• Please log in to reply
33 replies to this topic

CodeKiller

CodeKiller

Journeyman

• Members
  • Pip
  • 35 posts

The easiest thing to do is using junction or symbolic links.

Check command mklink

In Nexus folder where you have the original VirtualInstall folder :

Example for me with Fallout 4

I:\Nexus Mod Manager\Fallout4\Mods\VirtualInstall

Delete the VirtualInstall (if you have nothing in it, in that case move it the new location for example the Z drive)

Then create the junction :

mklink /j VirtualInstall "Z:\Fallout 4\VirtualInstall"

That's all.

By the way I still do not understand the goal of virtualinstall...

GeneralJohn

GeneralJohn

Enthusiast

• Supporter
  • PipPip
  • 216 posts

Sorry for the thread necro but I would like to point out that the virtual install function never seems to have functioned as claimed, if I understand the developers, NMM is supposed to install symbolic links to the actual mods files in the games data folder, which refer to where the real files should be - inside the "virtual" folder - yet the files it installs into the games data folder are not symbolic links, they are the real files which can be opened and edited as normal, and if you were to completely delete NMM including its virtual folders, the game will still function and run as normal with all of the mods you installed.

All the virtual install folder is doing is taking up gigabytes of extra space by duplicating the actual games file structure for no apparent reason and I only noticed after years of pondering why my small SSD was losing so much space when installing mods.

Edited by GeneralJohn, 29 May 2017 - 09:51 AM.

arkadian19

arkadian19

Stranger

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Hi. I want to mod  Dark Souls 2. I installed it and had some problem with "unable to get write permission" but i solved it. Now i have to select the folder where NMM will place extracted files. It has to be the same hd as my game. So i choose C but i can't finish becouse i "MUST set  the Link Directory on the same HD as the usual mod install folder. Selected HD: C:\ - Expected HD: " And the problem is i have only 1 hd. What should i do to fix it?

lytas

lytas

Journeyman

• Members
  • Pip
  • 38 posts

none of this works

Page loaded in: 0.690 seconds