this exact problem too. What is the solution?

Thanks

Sorry to necro, but I'm having the same problem... OS is on C:, NMM and DA:O is installed on F:... the NMM setup won't let me configure the "virtual install" on anywhere but C:/, but my game is installed on F... the NMM lacks the option to have an "i understand" button or something and force it to another drive other than C:.  I don't want my mods clogging up my SSD... there's only like 80 gigs left.  I guess I could just be misunderstanding the whole thing...

NMM%20DA%20error_zps0hbu8bsp.png

Edited by logicsniper, 04 June 2016 - 10:52 PM.

djtalks

djtalks

Old hand

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 754 posts

Ok, so here is my issue, I got a 120g ssd for some reason my virt folder reports 42g's used and my normal data folder reports about 39.. if I remove the virt folder nothing seems to change in my game. why the heck do I have 42 gigs for a virt folder if its not needed?

izzlemaizzle

izzlemaizzle

Stranger

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

I fixed the virtual folder issue by doing as Dusk said.

Move your My Document's folder location to the required drive (in my case C: --> D: ) then reinstall NMM. It selected the D: location on Setup and had no issues from there.

jedp15

jedp15

Faithful poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,145 posts

What Dusk is saying is that the files aren't duplicates. The symlink "duplicates" in the Data folder only contain the link path to the actual file as well as the metadata of the file (things like name, file size, file type, etc.). What the system is seeing is that metadata and not the actual size of the symlink itself. So in return, the system is reporting back false information about its file size.

Alright so despite the fact that it's showing there's 2 instances of a mod being installed (one in virtual install, the other in the data folder; effectively doubling the size of a mod), in fact the only "real" file is in the virtual folder? So when my SSD runs out of space, it has not really run out of space? Well this is a problem because if the OS thinks an SSD/HDD has run out of space, it won't let you put anything else into it. On top of that, with people reporting that their mods still run fine without the virtual folder, then your program isn't doing what it's supposed to do.

Now I just tried the "multi HDD install / .symlink" method, and had some trouble. I was installing mods for New Vegas, and found that the esp/esm files weren't being installed into the data folder. This is a problem since FNVedit is basically required for modding, and it can only read files that are in the data folder. Either it's a bug with your latest version (.61.23) or a bad design. I think it's a bug because it did install 1 esp into the data folder, but every mod after that was left out.

billson123

billson123

Stranger

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

NMM asks your OS for the My Documents folder path, if it's returning the one in C: it's not NMM's fault, it means you didn't properly configure it.

Hey I´m having a problem installing mods fod DS2. It says: Selected HD: C:\ - Expected HD:

There is nothing after the "Expected HD" section. What can I do?

Page loaded in: 0.784 seconds